What's new

"Best" Adjustable?

I like my merkur futur the best as far as adjustables go.

I have now had a chance to try several razors and the Merkur Futur, "for me", is by far the best. I have been able to compare-
Gilette-
Super Speed
Slim
Fat Boy
Red Tip
Blue Tip
Knack
several more I do not remember the names

Merkur-
Slant 39c
Open Comb HD 11c
Classic 23c
Progress
Megress

Shick-
Krona

Those are the razors I have had a chance to "try", now..., if I can get a deal on a Futur in new condition, with matte finish, I will own one:)
It is so smooth on "my face", I can get a BBS in 1 WG swipe on about 3 - 4 and 1 AG swipe on setting 1 - 1.5

IMO, this is a gotta have or at least gotta try razor.

Also very impressed with a Stahly

Well,

I want to try an adjustable and find a razor that I will shave most regularly with, and only occasionally shave with something else.

What adjustable would you recommend for me? Excluding the merkur vision, I want a retro razor.

Hi there,

I looked through the thread and man.....so many wrong answers. It's obvious to the smarter shavers that the fatboy's superior to the other Gillette adjustables. No offense to the members who got that question wrong, since they probably didn't do it on purpose. It's just that they don't know any better.

There now, I hope that clears things up for you,

Martin

Oh, no offense to those incorrect thinking members of course,

*cough* There may have been a small amount of sarcasm in that post.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I looked through the thread and man.....so many wrong answers. It's obvious to the smarter shavers that the fatboy's superior to the other Gillette adjustables. No offense to the members who got that question wrong, since they probably didn't do it on purpose. It's just that they don't know any better.

There now, I hope that clears things up for you,

Martin

Oh, no offense to those wrong thinking members of course,

*cough* There may have been a small amount of sarcasm in that post.

LOL!!!
That was the funniest thing I have read in a week, LOL!!:lol:
Thanks for the funny:)
I needed it today, :thumbup:

I have both a Fat Boy and a Slim; and the Slim is the better of the two.

I just can't get a good shave out of my FB for some reason.

I vote Fatboy. I generally don't like adjustables but once I found a few select blades and the right setting (5 or 6), I've gotten excellent shaves with the Fatty. I couldn't warm up to my Slim or get the same quality of shaves. I didn't like the weight balance or the longer handle. I sold it. Of course, YMMV as always.

Here is a "vote" from users of said blades-
link below...,

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5912&sid=9d7d65b13c3933e3283cdd0a0a7ccbdd

Which Adjustable to buy first?

Hi there,

Yeah, I saw that thread over at TSR and was amazed at the poll results. Seems like there was only one member who was experienced enough to challenge those goofy guys about their votes. I can only hope some of them saw the wrongness of their way of thinking. Very sad, actually.

Not to generalize or anything, but those members from the UK are just a step or two behind the Yanks when it comes to knowing about shaving items. Oh, certainly no offense is meant to those jolly good guys at TSR of course. They are a likeable group. I believe most members use a cartridge system of some kind along with some King Of Shaves brushless gel.

Martin

Oh, do I need to include anything about a tiny bit of sarcasm creeping in? I hope not by now.

Last edited:
I vote Fatboy. I generally don't like adjustables but once I found a few select blades and the right setting (5 or 6), I've gotten excellent shaves with the Fatty. I couldn't warm up to my Slim or get the same quality of shaves. I didn't like the weight balance or the longer handle. I sold it. Of course, YMMV as always.

Hi there,

You would make an excellent moderator.....very smart guy!

Martin

I have both a Fat Boy and a Slim; and the Slim is the better of the two.

I just can't get a good shave out of my FB for some reason.

Hi there,

I can tell you why your fatboy isn't performing right. Have shaved with maybe 30 or so fatboys over the years has given me unusual insight that I'll share with you.

I believe you have a rogue fatboy. Yep, there's some that just do not fit me right, and I bet that's your problem. No big deal though, since the solution's an easy one.

Buy five fatboys and try em all. If none of em work for you then at least you gave it a fair shot. Pretty easy.....just as I said.

Glad to help out with your confusion,

Martin

Last edited:
Just throwin' my .02 out there. So far my 50's Fatboy coupled with Israeli Red Personnas gives me a great shave every single time.

