• Mystic

• Herbs of Bulgaria Lavender

• Dalan D'Men

• Erasmic

• Ingrams

• Figaro

• Godrej Lime Fresh

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm doing research to assemble super cost-effective DE starter gift kits for about $20, and am looking for suggestions for the best shave creams for $5 or less. I want to include a shaving cream tube/tub in each kit which will perform well, easily providing lots of slick, protective, moisturizing, high performance lather with delightful fragrance. I'm shopping in the USA, so I'd very much appreciate links to the lowest cost provider (product + shipping) in/to the USA. Ideally, I'd love to get a collection of the top 10 to start with.

From my own experience: Proraso Green is a favorite, and the half size tubes sold as Bigelow are a great deal for $5. Kiss My Face performs really well with organic/natural ingredients, at a great price of $5. Figaro and Herbs of Bulgaria Lavender I've both tried from Shaveabuck and quite like. Everything else are those I've found researching favorite shaving creams for under $15 or $10 here on B&B and other discussion boards. There are a number of brands which made other lists and are popular and beloved but which I cannot find for quantities, prices, or shipping which would bring them within the $5 limit.

FYI, I've posted a similar thread in the Soaps forum to find the best soaps for $5 or less.

PLEASE VOTE, ADD TO MY LIST, COMMENT & SUGGEST: is there a certain formula that performs better? a favorite fragrance? a smaller tube at a better price? a discount supplier? I'd be delighted and surprised if there were one supplier from whom I could order most or all at once, and thus cut down shipping costs.

1. Bigelow (Proraso Green) 1.7 oz
  2. Kiss My Face
  3. Real Shaving ($4.25) (where's the best place to get this in the USA these days?)
  4. Palmolive classic
  5. Barbon
  6. Mystic
  7. Herbs of Bulgaria Lavender
  8. Dalan D'Men
  9. Erasmic
  10. Ingrams
  11. Figaro
  12. Godrej Lime Fresh
  13. SuperMax Ultimate
  14. WARS
  15. Arko Cool

PS: I would have included all these and more in the vote, but the polls max out at twelve items.

Last edited:
I guess I haven't tried very many inexpensive creams for under $5! Barbon, Palmolive Classic, Bigelow are the only three on your list that I've tried. Of those, I'd go with Bigelow (Proraso Green).

Ben

The creams that I've tried on the list cost more than $5 here, but Proraso and Real Shaving Co creams are fantastic performing creams and easy to get out here. The only other one I've tried is Kiss My Face, which is decent but not the same level of performance.

Proraso and The Real Shaving Co. creams are the ones I've tried from your list. Like them both a lot.

TRSC performs like a higher end English cream. Scent is just soapy, pretty much. I like it more than Bigelow/Proraso cream, and more than KMF. I haven't tried others on this list.

My local Rite Aid pharmacy carries TRSC stuff. At $0.74 more than you listed, pre-tax.

Last edited:
I guess Ive never used any cream UNDER $5. Pricewise.thats setting the bar a little low ,isn't it. I think that many people who utilize this site don't use creams that are that cheaply priced. But i could be wrong. I do know that I've never used any of the ones on your list.

Craig

COB is always a summer fave. I've also used the Godrej and Palmolive Lime. You might also consider Derby creams. I like the Rose of Bulgaria AS and bath gel, so I would certainly give the cream a try if you like a rose scent. I have heard good things about the cream.

You might also consider Derby creams. I like the Rose of Bulgaria AS and bath gel, so I would certainly give the cream a try if you like a rose scent. I have heard good things about the cream.
Derby came up in my research as a frequent like, but rarely receives much love, while the others at least occasionally do. I'd like to include Rose of Bulgaria, but can't find it within budget. Please share a link if you can.

REAL SHAVING COMPANY Traditional Shave Creams:
Shave2 Cream 5oz $3.50 http://shop.riteaid.com/Real-Shaving-Shave2-Cream-Moisturising/dp/B000UVNJSE#.Ua1Fc0DFXOU
Apparently this I must try.

Last edited:
Artisanal shaving cream manufacturers?

In the SOAPs thread I started on the same topic (favorite soaps for under $5), there are already three artisanal, family run soap manufacturers who produce products which fit. Are there any similar shaving cream manufacturers?

Last edited:
KMF is good, cheap, and it's the only one on your list I don't have to order online. Eight dollars for the 11 oz pump bottle at my local grocery store.

