What's new

Best DE razor for the smoothest shave?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For me it seems like a moving target because as you learn more and your technique is solid you can get great results.
For DE razors with a Kia SS blade I get great results with my Razorock Game changer .84 and slightly smoother but not as efficient the Razorock SLOC with the Kai SS blade installed.(Don't get much better for myself)
Really the razor is the smoothest with excellent hand technique, knowing your beard grain direction map of your face and the right blade will give you the best stellar results any time any place any surroundings IMO.
FullSizeRender.jpg
print one off.

SE - go with any Gem Razor with Gem SS PTFE blade- I like the Featherweight 1st Generation 1950-52, Schick E2 or M3 injector great razors with a modern Schick blade. I enjoy the modern Personna SS PTFE blades more now, Very sharp with light touch in the milder Schick injectors.
Have some great shaves!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The OP's question is rather hard to answer in an objective way, since "the smoothest shave" will depend on personal preferences regarding the aggressiveness of the razor, the blade of choice, the type of beard and the skin sensitivity. All these parameters are very subjective. Therefore, I will just give my opinion on what I like and what works for me. My favourite choice are mild DE razors combined with very sharp/smooth blades. These set-ups give me superb BBS all the times. But again, that is just what works well for me.

The OP's question is rather hard to answer in an objective way, since "the smoothest shave" will depend on personal preferences regarding the aggressiveness of the razor, the blade of choice, the type of beard and the skin sensitivity. All these parameters are very subjective. Therefore, I will just give my opinion on what I like and what works for me. My favourite choice are mild DE razors combined with very sharp/smooth blades. These set-ups give me superb BBS all the times. But again, that is just what works well for me.
I second your opinion @Marco.

This is highly subjective, as skin type, beard density/coarseness will warrant for a different gear, as well as how often a person shaves.

Objectively though, as this is physics, the sharper the blade - the easier the shave. How good one's technique is to use the super sharp blade (aka Feather) is another issue.

From my own experience, for daily shave my money would be on the Feather AS-D2 with Feather blades. If I have a 3-4 day's growth I'd reach for my R41, which is also loaded with Feather blades. I would do my WTG with it, then take my AS-D2 for the XTG and ATG.

Each to his own I guess...

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I second your opinion @Marco.

This is highly subjective, as skin type, beard density/coarseness will warrant for a different gear, as well as how often a person shaves.

Objectively though, as this is physics, the sharper the blade - the easier the shave. How good one's technique is to use the super sharp blade (aka Feather) is another issue.

From my own experience, for daily shave my money would be on the Feather AS-D2 with Feather blades. If I have a 3-4 day's growth I'd reach for my R41, which is also loaded with Feather blades. I would do my WTG with it, then take my AS-D2 for the XTG and ATG.

Each to his own I guess...

Wise words indeed, Sir.

My favourite mild razors are: Edwin Jagger DE89 and 3ONE6, Merkur 34C HD and 42C 1904. I'd love to try the new Gillette Heritage released last year, but I have no information at the moment if Amazon will get it back in stock. By the way, anyone here to shed some light on the Gillette's Heritage availability?

Regarding blades, my favourite ones are: Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Nacet and Israeli Red Personna.

Wise words indeed, Sir.

My favourite mild razors are: Edwin Jagger DE89 and 3ONE6, Merkur 34C HD and 42C 1904. I'd love to try the new Gillette Heritage released last year, but I have no information at the moment if Amazon will get it back in stock. By the way, anyone here to shed some light on the Gillette's Heritage availability?

Regarding blades, my favourite ones are: Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Nacet and Israeli Red Personna.
My understanding is that Gillette Heritage uses the same head as Muhle R89 / EJ DE89. I'm not sure about availability though.

the Rockwell 6s, Timeless Stainless and Titanium with any baseplate are three very smooth razors for me. But the absolute best I keep returning to is the EJ DE89 - smoothest with almost any blade I have tried, with exception of Voskohd (spelling?) and Rockwell. From Feather to Derby Extra no razor is as smooth on my face.

the Rockwell 6s, Timeless Stainless and Titanium with any baseplate are three very smooth razors for me. But the absolute best I keep returning to is the EJ DE89 - smoothest with almost any blade I have tried, with exception of Voskohd (spelling?) and Rockwell. From Feather to Derby Extra no razor is as smooth on my face.
Surprised to see DE89 in there. Compared to my AS-D2, I found that very aggressive causing skin tears quite easily especially with an aggressive blade like the Feather.

My understanding is that Gillette Heritage uses the same head as Muhle R89 / EJ DE89. I'm not sure about availability though.

The Gillette Heritage is close but not EXACTLY the same, better IMHO.

Read the Gillette Heritage history/write-ups/reviews in this forum for the differences.

Top Bottom