• Mystic

• Herbs of Bulgaria Lavender

• Dalan D'Men

• Erasmic

• Ingrams

• Figaro

• Godrej Lime Fresh

Results are only viewable after voting.
From what I can gather these are the ones using the current Creightons base (reformulation from 2009/10 onwards?). Feel free to chime in and correct anything. There's probably a few more you can add too, like Cyril R Salter, Penhaligons etc.
Creightons base: Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide....
Wow! Thanks, CreamGravy, for this abundant backgrounder. Very informative. And you still prefer the COBigelows to the Real Shaving Traditional? Is that primarily due to fragrance, or is there a significant performance difference?

And, I'm curious: how do you come by this information?

While I use Real Shaving on it's own as well, I normally use it for a superlather with hard soaps, and just a 1/2 snurdle makes huge slick and cushiony lather

Bigelow followed by RS (scent isn't as nice) Palmolive classic and Ingram (not as readily available)

From what I can gather these are the ones using the current Creightons base (reformulation from 2009/10 onwards?). Feel free to chime in and correct anything. There's probably a few more you can add too, like Cyril R Salter, Penhaligons etc.

Creightons base: Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide.

Perfumed: (No extra active ingredients, additives will vary depending on perfumers scent and colouring)
Geo. F. Trumper (most)
Truefitt and Hill (most)
Dr Harris (most)
TOBS (most)

Essential oils without Parfum: (minimal additives)
T&H Ultimate Comfort. (Lavender essential oil)
Castle Forbes Lime/Lavender/Sandalwood and Cedarwood. (Essential oils)

Active ingredients without Parfum: (minimal additives)
Simpsons Luxury (Rosebay Willowherb extract, Boswellia/frankincense gum, Aloe Vera)

Active ingredients (2) with Parfum: (minimal additives)
TOBS Jermyn Street. (Cocoa seed butter, Chamomile)
Real Shaving Co. Moisturising. (Tea Tree oil, Cocoa seed butter)
Real Shaving Co. Sensitive (Tea Tree oil, Allantoin)
Real Shaving Co. Traditional Shave cream, Step 2. (Cocoa seed butter, Willow Bark extract)
Natural Grooming Co. Sensitive (Chamomile, Aloe Vera)
Groomed moisture zone. (??)

Active ingredients (4+) with Parfum: (additives vary depending on scent/active ingredients)
Bluebeards Revenge/dreadnought (Aloe Vera, Lauryl Isoquinolinium Bromide, Pseudoalteromonas Ferment Extract, Allantoin)
BodyShop Macca Root (Aloe Vera, Brazil nut oil, Sesame seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate/vitamin E, Macca root oil)
Truefitt and Hill No.10 (Olive oil, Almond oil, Borago seed oil, Meadowfoam seed oil, Willow Bark extract)
St James Cedarwood and clarysage (Olive oil, Almond oil, Tea Tree oil, Meadowfoam seed oil, Cranberry oil)

First time I hear that Castle Forbes is made by Creightons.

From an old thread but anyways:
I spoke to Andrew French (head of Castle Forbes) a few years ago. He didn't tell me who makes the cream, but he did confirm for me it is not Creightons.

Last edited:
It was reformulated about the same time and has the same ingredients. I just assumed Creightons had taken over manufacture/supplies the base.

Although it probably doesn't matter if the main oils and scent come from castle Forbes.

It was reformulated about the same time and has the same ingredients. I just assumed Creightons had taken over manufacture/supplies the base.

Although it probably doesn't matter if the main oils and scent come from castle Forbes.

Just spoke to Castle Forbes on the phone, they said they make the cream themselves and it is definitely not Creightons.

From your list I've used Bigelow and Ingram. I prefer Ingram over Bigelow. My favorite is Palmolive Menthol (not in the list).

Just spoke to Castle Forbes on the phone, they said they make the cream themselves and it is definitely not Creightons.
Wooo, Prof Moriarty, putting those arch criminal mastermind skills to good use! How, I wonder, did you meet or have word from leaders of the shaving products elite of the UK?

Last edited:
Wooo, Prof Moriarty, putting those arch criminal mastermind skills to good use! How, I wonder, did you meet or have word from leaders of the shaving products elite of the UK?

