What's new

Best cart for a two pass shaver?

Little background about me: I'm a DE shaver and I started with the low quality two-bladed disposable razors that they sell at many retail/drug stores. I never tried cartridge razors, I went straight from disposables to DE. The reason being I was spending my own money and I wanted to get the best bang for my buck, and the Gillette and Schick offerings were out of my budget.

I shave infrequently, but when I do using DEs (I like aggressive razors and OCs). Shaving against the grain (ATG) doesn't agree with my skin and beard, so I shave with (WTG) then across (XTG) and do some final clean-up. For a two pass shaver who doesn't shave ATG, what might be a good cartridge razor for me to try? I will still use good quality shave soap and a brush. I want to try carts because I know they shave better than the lowest quality disposables, and I'm curious to see how it compares to DE. I also could use a cartridge as a travel razor, since I wouldn't be upset if I lost it. Maybe if I'm in a pinch and have to shave quickly, I could pull it out then too.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It might depend if you prefer a pivoting head cartridge razor or not? Many prefer fixed head cartridge razors, personally I do not. The disposable that you used did they have a pivoting head?

I can only speak based on my personal experience, and of course YMMV. The gillette fusion proglide power or proshield power should give the closest 2 pass shave. I would say close but second is Harry's razor. Third I would put the gillette sensor. FWIW a thinner/slicker lather like Cremo or Tader Joes may reduce irritation, or a thicker more cushioned lather like MWF may work better for you. Good luck.

Maybe Schlick Quattro, slightly more aggressive than Mach 3—which is also worth trying.

However if you like DE and plan to continue with it, you might want to use a single blade option. Bic is a cheap option for airplane carry-on, but is less aggressive than you’re used to.

If you’re just curious, Quattro, Mach 3, maybe Harrry’s. I’ve not tried fusion or hydro razors..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Mach 3 for the second pass of my head shave (after the 1st pass with my DE). It works great in that role to touch up things I miss with my DE. But if I travel with a carryon and only use that for face and head then it kind of fails at it gets clogged quickly. If you have patience it works OK though.

I have read great reviews of Gillette Guard razor. I have have what seamingly is like a lifetime supply of Mach 3s and haven't had a chance to try them yet. You can also check out the ilather/iamcdb YouTube channel. He uses carts for his head shave and has specific opinions which might help.

Little background about me: I'm a DE shaver and I started with the low quality two-bladed disposable razors that they sell at many retail/drug stores. I never tried cartridge razors, I went straight from disposables to DE. The reason being I was spending my own money and I wanted to get the best bang for my buck, and the Gillette and Schick offerings were out of my budget.

I shave infrequently, but when I do using DEs (I like aggressive razors and OCs). Shaving against the grain (ATG) doesn't agree with my skin and beard, so I shave with (WTG) then across (XTG) and do some final clean-up. For a two pass shaver who doesn't shave ATG, what might be a good cartridge razor for me to try? I will still use good quality shave soap and a brush. I want to try carts because I know they shave better than the lowest quality disposables, and I'm curious to see how it compares to DE. I also could use a cartridge as a travel razor, since I wouldn't be upset if I lost it. Maybe if I'm in a pinch and have to shave quickly, I could pull it out then too.

Gillette Fusion Proglide and the old Mach 3.
with fusion proglide the shaving more closer but with mach 3 less irritation.
my tip is: try both and decide which razor works better for you.
both these razors are best with my experience...

I have never used a Trac-II. Better than an injector?
I prefer an Injector over my Trac-II. I still like my Trac-II, the shave just get's done quicker with the Injector due to fewer passes, and no clogging of the blades.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom