What's new

Best Gillette Rocket?

Question about my Rocket style razor, hope someone can help out. Kinda looks like a Giromatic head attached to a TV style handle that has a Herringbone knurling pattern unlike any other Rocket or Flaretip razor I own. Maybe a limited edition of some sort, would be my guess. Any info out there in the universe? Never seen another like it anywhere.

Thanks Preidy, you are a fount of knowledge when it comes to these Gillettes. Even tho the handle on my razor appears to be rhodium, the head looks like nickle plate. Also, the end caps on my razor are not the pointy rocket type but more like the American style end caps, which are found also on the Giromatic rocket razor as well. Maybe it is even more rare than the great examples you illustrated. Thanks again, life is sure interesting when one tries to figure out just what it is that one is shaving with or in the collection. My only wish was that Gillette should have had better and available documentation as to what was being produced, model details, quantities etc.
Well nuts I did not realize it had the square end caps. My screw up. So I agree you have a very uncommon Gillette. I still believe it's a Rhodium handle etc. Gillette is notorious for using up all parts and cases some times creating late model year set mismatches. They made a square cap flair tip (see pic #4 razor number 7) so they had access in the UK to the non-pointed caps. I guess the evidence suggest someone on the Brit line used a square end cap either by accident or design on a set #80 style razor - yours. Congrats you are the proud owner unique Flair Tip. Cheers.

There are plenty of Rocket models from the Blue, Flare and Red tips to the Parat and HD. From what I know, both the British and the US Blue, Flare and Red tips shave identical, but not everyone agrees. Same goes for the HD and the Parat. The only way to find out which one is the best of the bunch is to buy them all and use them for yourself.
Can't afford to buy them all but I do have a small cross-section of Rockets. A Parat, regular Rocket Flare tip, an HD500, two Giromatic rockets, and a previous #58, which didn't impress me with the shave. I find my Ranger Tech and 47 Aristocrat seem to keep up with the rest of the Rockets pretty well. My favorite rocket is the Parat, which was made in Germany, with a nice case to go with it.

Can't afford to buy them all but I do have a small cross-section of Rockets. A Parat, regular Rocket Flare tip, an HD500, two Giromatic rockets, and a previous #58, which didn't impress me with the shave. I find my Ranger Tech and 47 Aristocrat seem to keep up with the rest of the Rockets pretty well. My favorite rocket is the Parat, which was made in Germany, with a nice case to go with it.

I sold my Parat few years ago and I'm still mad about it. I think the British Rockets like the Red Tip, HD, Parat as well as the #58 and the 4th gen. British Aristocrats share pretty much the same heads. I haven't tried absolutely every version or model, but the ones I've used are very close to each other and the difference isn't that big. I do like the Aristocrats a bit more, because they are more flashy and nice looking.

Well nuts I did not realize it had the square end caps. My screw up. So I agree you have a very uncommon Gillette. I still believe it's a Rhodium handle etc. Gillette is notorious for using up all parts and cases some times creating late model year set mismatches. They made a square cap flair tip (see pic #4 razor number 7) so they had access in the UK to the non-pointed caps. I guess the evidence suggest someone on the Brit line used a square end cap either by accident or design on a set #80 style razor - yours. Congrats you are the proud owner unique Flair Tip. Cheers.
Thanks, I seem to end up somehow with unusual Gillettes for some reason. Thanks again for the info, you are way more informed than I am. I do have a problem with the handle though, deciding whether or not it is Rhodium plated or is it what the British call a "shiny nickle". It does shine more brightly than my known nickle razors, but seems to be lacking in the "whiteness" that is characteristic of Rhodium. My Rhodium plated comparison items are my 47 Aristocrat and 41 Ranger Tech. Of course, the exact alloys of Rhodium used, could have some variability in the physical characteristics. My shave with this razor was outstanding, good audio feedback, great smoothness of shave, lack of irritation, all hallmarks of the Rocket family.

Thanks, I seem to end up somehow with unusual Gillettes for some reason. Thanks again for the info, you are way more informed than I am. I do have a problem with the handle though, deciding whether or not it is Rhodium plated or is it what the British call a "shiny nickle". It does shine more brightly than my known nickle razors, but seems to be lacking in the "whiteness" that is characteristic of Rhodium. My Rhodium plated comparison items are my 47 Aristocrat and 41 Ranger Tech. Of course, the exact alloys of Rhodium used, could have some variability in the physical characteristics. My shave with this razor was outstanding, good audio feedback, great smoothness of shave, lack of irritation, all hallmarks of the Rocket family.
Thanks for the kind words but I'm no expert just passing along info (right or wrong) that I picked up here over the years from this motley crew. I too luv the various Brit razors. Pat

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
It's a Flair Tip Rocket Rhodium handle and Nickle plated model (I have two). The exact razor sold in the mid 50's in 2 seperate Gillette sets. The set #80 and the "Travelers Deluxe" set. The handle is very shiny. They are very uncommon. As far as I know there are only 7 Flair Tip Rockets which include the two Rhodium handle models. View attachment 1507947
View attachment 1507948View attachment 1507949View attachment 1507959View attachment 1507961

Is this a Rocket?

