What's new

best blade & razor pairing 👍🏼

View attachment 12620532nd use of(2nd)Shark Super Stainless blade with the Omega barberpole razor, 2 passes wtg & xtg with a little 3rd touch up anywhere i felt needed it, again a lovely 9.7/10 shave👍🏼View attachment 1262054decided to go full barbershop tonight😁, started as usual with the PAA Ice Cube(really wouldn't want to shave without it) the new Captain's bowl in copper, Omega barberpole brush in "pure" Omega barberpole razor, and the HSSC Barbershop soap, WOW what a soap provided a lather @Chard52142 would be proud of, was like white emulsion, normally if i dont give a description of the soap it means it was ok, but this soap deserves praise its fantastic, first HSSC soap in my rotation but think it's a brand I'll be trying more of, i give it my recommendation 👍🏼,finished off with the Clean Shaven balm, till next time happy shaves all🪒😉
Thanks for mentioned! A nice set-up you've got there...I like especially the copper bowl!!! Glad to hear your lather was top rate...👍👍👍

_20210507_160204.JPG
3rd use of (2nd)Shark Super Stainless blade, with the Muhle R89 Grande, usual 2 passes wtg & xtg with a 3rd touch up wherever needed, nice shave again 9.7/10,strange i know some just dont like the Shark blade,i like them very much, defo keepers for me👍🏼
_20210507_160140.JPG
pre shave...PAA Ice Cube, cream...Proraso,brush...Frank Shaving zebra striped, bowl...large Captains Choice in cobalt, finished off with some Clean Shaven post shave balm, first time using Proraso and i have to say, for not one of the most expensive brands of cream, it performed really well, just a small worm sized squeeze gave a lovely creamy lather, enough for 2 1/2 passes, i can see why so many folk enjoy the Proraso, well until next time take care all and happy shaves🪒👍🏼

_20210510_221608.JPG
4th use of (2nd)Shark Super Stainless this time with the Jag Shaving razor, being honest i never held out too much hope of having a good shave tonight considering the Jag Shaving razor gave me such a poor shave with the Astra Superior Platinum blade last time of using it, i got a really nice 9/10 shave tonight, which surprised me as i was expecting it to be poor, just shows me that it does make a difference the pairing i use, usual 2 passes wtg & xtg with my usual 3rd touch up pass, around the neck area👍🏼
_20210510_225252.JPG
pre shave...PAA Ice Cube, cream...Kent,brush...Omega boar, bowl...Suribachi by Steve Woodhead Pottery and finished off with some Clean Shaven post shave balm, the Kent shaving cream, i put a tiny small pea sized amount into the bowl and i thought i might need a little more, but used what i had first and it surprised me by whipping up a lovely creamy lather enough for 3 passes, it's only a small looking tub but it'll last forever😁, happy shaves🪒everyone until next time👍🏼

_20210512_230819.JPG
5th use of (2nd)Shark Stainless blade, with the red DLC Yaqi razor, again lovely close 9.8/10 shave,usual 2+1 pass wtg xtg and a touch up under neck area, blade still feels fine even after 5th use, but i will use a fresh blade next time, another enjoyable shave👍🏼
_20210512_230839.JPG
pre shave...PAA ice cube, soap...SoCal Hipster, brush...Simpsons 46 Berkeley in "pure", bowl...Zenith,post shave...Clean Shaven balm, the A&E SoCal Hipster great soap in performance but for me the scent is actually amazing, i find myself opening the tub just to have a sniff as i walk past my soap collection, it's the most amazing scented soap, if you like scented soap as well as performance and haven't tried this give it a try it's worth it, i know ymmv etc and what one likes may be hated by another but you may also love it like i do😉regular readers know my favourite cream is St James of London but this is as good but the scent beats it, till next time, happy shaves🪒👍🏼

_20210517_153430.JPG
1st use of 3rd Shark Super Stainless blade, this time with the King C Gillette razor, lovely smooth 9.8/10 shave, I'm really enjoying these Shark blades, usual 2 pass wtg & xtg with the 3rd little touch up, nice razor too for being one of the cheaper in my rotation, was bought as a cheap travel razor but is still part of my usual rotation, i like it😉
_20210517_153506.JPG
pre shave...Ice Cube, bowl...Captain's copper, brush...DS Cosmetic silvertip, cream...Bluebeards Revenge, nice cream can't remember if I've used it before doesnt look used so i think this may be my 1st use of it, nice creamy lather, is it up there with my favourites 🤔i would have to have another use of it to decide but its nice,finished off with the Clean Shaven post shave balm, happy shaves till next time🪒😉👍🏼

