What's new

Beginning to end - my DE journey and search for a RFL

Happy New Year and I hope all who read my ramblings had a good Christmas and generally festive season.

I thought I had posted a bit more recently than I had but the lead up to Christmas was hectic.

I won't do a blow by blow recount, generally it has been a standard prep of hot shower, splash of water to the face and face lathering using one of three soaps predominantly, Tabac new formula, Haslinger Schafmilch or Arko!.

Up until about the 22nd of December I was using the Omega boar travel brush. It was a great little brush, although it did struggle to hold a lot of lather and water for face lathering. But given its size this is to be expected.

I stopped using it as my oldest son flew out for the USA on boxing day to play and watch basketball and as he was traveling I gave up the travel brush for his use on the trip. He has also been using Proraso Green shaving soap out of a tub and in the interests of travel (and surreptitious conversion) I also sent him off with a stick of Arko!.

I had been using the Gillette Slim Adjustable in December and did continue to use it up to the New Year. I had settled on level 5 on the razor in the sharp smooth blades and stuck with this in the sharp sharp testing. Most of the blades gave a reasonable shave with two standouts:
  1. Kai - This had previously given me a nice smooth shave, in the Gillette Slim it was horrible from the first run. I tried both sides and different parts of the face but it was rough and not nice at all. I know the Kai is a bit wider than other blades, not sure if this was the difference but it did not last long. Definitely won't be trying to run Kai's in this razor again.
  2. Feather - This blade gets a lot of hype and I have to say I hadn't seen it, it was good in my initial testing but not great and I felt it dropped off quickly.
    On Christmas day I pulled out a Feather to use with the Gillette on setting 5 and thought how bad could the damage be, sharp blade aggressive setting (for me). I used Arko! and as I had lost my travel boar I was back on the lovely Semogue Mistura. The shave was the smoothest and nicest shave I think I have ever had. I focused on low pressure and the Feather cut smoothly and cleanly through a couple of days growth. After the first pass my face felt like it normally does after one pass of one day's growth. Standard two passes and my face was as good as baby bottom smooth. Boxing day before sending my son off on his travels I kept the same Feather in the razor and used the Haslinger soap and again the shave with the Feather was smooth and left my face silky. No nicks or cuts or weepers on either day, only two great shaves. I can now see where some of the hype may come from. I thought I may have saved myself from having to purchase more of these costly blades, perhaps not.​
The BIC Chrome saw out the rest of the year with intermittent shaving, giving three acceptable shaves.

New Year
January has brought out the Gillette Tech (Mexican) with new years day bringing out the Rockwell blade in the smooth smooth blade category. An acceptable but slightly rough shave. You can really feel the lack of sharpness.

This morning being 2 January was the Royal Stallion blade. I initially liked this blade but it did not perform well in the Slim Adjustable so I approached this shave with some treppidation. A bit like our weather here in Melbourne (four seasons in one day) the blade started a little bit rough before smoothing out by the end of the first run. Same with the second side of the blade, initial rough feeling then smooth. Then by the end of the second pass beginning to get a little rough again.

Both shaves gave acceptable result, no nicks cuts or weepers on either day. Results were just a damn fine shave.

Happy shaving all.

Thanks Thom, and to you.

My son and his team have been wandering around Texas so far and I think he has been enjoying it. It is just like the movies apparently.

They are in the United States for another 9 or so days and doing a bit more touring from here on so hopefully he will get to see more of the country. And enjoy more of the Arko!...

May you also have a great 2024. 🍻

He is very sensible and not as fanatical about shaving as his father so Arko! will be a long way from his thoughts.

It has been getting down to -5 degrees Celsius (23F) so I am not sure he was ready for that kind of chilly 🥶 .

As with many kids his age and especially basketball players, it is largely about the shoes, only offset by the amount of luggage space and weight capacity for the flight home.

On food, I am told that Raising Cane's deserves the good reviews it gets online. I have not read them or eaten there so I can't comment.

He is in the United States for 14 days so should be able to see most of it by then ... no?

I forgot to mention I was very lucky at Christmas receiving a Proraso kit and a vintage shaving/personal care kit.

IMG_0190.jpg

I have started using the post shave cream and it is a nice way to finish a shave. A little also seems to go a long way. I have not used the pre-shave, I assume this is rubbed on face before soap is applied? I also assume the cream is largely the same as the green tub just a touch runnier? I currently use Proraso green in the tub on occasion so will keep the tube for travelling.

IMG_0187.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg

Other than the toothbrush in the long cylinder, I am tempted to try to use this kit. The razor is a Souplex and looks to be in mint condition. The brush feels like what I would imagine horse hair would feel like and similarly appears to have never been used. The wording in the little crown on the brush handle says 'vulcanised' which I assume refers to the rubber that is holding the brush in the handle.

