What's new

Best adjustable safety razor, your favourite

Rocnel Sailor series for me
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The heads look very heavy and bulky and frankly the price level and the "Made in Turkey" just don't fit very well together. I haven't seen or used any of their razors but I won't pay those prices just to personally verfy that I might be wrong :wink2:.

I have used various razors over time Merkur, Muehle, historic Gilette, ATT, IKON, Tradere (1st gen.), Feather and what it comes down to :
The handle needs to provide a secure grip (e.g. Muehle is a no go)
The head must not be too bulky (Tradere, Merkur Progress or Vision are prime examples what is too bulky in my book)
Blade gap not too agressive (2011M41, ATT anything H-plate) but not too mild (e.g. Feather AS-D1)

For me the razor that fits the bill is my Mergress on "2". After a time, out of curiosity and "same old same old" I wander off and take a different razor for a couple of days but I have not found any tool that is more efficient than my Mergress (short handle, short knob) ... I also have a version with the large knob but that throws off the balance.

MERGRESS for the win. :thumbup:

The heads look very heavy and bulky and frankly the price level and the "Made in Turkey" just don't fit very well together. I haven't seen or used any of their razors but I won't pay those prices just to personally verfy that I might be wrong :wink2:.

I have used various razors over time Merkur, Muehle, historic Gilette, ATT, IKON, Tradere (1st gen.), Feather and what it comes down to :
The head must not be too bulky (Tradere, Merkur Progress or Vision are prime examples what is too bulky in my book)
Blade gap not too agressive (2011M41, ATT anything H-plate) but not too mild (e.g. Feather AS-D1)

For me the razor that fits the bill is my Mergress on "2". After a time, out of curiosity and "same old same old" I wander off and take a different razor for a couple of days but I have not found any tool that is more efficient than my Mergress (short handle, short knob) ... I also have a version with the large knob but that throws off the balance.

MERGRESS for the win. [emoji106]
How can a Progress be too bulky and Mergress not? That's quite a trick. I guess you mean you prefer the Mergress balance that the expensive knob gives you..I don't know my (vintage) Progress balances perfectly

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

My Man! You just gave me something to chase. [emoji106]1:
If you don't mind black no chasing required, there are always a few on eBay. Just make sure to get one with an original blade or two which you'll need to secure the Proline in place.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I bought a FB for full price: $1.95. O f course, that was when they first came out. I bought a Slim for the same price a year later. These two were my main razors until I joined B&B. After I joined I bought two Progress razors that I converted to Mergress razors. Subsequently, I also bought a Rockwell S - which some say is adjustable but when you have to change the plates I don't consider it adjustable.

My favorite is the Mergress followed by the FB.

My favorite Adjustable is the Fatboy. For me, it shaves identically to the Slim.
The Progress is 2 strides behind those two.
The Rockwell 6* is a collection of razors rather than an adjustable. The same would apply to any other razor you "adjust" by swapping out parts.

The Sailor is a very well made razor. Shaved with it today. It’s smooth and solid. It is aggressive, so I turn it down more than other razors.

While I disagree about the Tradere head being too bulky, I couldn't agree more that the short handled, short knob Mergress is one very very hard to beat razor. Mer did something that was truly inspired when he came up with the knob for the Progress. It's a great razor that doesn't get anywhere near the attention it deserves.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have 4 adjustables and each one have strengths.
1- Gillette slim
2- Gillette fatboy
3- Mishi 2000
4 Schick M3 injector
I like the Gillette fatboy and Schick injector M3- really any adjustable should be able to find you a Sweet spot.

Mergress is my favorite adjustable. The others I've used are the Slim, Karve brass, Rockwell stainless, Parker Variant, Rex Ambassador. At the 5 setting, the Mergress is a sublime combination of blade forwardness, smoothness and efficiency. In second? The Karve F open comb.

Top Bottom