I do have a a Super Slim Adjustable that so many users rave about. But it is in absolutely flawless condition. I can't bring myself to use it just yet. I got it off the bay for close to nothing because the person who listed it couldn't spell. :thumbup1:

I have not been here long, guessing a couple of months now.
I have been blessed to be able to try a variety of razors and blades, thanks to many here and a few other forums, lots of really nice people on the wet shave forums, I don't know why, but they seem like a different, more mature bunch of folk.

I guess the "best" part is the few we have here that have "all" the experience and able to answer any question we may have, such as L.Martino. We are just darn lucky to have someone with such great experience and knowledge. For example, all this time I "thought" I have been getting a far superior shave from my Merkur Futur than from ANY razor I have been able to try, including the Fat Boy which I thought was ok, just not as good as the Gillette Slim, Merkur Progress/Mergress and Merkur Futur. The Futur has been giving me by far the best BBS shaves with the least amount of strokes and no irritation, but am sure glad that there is someone to correct me and let me know I am wrong about what I like best and able to even give me the reason why- because we are not as experienced as L.Martino.

One thing we can all strive for is to acquire the vast experience and knowledge of L.Martino and ultimately "see the light" and the "error of our ways" and finally be able to admit the Fat Boy is the best we can ever hope for.

Just had to stop and say a big thank you to L.Martino for such great insight and pointing out that everyone is incorrect about what they like best and be able to tell us what will work better for us. We are truly blessed for him to share his wealth of experience and share it with all of us that just do not know any better:ouch1::ouch1:

Hi there,

Yeah, I saw that thread over at TSR and was amazed at the poll results. Seems like there was only one member who was experienced enough to challenge those goofy guys about their votes. I can only hope some of them saw the wrongness of their way of thinking. Very sad, actually.

Not to generalize or anything, but those members from the UK are just a step or two behind the Yanks when it comes to knowing about shaving items. Oh, certainly no offense is meant to those jolly good guys at TSR of course. They are a likeable group. I believe most members use a cartridge system of some kind along with some King Of Shaves brushless gel.

Martin

Now Martin ,
as I am a member of the afore mentioned TSR and living on the other side of the pond (thats the good side of course) I must correct you on your generalisation of us. We are not "just a couple of steps behind the yanks" as you say. But having only just stopped using flint attached to a stick to scrape the stubble from our faces, we embraced the new wave of 15 blade cartridge razors that you yanks obviously like so much you repackage them as Wilkinson Sword and send them to us for a mere 2.99 groats (until you have to buy the refills !!) and of course the famous Noxemoblob Menthol Shaving Goo for 5.99 groats (an absolute steal!!) why would we ever consider buying anything such as a vintage Gillette or 10 let alone other products like brushes, creams A/S or ASB....................
But we do allow some very DODGY people on TSR............

And we do sarcasm quite well..............:001_tt2::001_tt2:........just in case you did not get it.

Steve.

Last edited:
Hiya,

I gotta apologize to the OP for derailing this thread a little bit. There seems to be some sorta attempt at bantering in a few cases, and it's only polite that I reply. Sorry in advance for the time wasted reading this post.

Wayne? That was a well written and thoughful post. Heh, it also did make me smile a few times. I would bet you'd be pretty good in a live chat situation. Nice one.

Steve? I'm glad I didn't misrepresent the members over there........I tried to be accurate, and thanks for the confirmation. As I said, you guys are a likeable but goofy bunch.

The sarcasm reference.....I don't get it. That's never been something I understand, and I always take things exactly as they're written. Same as when I write something myself.

Martin

I get great results from my Black Beauty (long handle super adjustable) on setting 3 and good results from my Parker 22R (gunmetal). I didn't get a very close shave from my recently acquired 1958 Fatboy on setting 3.

Hiya,

I gotta apologize to the OP for derailing this thread a little bit. There seems to be some sorta attempt at bantering in a few cases, and it's only polite that I reply. Sorry in advance for the time wasted reading this post.

Wayne? That was a well written and thoughful post. Heh, it also did make me smile a few times. I would bet you'd be pretty good in a live chat situation. Nice one.

Steve? I'm glad I didn't misrepresent the members over there........I tried to be accurate, and thanks for the confirmation. As I said, you guys are a likeable but goofy bunch.

Martin

It's all good!!
Anything that will bring a smile to my face (like where else would the smile be, right?)
In these times, a friendly post that makes one laugh or smile is a good thing, at least IMO:)

Take care and Happy Holidays, Martino and Everyone!!!

Top Bottom