I think from reading the Souplex thread that this likely from the 1930's or thereabouts. Brief rubbing of the brush has already seen a few hairs fall out. While this may be expected from an unused brush, any tips on stabilising what could be very old rubber holding in the hair, so that the brush can be used, would be greatly appreciated.

Happy shaving.

Gillette Tech day 3

Today was the third day of the Gillette Tech, standard prep, hot shower splash of water and Arko! rubbed on face and lathered with the Semogue Mistura. A voluminous lather was produced and hydrated with two tip dips per side, thinning the lather and making a nice slick shaving surface.

Shave was a two pass affair. With the grain all over on first pass and then ear to nose line down face and against the grain on the neck up to jawline on the second pass.

Blade for today is still in the smooth smooth category and was the Astra SP. This for me has been a solid performer, not outstanding but smooth and comfortable. Today in the little Tech it was no different. A nice smooth shave. The shave didn't feel as sharp and effortless as the Feather in the slim adjustable, but that could be blade or the razor.

Final result was a damn fine leaning toward baby bottom smooth. No nicks cuts or weepers. A generally nice and pleasant shave.

Proraso after shave lotion (green) was applied to finish up.

Happy shaving all.

Day 4 Gillette Tech

Standard prep same as yesterday, only change was to the soap which was Haslinger Schafmilch. I nice lather although I think I was a touch under hydrated on the first pass.

Blade was the Astra SP for the second day in a row. Blade held up well and was a smooth shave.

Final result was a damn fine shave plus. A little bit of Proraso after shave lotion to finish made for a good shave.

Happy shaving all.

Day 5 Gillette Tech

Today was standard prep and Tabac new formula for the soap. Brush was Semogue Mistura and the blade was the Big Ben Stainless Steel. Two passes, with the grain all over for the first pass and then ear to nose down to jaw line and then against the grain on neck and under jaw.

From the get go this was a smooth shave. Blade was good, not as clean slicing as the sharper blades but still more than adequately smooth. Both passes went by without incident.

Still trying to maintain low pressure on the shave, this is a bit harder with the very light Tech as it doesn't feel like it has sufficient weight. I also nearly fell into the blade noise trap, where you keep chasing the do-over until you can't feel or hear anything on the razor. I am not sure about others but with a hot water prep and shave, immediately post shave I can usually still feel a very very slight amount of stubble, where the shave feels good but not baby bottom smooth. It takes a little while for my face to cool and the stubble feel dissipates to leave a closer shave. What it feels like immediately post shave is generally a little worse than how it will feel 5-10 minutes later once my face has cooled and settled.

This morning there were a couple of places (top lip and chin) where I could hear a bit of blade noise and kept going over the area, the irritation thankfully reminded me to stop before I dug too deep. Both places still feel very smooth now (several hours post shave).

Happy shaving all.

I am not sure about others but with a hot water prep and shave, immediately post shave I can usually still feel a very very slight amount of stubble, where the shave feels good but not baby bottom smooth. It takes a little while for my face to cool and the stubble feel dissipates to leave a closer shave. What it feels like immediately post shave is generally a little worse than how it will feel 5-10 minutes later once my face has cooled and settled.
I find that the application of aftershave, or a balm can turn a shave into BBS! I have been thinking it was the moisturizing properties of the balms.

What it feels like immediately post shave is generally a little worse than how it will feel 5-10 minutes later once my face has cooled and settled.

I find that the application of aftershave, or a balm can turn a shave into BBS! I have been thinking it was the moisturizing properties of the balms.
Yes! I learned from Jim that if you give the follicles some resting time, you will find that you are smoother than directly post shave. I usually apply aftershave and balm after having breakfast first.

The trick is to use this process, because overshaving is lurking in the shadows if you are going by the results directly post shave.

Enjoy!

Guido

IMG_0187.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg

Other than the toothbrush in the long cylinder, I am tempted to try to use this kit. The razor is a Souplex and looks to be in mint condition. The brush feels like what I would imagine horse hair would feel like and similarly appears to have never been used. The wording in the little crown on the brush handle says 'vulcanised' which I assume refers to the rubber that is holding the brush in the handle.

I think from reading the Souplex thread that this likely from the 1930's or thereabouts. Brief rubbing of the brush has already seen a few hairs fall out. While this may be expected from an unused brush, any tips on stabilising what could be very old rubber holding in the hair, so that the brush can be used, would be greatly appreciated.
This is shocking stuff! Oddly I just noticed this.

You must immediately use the Souplex. It's uncanny properties will merge with your innate vital and manly fluids, to produce the most remarkable shaves you have experienced thus far.

Seriously, it is an incredibly good razor.