Proraso and The Real Shaving Co. creams are the ones I've tried from your list. Like them both a lot.
Re: The Real Shaving Co., I've seen it mentioned several times on B&B that they're the actual producers of some of the upmarket UK brand (3T) creams and that therefore what they're selling under The Real Shaving Co. brand would be very close siblings of those very upmarket brand creams for pennies. Who would actually know whether any of that is true? And, if so, which TRS creams and products are siblings with what upmarket brand products? If true, then TRS might represent one of the best values on the market.

Finding answers to my own question:
The Real Shaving Company creams are made by Creightons, the same company that makes creams for some of the Three T's (Taylor, Trumper, and Truefitt and Hill). Thus it is a top quality cream for a fraction of the cost.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/167849-Anyone-try-quot-the-real-shaving-co-quot-cream Apparently TRSC creams are TOBS-alikes in ingredients and performance with a very similar (many say boring) fragrance -- almost identical to/a slightly lighter version of TOBS St. James (which itself has the reputation of having a light, pleasant, yet not terribly distinctive fragrance). Noteworthy (and repeated) comment themes: TRSC creams are similar to AOS, superior to Proraso (with a handful of vehement rebuttals), and one of the best, overlooked values on the market. Several others mention they prefer Palmolive Classic stick (which is a soap...). It's very thirsty: use a little with a lot of water, otherwise you don't achieve its optimal slickness. Some find it performs best for face-lathering.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/69683-Real-Shaving-Company-Shaving-Cream
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ising-Skincare-Formula?highlight=real shaving
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ensitive-Shaving-Cream?highlight=real shaving
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...with-Real-Shaving-Co-Moisturizing-Shave-Cream
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/166668-Edge-Shaving-Gel-vs-Real-Shaving-co-Cream
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/114263-The-Real-Shaving-Company-shaving-cream-Wow

Last edited:
I'd like to nominate Speick Shaving cream, which can be had for $4.20 on Amazon.

I think the cheapest online source for KMF is iHerb.
There are many coupon codes around which give you a $5 discount on your first purchase, so you have free shipping.

Bigelow followed by RS (scent isn't as nice) Palmolive classic and Ingram (not as readily available)

The Real Shaving Co. Which TRS creams and products are siblings with what upmarket brand products?

From what I can gather these are the ones using the current Creightons base (reformulation from 2009/10 onwards?). Feel free to chime in and correct anything. There's probably a few more you can add too, like Cyril R Salter, Penhaligons etc.

Creightons base: Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide.

Perfumed: (No extra active ingredients, additives will vary depending on perfumers scent and colouring)
Geo. F. Trumper (most)
Truefitt and Hill (most)
Dr Harris (most)
TOBS (most)

Essential oils without Parfum: (minimal additives)
T&H Ultimate Comfort. (Lavender essential oil)
Castle Forbes Lime/Lavender/Sandalwood and Cedarwood. (Essential oils)

Active ingredients without Parfum: (minimal additives)
TOBS Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin (Aloe Vera, Allantoin)
Simpsons Luxury (Rosebay Willowherb extract, Boswellia/frankincense gum, Aloe Vera)

Active ingredients (2) with Parfum: (minimal additives)
TOBS Jermyn Street. (Cocoa seed butter, Chamomile)
Real Shaving Co. Moisturising. (Tea Tree oil, Cocoa seed butter)
Real Shaving Co. Sensitive (Tea Tree oil, Allantoin)
Real Shaving Co. Traditional Shave cream, Step 2. (Cocoa seed butter, Willow Bark extract)
Natural Grooming Co. Sensitive (Chamomile, Aloe Vera)
Groomed moisture zone. (??)

Active ingredients (4+) with Parfum: (additives vary depending on scent/active ingredients)
Bluebeards Revenge/dreadnought (Aloe Vera, Lauryl Isoquinolinium Bromide, Pseudoalteromonas Ferment Extract, Allantoin)
BodyShop Macca Root (Aloe Vera, Brazil nut oil, Sesame seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate/vitamin E, Macca root oil)
Truefitt and Hill No.10 (Olive oil, Almond oil, Borago seed oil, Meadowfoam seed oil, Willow Bark extract)
St James Cedarwood and clarysage (Olive oil, Almond oil, Tea Tree oil, Meadowfoam seed oil, Cranberry oil)

Last edited:
I'd like to nominate Speick Shaving cream, which can be had for $4.20 on Amazon.
I've been unable to find Speick Shaving Cream for less than $6/tube. If you could provide links to that price, and discount codes, that'd be helpful. I like Speick, especially the fragrance.

Top Bottom