_20210520_191629.JPG
2nd use of 3rd Shark Super Stainless blade this time with the DS Destroyer razor with T7 head, once again a nice smooth 9.7/10 shave, usual 2 passes wtg & xtg with a 3rd little touch up pass on my neck(always on the right hand side of my neck, whiskers must grow in a different direction on that side) 1 tiny little nick on my usual place on chin under lip, but it had disappeared by my 3rd pass, pleased with a 9+ shave again, but by next blade I'll go for a lesser known blade, I'm not complaining about getting a good shave, but i don't want to go through the whole experiment giving 9+ marks😁, I'd rather have an occasional bad shave😂the Timeless razor will be used next shave😉
_20210520_191001.JPG
pre shave...PAA Ice Cube, bowl...my new Giles Shaving, brush...Epsilon boar, soap...Pinnacle Grooming Male(Gaultier Le Male scent seemingly)nice soap, then finished off with Clean Shaven post shave balm, so till next time, happy shaves🪒 and take care all👍🏼

_20210523_174432.JPG
3rd use of 3rd Shark Super Stainless blade with my Timeless razor with 0.95 baseplate, one word "incredible" 10/10,i have to say i normally like to feel and hear the blade on my face, then i know it's working, with the Timeless the razor just glides over my face, with the only feeling from the razor itself, 2 passes wtg & xtg, i normally need a 3rd touch up at right hand side of my neck, but not with the Timeless 2 passes and my whole face and neck was as smooth as the day i was born, best purchase I've ever made was this Timeless razor💙
_20210523_174149.JPG
pre shave...PAA Ice Cube, bowl...my Ebay one that I'm sure is a Fox Rosalita, soap...PDP no63, brush...Zenith in "best", post shave...Clean Shaven balm, PDP no63 soap(well what can i say), i purchased this after reading a few folk raving about it on B&B, so i thought i had to try it, this was my first use of it and i can see what the fuss is all about, it's probably just went to the top of my list(even above my St James of London😱) i think i may even order another couple pucks of this to make sure i have enough to last for a few years🥴, seriously though you must try this, forget the YMMV stuff, just buy it😁, well next shave is the last with the Shark Super Stainless, before moving on and choosing another blade, ive enjoyed each shave with the Shark and it will be one that is kept in my rotation, so until next time friends happy shaves🪒and take care👍🏼

_20210527_015501.JPG
4th(and last) use of the 3rd Shark Super Stainless blade with the black Stubby razor from Barbarossa brothers, i just have to say its been an incredible blade all through each and every shave, i would have to put it slightly above the last blade(the green Astra) this shave with the Stubby razor got another incredible 10/10,early days yet with a lot of blades still to go but so far the Shark is my number one, that may well change though as we go on,2 passes wtg & atg, i didnt really need 3rd pass as i was bbs after the 2nd
_20210527_005540.JPG
pre shave...PAA Cube, brush...Yaqi silvertip, bowl...the brand new Ted Baker as it was sitting on my tray from it's arrival yesterday morning, so it was simpler just to use that😁, cream...Castle Forbes Lime, post shave...Clean Shaven balm, theres about one more squeeze left in this tube of balm, the Castle Forbes Lime it's first use, and something incredible happened, whilst brushing it on my face it started to make my eyes water, I've never experienced this before with any of my soaps or creams, a wonderful cream i can see why some people say that Castle Forbes is the best, wether i would say it's my best, i don't know but it would be up there, i look forward to using it again in future though, so i have decided on my next blade but you'll just have to wait a couple of days to see😉all in all I've loved this round with the Shark🦈 and it'll be a while till i use it again, but it's been enjoyable👍🏼...till next time take care all and remember to tune in(so to speak) next shave🪒

Last edited:
_20210527_114402.JPG
1st use of (1st) Bluebeards revenge blade, with the Executive Shaving Outlaw 0.72 blade gap, strange shave this morning,ended up a 9.8/10 bbs smooth shave, but i had 5 nicks between under nose, chin and neck that i had to use styptic on, 2 passes wtg & xtg with a 3rd touch up "see below"
_20210527_115735.JPG
pre shave...PAA Cube, brush Grutti "pure", soap...Sovereign products, bowl...Steve Woodhead Pottery, balm...Clean Shaven, the Grutti brush 🤔very little to no backbone,very floppy, lost a few hairs during use, certainly wont be a regular in my rotation, the Sovereign products soap, after applying to face dried quite quickly compared to some of my top end soaps,which caused the few nicks, first use of this soap, so i defo wont write it off at this stage, but next time I'll remember it needs a good soaking before use, pleased with the end result but wasn't the most enjoyable shave, perhaps use it in a super lather next time to experiment, no problem with the blade the Bluebeards Revenge felt fine and sharp enough, will use it with a quality soap and a better brush next time, happy shaves all till next time🪒👍🏼