Rocket2.jpgRocket3.jpg

It looks like the model on the far left in your picture of 7 different models (pointy endcaps), which does NOT have the rhodium handle. Am I right?

Was this model also sold in the white box as depicted in your first photo, or a different box.

Any comments, opinions or further information about this particular model?

Is this a Rocket?

View attachment 1526672View attachment 1526673

It looks like the model on the far left in your picture of 7 different models (pointy endcaps), which does NOT have the rhodium handle. Am I right?

Was this model also sold in the white box as depicted in your first photo, or a different box.

Any comments, opinions or further information about this particular model?

Anything that looks like a Super Speed and it also has a made in England stamp on the bottom part of the base plate is a Rocket. From what I've heard, when the razor's got the name Super Speeds in the US, the British division of Gillette didn't like the name and instead they called them Rockets.

The razor on the right has a II on the base plate, which means that it's a late 50's or early 60's model.

I picked up a nice 1953 Rocket recently, a great deal with a couple of FBT's.
IMG_20220905_190917168.jpg

It seems to be this, it's basically an aluminum handled version of the HD. It comes in a shade under 60gms.
proxy.php

It's a fantastic shaver, and somewhat more efficient than my Super Speed 1948. A joy to use.

I have the Rocket bug now.

The mechanism is completely different to the Super Speed. The bottom 3 rings on the handle reveals an extra piece of handle when the head is locked up. Basically the handle gets a little longer or shorter if the doors are open or locked.

Why is it so radically different to the US designs? Were the London Gillette design team allowed technical freedom? Its the same with the EFBT.

I find these design divergences fascinating.

...I have the Rocket bug now.

The mechanism is completely different to the Super Speed. The bottom 3 rings on the handle reveals an extra piece of handle when the head is locked up. Basically the handle gets a little longer or shorter if the doors are open or locked.

Why is it so radically different to the US designs? Were the London Gillette design team allowed technical freedom? Its the same with the EFBT.

Bummer. I dont have a Rocket. I guess its time to go shopping again.
In just over a month's time you best believe I will be scouring the pawn brokers in West London for an HD.
This thread was a definite influence on me to use my beloved Red Tip for an amazing shave this morning.

Last edited:
I picked up a nice 1953 Rocket recently, a great deal with a couple of FBT's.
View attachment 1526682
It seems to be this, it's basically an aluminum handled version of the HD. It comes in a shade under 60gms.
proxy.php

It's a fantastic shaver, and somewhat more efficient than my Super Speed 1948. A joy to use.

I have the Rocket bug now.

Man, I want one now😫

In just over a month's time you best believe I will be scouring the pawn brokers in West London for an HD.
This thread was a definite influence on me to use my beloved Red Tip for an amazing shave this morning.
A bit of history: For a long time in the USA used safety razors were thrown away before and after estate sales because of health concerns (mostly unjustified). Entire contents of shaving nooks and cubbies were tossed. No one would sell an old safety razor.

Imagine the treasures lost. I can't bear the thought of a nice, now rare and highly desired set in the trash.

A bit of history: For a long time in the USA used safety razors were thrown away before and after estate sales because of health concerns (mostly unjustified). Entire contents of shaving nooks and cubbies were tossed. No one would sell an old safety razor.

Imagine the treasures lost. I can't bear the thought of a nice, now rare and highly desired set in the trash.
Gold-Plated Toggle what-now ?
:eek2:

Gold-Plated Toggle what-now ?
:eek2:
Oh no, I'm talking about history. Now everyone who sells anything will keep a vintage razor. I can't recall when but someone found a bucket of old Gillette razors, could be someone was selling metal scrap. Must have been 20 pounds worth or more. Was it Fatboys? Razors that people want now for scrap. Egads.

Oh no, I'm talking about history. Now everyone who sells anything will keep a vintage razor. I can't recall when but someone found a bucket of old Gillette razors, could be someone was selling metal scrap. Must have been 20 pounds worth or more. Was it Fatboys? Razors that people want now for scrap. Egads.
I remember reading about something very similar to that, possibly from another site...

Is it against TOS to post a link to another shaving forum? I found a 14 year old post that explains it very well. It's also where the "bucket of razors" story originated. 2 mysteries answered in one search.

Last edited:
Top Bottom