What's new

Best Free DVD player software.

OS. Vista.
I'd like to capture stills and get a ton of utilities. Intervideo used to be good, but it is not free anymore.

I don't know about recording but as a player, I like smplayer. It is some sort of frontend for mplayer. It looks good, plays about anything, is completely free and I think it works with Vista. I just like its screen layout when you open the application. It just seems "right". Heck, don't ask me whether that translates into proper operation. It just looks great.

Regards, Todd

No idea if it runs on Vista, but a quick google search will tell you: VideoLAN VLC Media Player.

Plays any type of media, practically.

Best.

J

No idea if it runs on Vista, but a quick google search will tell you: VideoLAN VLC Media Player.

Plays any type of media, practically.

I use vlc for any media that doesn't use subtitles. Its not the prettiest, but it does what it does, and does it well.

Vista, eh?

<crickets.wav>

Yeah... Better and much more stable than Mac X. People say X is a good OS, and I believe them, but for some reason I seem to crash it 80% of the times I get my hands on a mac. My PC keeps a log of how often it crashes. Last entry was yesterday. Frustrating really. But before that I have Thursday July 10th as my last crash. I guess a +2 month period between crashes ain't that bad considering my PC habits.
I have tried Ubuntu too, but even though I really like open source software, Windows Messenger brings me back to vista. Ubuntu has more resources that work well with embedded applications but I do not need that kind of capabilities right now.

Thanks! I will try the recommended software tomorrow.

I have tried Ubuntu too, but even though I really like open source software, Windows Messenger brings me back to vista.

There are quite a few messaging apps for ubuntu/linux: Gaim, pidgin, kopete, and amsn (for webcam support), just to name a few.

Yeah... Better and much more stable than Mac X. People say X is a good OS, and I believe them, but for some reason I seem to crash it 80% of the times I get my hands on a mac. My PC keeps a log of how often it crashes. Last entry was yesterday. Frustrating really. But before that I have Thursday July 10th as my last crash. I guess a +2 month period between crashes ain't that bad considering my PC habits.
I have tried Ubuntu too, but even though I really like open source software, Windows Messenger brings me back to vista. Ubuntu has more resources that work well with embedded applications but I do not need that kind of capabilities right now.

Thanks! I will try the recommended software tomorrow.

Sorry, I meant that to be more funny than snippy, but that's not really how it turned out. I use both Windows and Linux (and freely admit/claim that desktop Linux is far from ready for primetime), and detest equally Macs and Vista.

I really wanted to recommend mplayer.

Try VLC for you dvd needs, I'm pretty sure it does what you're looking for.

As for Messenger in linux check out "aMSN", it's pretty much a straight up MSN Live clone plus you can get a MSN Live skin for it to make it even closer.

I throw in another vote for VLC player. You just can't beat it as far as I'm concerned. The newest release (sometime last week I think?) has fixed a lot of the little problems that the previous versions had. I seem to remember reading in the release notes that subtitles was one of those problems that has been improved upon.

The other great thing about VLC is that it will play anything. If you've ever come across an odd type of media file and tried to open it in windows media player, most times media player will just look at you funny like you're crazy. VLC just opens it and begins playing. No searching for codecs, no searching for problems, no more sound without associated video, no questions asked... it just works.

Top Bottom