an updated pic of the blades being used with just a couple of tucks "shown below" still to arrive as yet👍🏼
_20210529_020717.JPG
_20210529_020626.JPG
decided to remove the bottom tuck from the list as i don't have a clue what they are,I'll just keep these to take on holidays etc, they arrived with the Barbarossa brothers razor, but i mailed them asking what blades these were, i got no reply from them(they were quick enough replying before original sale🤔)
_20210529_021733.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
_20210531_122524.JPG
2nd use of(1st)Bluebeards Revenge blade with the black DLC Yaqi razor, nice smooth 2 pass shave wtg & xtg, didn't need much of a touch up, defo a nice smooth 9.8/10 shave today, enjoyed it👍🏼
_20210531_112946.JPG
pre shave...PAA Ice Cube, soap...PAA Tombstone, brush...DS Cosmetics, Sinatra Lennon barberpole, bowl...Foxy Rosalita, Latvia via Etsy, and finished off with the last of the Clean Shaven balm, the PAA Tombstone soap, nice slick lather pleasant scent, it's good will need another use or two for me to decide if it's up there with my favourites, but after first use i like it, till next time, happy shaves all and enjoy your week🪒👍🏼

_20210602_221528.JPG
3rd use of 1st Bluebeards Revenge blade, this time with the Haward razor, a rather quick 2 pass shave tonight(I'm up early to take car for MOT) wtg & xtg, nice shave could have done with a 3rd pass under the right side of chin, but just left it at 2x still 9.5/10 though
_20210602_221125.JPG
pre shave...PAA Ice Cube, brush...Truefitt & Hill in "super", soap...Bearskin & Tunic Loch Lomond, bowl...Captains copper, post shave...Clean Shaven balm, Bearskin and Tunic, Loch Lomond, nice slick soap, scent ok but not very strong, one of these soaps where i would need another use or two to decide if it's up there with my favourites, till next time happy shaves🪒👍🏼

_20210605_160902.JPG
4th use of 1st Bluebeards Revenge blade, with the blue/chrome Yaqi razor, 2 passes wtg & xtg with a 3rd little touch up wherever i felt needed it, nice 9.8/10 once again, the Bluebeards blades are nice performing blades, i have a few tucks of those so they'll last some time👍🏼
_20210605_160940.JPG
pre shave...PAA Ice Cube(as always) soap...Goodfellas Smile grape, brush...DS Cosmetics marble effect silvertip, bowl...Suribachi by Steve Woodhead Pottery, balm...a fresh tube of Clean Shaven balm, the Goodfellas Smile grape is a lovely soap, with a great scent it's a toss up between this and my SoCal Hipster for my favourite scent, think the SoCal Hipster just shades it😉decided I'd use a little scent after today's shave, i usually only use scent if I'm going anywhere after a shave, but just fancied a change today,so...
_20210605_165923.JPG
happy shaves all until next time🪒👍🏼

_20210608_203241.JPG
5th use of 1st Bluebeards Revenge blade with the Feather ASD2 razor, blade still feeling as good as it did on first use, a lovely(what i now call) silent shave, razor just smoothly glided across face, sometimes with a silent shave i dont know if it's actually working or not, but the shave was beautiful, only needed 2 passes wtg & xtg and i had a 10/10 bbs smooth shave, i have to say the Bluebeard blade in the Feather razor is just as good as a shave with a feather blade, really pleased with tonights enjoyable shave👍🏼
_20210608_203213.JPG
pre shave...(as always) PAA Ice Cube, brush...DS Cosmetics in "pure", bowl...Zenith, soap...Dr Jon's Onward to Victory, Dr Jon's soap, another beautiful lather, up there with my favourites and a nice scent as well, 1st use but another brand that will be kept in my rotation, recommended, all in all a very pleasing enjoyable shave tonight, till next time, happy shaves all🪒👍🏼

kinda weird I thought I liked bic chrome platinum, but not split in half in the yaqi katana. I have tried gsb in the past in a fatip and didn't really care for them. I tried a GSB in the katana and might be my new favorite blade :laugh:

I'm falling more and more in love with Shark SS and the R41. Barely any blade feel even in that razor, but still sharp enough. Just a beautiful beautiful blade.

Top Bottom