Scour the web for five minutes you find the number, call said number and you very quickly get an answer. No criminal mastermind skills needed :lol:

I've been unable to find Speick Shaving Cream for less than $6/tube. If you could provide links to that price, and discount codes, that'd be helpful. I like Speick, especially the fragrance.

Hmmm, it's $5.85 now. Amazon prices fluctuate day-to-day. If you order a few tubes, it may be worthwhile to order from German Amazon:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listi...6&seller=&shipPromoFilter=0&sort=price&sr=8-1

One coupon for iHerb is EVO646. This gives a $5 discount on your first purchase ($10 if you order above $40).

That also have cheap alum sticks ($2.78):
http://www.iherb.com/Lafe-s-Natural-Body-Care-Deodorant-Stick-2-25-oz-63-g/15790

They're bound to say that :D
What's most probable is Creightons supply the cosmetic base to Castle Forbes, who add their local oils/perfumes and package it in Scotland. Most of the others, like RS and TOBS, will come straight out of Creightons factory as finished products.
Major props to CF if they manufacture the whole process! That's not going to be cheap.

And you still prefer the COBigelows to the Real Shaving Traditional? Is that primarily due to fragrance, or is there a significant performance difference?

Yep, mainly fragrance. Performance is top notch will all of those creams.

Scour the web for five minutes you find the number, call said number and you very quickly get an answer. No criminal mastermind skills needed :lol:
A momentary lapse, Professor? I believe the superior response would have been: Elementary, my dear BarbaGnosa. Simply scour the web for five minutes....

Last edited:
A momentary lapse, Professor? I believe the superior response would have been: Elementary, my dear BarbaGnosa. Simply scour the web for five minutes....
No, no lapse, just didn't feel like tooting my own horn :lol: I just talked to another person who is friends with Andrew French. Castle Forbes do not use a Creighton base, and it is their own formula. Hope this helps everyone.

They're bound to say that :D
What's most probable is Creightons supply the cosmetic base to Castle Forbes, who add their local oils/perfumes and package it in Scotland. Most of the others, like RS and TOBS, will come straight out of Creightons factory as finished products.
Major props to CF if they manufacture the whole process! That's not going to be cheap.

Just talked to a major brush manufacturer who is also friends with Andrew French (head of Castle Forbes perfumery). It is their own formula being used, definitely 100% not a Creighton base. Please amend your original post.

Last edited:
.. http://www.desistores.net has a great selection of creams,including Palmolive,Old Spice,Mandom,Yardley ,Dettol ,Axe,Gatsby and much more.If you order half a dozen or more the cost WITH shipping comes out to about $5 per tube.Hint: if you enter "shaving creams" into the desi search,Palmolive will not show up,search for it by name...Desi is reliable.

Attachments

• $des.jpg
    $des.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 88
  • $desi.jpg
    $desi.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 88
  • $desis.jpg
    $desis.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 88
  • $desistores.jpg
    $desistores.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 88
  • $desist.jpg
    $desist.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 88
I've only tried one thing on the list, and I wouldn't call it a favorite, so I'm not voting. But I am taking note of which is really popular for any future decisions. So thanks everyone that is taking the time to vote.

I would include Nivea and Florena in the list as well, and Balea. From those three, I would probably choose Nivea, but the best price/performance ratio goes to Balea Sensitive.

Wow, the best price I've found for Palmolive Classic Stick ($1.10) and Cream ($2.60) FREE SHIPPING to the the USA is http://www.lifeandlooks.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=palmolive

When I see deals like that from unknown sites, I wonder if they are legit. But if this is legit, WOW, indeed. I may have to order a Palmolive stick to see what all the fuss is about.

With that said, have you considered breaking up creams the way you might do with a quality soap? You can get very inexpensive smaller containers apportion a higher end cream to each container. Then you could choose from almost any cream out there. While the sample you'd give may not last 4 months. Combined with the soap it surely would, I think. And you could include just a bit of sheer luxury in your sensible kit.

Anyway, just a thought. Either way, I think you are doing a really nice, and interesting thing. The receivers should be very pleased.

Top Bottom