Obviously the next steps are to immediately join the esteemed Souplex Owners Club

Souplex Owners Club - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/souplex-owners-club.636564/

Any posts are most welcomed!

Gillette Tech Day 6

I had a rare evening shave last night, brought on by not shaving for the day before it leaving me with two and a half days growth that I could no longer put up with.

Shave was Gillette Tech with the final day for the smooth smooth Big Ben Stainless Steel blade. Arko! was the soap of choice and I brought out the Omega professional boar brush for the longer whiskers.

Lather was nice brush was lovely and the shave started well with a smooth easy cutting through the built up stubble. Given it was an evening shave I had a bit more time and decided to go for a three pass. I also thought I would not have much stubble this morning if I shaved last night so should go for BBS to get me through today.

Three passes were with the grain (North to South), across the grain ear to nose all over and then finally against the grain (South to North) all over.

As noted going with the grain the blade was initially smooth and clean, as the first pass progressed, the cutting got a bit rougher with the final run over the chin getting quite rough. Switching sides of the razor for the second half of the pass had the same result, initial run down from side burn smooth as silk then slowly rougher as the pass progressed.

Second and third pass were not too bad and final result was a baby bottom smooth shave. Alum feedback was not terrible but was definitely indicating it was a three pass shave.

No nicks, cuts or weepers and overall still a good experience.

This morning while showering, my face still felt baby bottom smooth, very slick and not a whisker to be felt.

I did not do the usual hot splash of water in the face but on cooling down post shower there was a little stubble feel, not terrible but not as clean shaven as usual.

Now, being late afternoon, the stubble feel is definitely worse than usual, although probably still easily socially acceptable.

Happy shaving all.

You must immediately use the Souplex.
Thanks @Alum Ladd when I saw the make of the razor I searched on here and found your club. I had no idea you had devoted your life to the Souplex as much as you had until reading that thread I thought you were a vintage Gillette man through and through.

I can see that its hold on you is complete if you are directing me away from the Gillette Tech in favour of the Souplex.

I am not suggesting you have fallen under its spell or been tangled in a new cult like devotion to the Souplex. However, before I expose myself to its almost supernatural powers, can you do a little experiment for me?
  1. Get a writing pad and pen (or pencil);
  2. Grab a new unopened stick of Arko!;
  3. Find somewhere safe to sit where you can't see any of your razors (especially the Souplex);
  4. On the pad write 'My favourite razor is the " but don't complete this yet;
  5. Place the pen (or pencil) and pad next to you where you can see them;
  6. Now unwrap the Arko! stick, immediately place it under your nose and inhale deeply;
  7. When you regain consciousness read the pad and without further thought answer the question.
If after this little reset your answer is still Souplex then I will give it a go. If your answer is anything other than Souplex then I suggest you wrap your Souplex in a thick plastic bag with a protective stick of Arko! and dispose of it appropriately, it clearly has some unearthly powers to beguile the user. ;)

Cheers.

Day 7 Gillette Tech

Today was the beginning of the second week of Gillette Tech and so the first smooth sharp blade which for today was a Wizamet Iridium. Soap was Tabac new formula and brush was the Omega Boar professional. Since Octoboar, when I used the Omega brush exclusively, it has been a very nice soft brush with far less scritch but still a good backbone, the density and feel of the Semogue Mistura still pips it for best brush in my collection but the Omega Boar is a lovely brush to use.

Back to standard shave time and prep with hot shower, splash of water and face lathering giving a lovely slick lather. The Wizamet blade was smooth cutting and comfortable throughout the shave. Not the best blade I have ever used but far from the worst and provided a clean and pleasant shave.

Two passes as standard, with the grain, North to South, for the first pass and then across the grain on the face from ear to nose down to jawline and then against the grain, South to North, on neck and under jaw for the second pass.

No nicks cuts or weepers and a damn fine shave.

Happy shaving all.

Day 8 Gillette Tech

Standard shave today, two passes, Omega boar 106 brush, Haslinger Schafmilch soap and second day of the Wizamet Iridium blade.

One small change, I pushed the hydration of the lather to three tip dips per side. Not sure what prompted this, possibly a combination of the boar not picking up quite as much water as the Semogue Mistura and also a desire to push the hydration a bit further. My lathers have been fine but I think I am on the dry end of the good lather spectrum rather than the wet end. Consequently the lather was a bit wetter, very slick but the first pass was a bit too lathery, not as far as a Father Christmas beard, but more lather on the razor than usual. The second pass lather was thinner but equally slick.

Wizamet blade performed okay, a few places felt like it was struggling to cleanly slice through the thicket but not uncomfortably so. I won't be using it for a third shave, it may have made it but I also have a couple of other smooth sharp blades to try this week.

Final result was a solid damn fine shave with no nicks, cuts or weepers.

Happy shaving all.

Top Bottom