What's new

Belt Storage and wear questions

Gents,

A couple of questions regarding belts:
1) How does everyone store their belts when not using them? I've seen them rolled up, I've seen them hanging straight. Is there anything I've missed and a generally acceptable practice for this?

2) Which way does a belt normally get wrapped around a waist? Clockwise or counterclockwise? (looking down). I've been going clockwise and then purchased a belt that seems to be the opposite. The belt is from england (if that makes a difference).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

- Just J

1 With regards to storage I usually rool them up - that said I don't know what the general practice is. I think this was how it was done in the army = the correct way ;-)
2 The "correct" way is anti-clockwise as viewed from above, just like a male shirt and jacket always buttons right

Got 2 hook racks at walleyworld, matches ventage tie rack.- braces on left, tie rack center, belts hung by buckle on right.
Buckle on your left as per U.S. Navy. Shoes laced left over right.

1) For really casual pants I just store the belt on the pants... I have enough belts to go around so this doesn't create problems. For nicer pants (and belts) I hang them with the ties if I won't be using it for a while, otherwise it gets coiled on/near the dresser.

2) the buckle goes in your left hand.

Canvas belts I'll roll up and they go in the sock drawer. Leather belts are hung by the buckle when I'm not wearing them. I think the other posters have pretty much covered which direction a belt is worn.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't think there is any great magic to belt storage, so long as it's not mistreated. So, keep it away from extremes of heat & moisture, make sure it isn't being bent in a funky way to cause a crease ... hang it, roll it, as you wish.

As for direction, I think it's mostly this way ...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

That said, IMHO it's just a matter of personal preference, probably based on whether you are right handed or left handed. I've always done my belts the "other" way, and occasionally find belts that would be "upside down" if done that way (due to logos on the belt or buckle).

I bought a belt hanger from Allen Edmonds. It is bell shaped & hangs with your shirts & slacks. It holds 8 belts. I currently store my suspenders on it as well.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I knew there'd be a topic on belt storage if I dug deep enough ;)

I decided to try this rather inelegant solution using a tie rack this evening, but it looks bad, and is liable to permanently kink the end of the belts.

IMG_20210729_021155_edit_edit.jpg

Please excuse picture quality struggling with both focua and tint at the moment.

So, for the time being, I've gone back to rolling the belts up and sticking them in a drawer with other accessories.

IMG_20210729_022452_edit.jpg

However my newest leather belt isn't in there, as I don't care to roll it that tightly, and the drawer is already a little full. Plus I'm keeping an eye out for other leather belts further down the line. My black one is looking particularly battered after a decade or more of use, and I may add a woven leather belt or two. Therefore more storage is going to be needed.

I've seen the straight (horizontal) hangers with seven or eight hooks on. I might give one of them a go, at least for the leather belts. Fabric, woven, and canvas belts, I don't mind keeping a drawer for the time being.

I hang mine (as long as the buckle allows it). Counter-clockwise. I think storage has less to do with their longevity than the belt type itself. As I replace belts, I've been getting the "click" style as they seem to hold up better.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I knew there'd be a topic on belt storage if I dug deep enough ;)

Zombie thread!!

this rather inelegant solution using a tie rack this evening, but it looks bad, and is liable to permanently kink the end of the belts

Yeah ... doesn't look good or healthy for the belts.

my newest leather belt isn't in there, as I don't care to roll it that tightly

I roll some belts, and others I just hang. Dress belts tend to hang on the hanger of the suit I'll be wearing them with most likely. Others I hang all together on one of these ...

1627594807350.png

... and just screw it into the nearest stud.

I use a row of medium sized finishing nails hammered into the 1"x4" that supports a shelf above the clothes rod. Not the most elegant approach and your closet may or may not have room for a similar approach. Attached a crude drawing as it is easier to show that describe.
(Credit for the original picture goes to Kaysi over at KeepingItSimple).
belt holder under closet shelf.jpg

Top Bottom