What's new

Best commercial DE razors

Hey there,

I've never been one for shaving until this christmas. My father-in-law gave me a tweezerman badger brush along with a traditional shaving lesson and now I'm nuts about the experience. The only thing I don't enjoy is the razor, which was probably why I never really got into this before. I know most of you are collectors but I just wanted to ask what would be a good DE razor to get started on?

Gillette slim adjustable - has the weight and handle length of a real DE razor with closeness adjustment to suit you - but get one soon as the price is spiraling upward!:thumbup1:

BTW, Welcome to the B&B! :badger:

The answer you seek lies above. The Tech is probably the least expensive, one of the most common and mildest of the bunch. Great razor to learn on too, very forgiving.

BTW, Welcome to the B&B!

Gillette Diplomat is the only one I use these days. Feels great in the hand and better on the face.

For mildness, a SS or Tech or, for an even better choice, get one of the Muhle or EJ DE89 models. Beats the snot out of a Merkur HD any day. And twice on Sunday. Heck, get 'em all. You DO have RAD, don't you??

Welcome! I started this a few months ago and since then have tried various Gillette's that I picked up. For Christmas I rec'd a Merkur HD, WOW what a shave with a derby blade! These are my 3 favorites in order:

1) Merkur HD
2) Gillette Tech
3) Super Speed

Just a warning, you will end up buying all 3 anyway!

Of course, YMMV, but I would start out with a Merkur HD. I started with an open comb Old Style Gillette, and suffered some blood loss. The Merkur will last forever, you can leave it to your children in your will.

Any of the Gillette adjustables would make a good candidate. Look for one of the black handled jobs as they are somewhat overlooked as compared to the slims and fatties so you will often get a good deal. The long handled black adjustable is very easy to transition to if you're used to using one of the modern multiple blade dollar munchers.

Welcome too.....

Hey there,

I've never been one for shaving until this christmas. My father-in-law gave me a tweezerman badger brush along with a traditional shaving lesson and now I'm nuts about the experience. The only thing I don't enjoy is the razor, which was probably why I never really got into this before. I know most of you are collectors but I just wanted to ask what would be a good DE razor to get started on?

For mildness, a SS or Tech or, for an even better choice, get one of the Muhle or EJ DE89 models. Beats the snot out of a Merkur HD any day. And twice on Sunday. Heck, get 'em all. You DO have RAD, don't you??

I'll second the Edwin Jagger DE89.

I suggest the Gillette Super-Speed to anyone starting out. They are great all around shavers for both beginners as well as seasoned pros. But then again, I see that you already been given this great advice.

I ended up getting a Merker HD and derby blades. After I get the technique down I'll be ordering everything else people suggested. Thank you for the suggestions.

Good job on the merkur if your shave is like mine your going to love the shave you get with that combination! Don't let the rad get the best of ya! Lol. Welcome to badger and blade!

Top Bottom