What's new

Beginning to end - my DE journey and search for a RFL

Today was Day 2 Wizamet Iridium - Rockwell 6C plate 3

For today's shave I went with the Tabac shave stick. This was lathered with the Razorock Big Bruce on face with other preparation as standard, hot shower, splash of water to face.

I really like the Tabac original shaving stick, the lather is a very creamy and slick lather. The stick is very large compared to the Arko!. When rubbing on the face it does feel a little too big at times, like rubbing a tree branch or full soap puck on your face. The soap also seems much softer than the new formula soap puck, not sure if this is because it is in stick form or if the original blend was softer.

The blade felt nice and smooth again, not pulling or tugging and minimal blade noise. For the first pass I was possibly pushing a bit too hard, no damage done but pulled myself up and tried to focus on lighter pressure for the rest of the shave. Not sure how successful I was but the thought was there. I am also trying to shave shallow, riding closer to the cap. I think early in my DE shaving I was shaving quite steep. This does often make me wonder if I am shaving at all as I find the blade noise and feel is lower when shallow and the risk of riding the cap and not the blade is also higher.

Final result was a damn fine shave so I must have been close enough to the blade for long enough to get the whiskers away. No nicks cuts or weepers so all in all a good two days. Given the expedited testing only over two days this round, I won't be able to test the longevity of the blade this time but it is certainly good for two days.

Happy shaving all.

Day 1 Mercur

Today was the Rockwell 6C on plate 3 with the Mercur blade. This blade was high on my performance list and was one of the first few blades I tested.

Shave was standard prep, hot shower splash of water. Arko! was the soap of choice, face lathered with the Razorock Big Bruce synthetic brush. Lovely lather and great slickness.

Today was standard two passes, although I did feel a bit rough around the jaw and lower face on wash up and did a tidy up third against the grain (South to North) pass on jawline and slightly up face. There was no reapplication of lather, just wetting and use of residual slickness which was more than adequate to keep the blade gliding on my face.

The Mercur blade felt a bit blunt on the first half of the face, but then a bit sharper for the rest (my guess is technique). The blade was smooth but felt on the edge of tugging for most of the shave, it didn't but also did not have an ultra-sharp feel. It was an acceptable experience.

As noted above final wash up felt a bit rough soa third tidy up was done. Final result was a damn fine shave, no nicks, cuts or weepers.

I think this is an acceptable blade but nothing exceptional. May give it a run on a higher setting in the Rockwell tomorrow or move on to another blade.

Happy shaving all.

So two shaves to catch up on.

Yesterday I tried a blade I had not had much luck with, the Tiger Platinum.

Prep was standard and Arko! was the soap, Razor was the Rockwell on plate 3.

Standard two passes started nice and smooth but not overly sharp feeling. Final wash up was a damn fine shave. I may have to rethink this blade but given I only had one blade left, it was not a good enough shave to encourage me to purchase more.

This also brought an end to the month of synthetic witht he Razo Rock Big Bruce. Overall I have a greater appreciation and feel for the brush and if it was the only brush I had would be fine with using it on a regular basis. It was still leaking a bit and flung a bit of water and lather around seemingly at random but the face feel and size of the brush makes for easy lathering. A nice brush and will stay in my collection for the odd occasional shave.

Today's shave:

Gillette Slim Adjustable on setting 2 with a brand new BIC Chrome Platinum blade. I am assuming that the mild to aggressive goes from 1 up, with 1 being mild?

Standard prep and brought out the Haslinger Schafmilch for today. Free of the synthetic brush testing, I was tempted to reach straight back for Mistura which being half boar may classify for Decemboar. But having used the very large Big Bruce, I thought I would lather with an Omega travel boar brush that I purchased a while ago and have only used a couple of times. Time to wear it in.

I was a bit concerned that the tiny knot would not be able to hold much lather but it held and produced a good amount, not flinging any around like the Big Bruce. Some did build up and fall off the smaller knot but not much. Overall a great lather across both standard passes.

The razor on the first pass did an okay job, did not feel much blade but I had a couple of small weepers from beheaded lumps. Nearing the end of the first half of the second pass I was doing the final stroke of South to North on the neck when I felt it bite. I backed out and thought I had gotten away with a simple epidermal sample but it then filled with red and a clear straight razor width line appeared on my neck. The rest of the second pass was uneventful thankfully.

I am sure it is technique, but I thought on setting 2 would be relatively safe even with the BIC blade. Maybe I need to drop to level 1 unless someone can tell me that 1 is actually the most aggressive and I was lucky to get away as cleanly as I did.

Final result was just a damn fine shave. Writing this in the afternoon I don't feel as clean shaven as I usually do. The flow from the cut was able to be stopped with liberal application of Proraso styptic gel.

Back to the practice room for me I think, maybe wind back the blade sharpness, perhaps a butter knife to start with.

Happy shaving all.

Gillette Slim Adjustable day 2

So with the cuts closing over from day 1 I decided to lower the sharpness for today. Also, given the not as close shave on day 1, I decided to risk severe injury and potential loss of limb by increasing the aggression to level 3.

The blade of choice was an Astra SP and the soap of choice was Cella Red, only because I hadn't used it for a while and thought why not. Brush was the Omega travel boar brush. Standard prep and standard two passes (with a slight detour around the gash in my neck).

I was trying to also focus on light pressure today as I can feel myself chasing the smoother shave at the milder aggression levels.
The first half of the first pass felt a bit like the blade was thinking about tugging but it smoothed out as the pass went on and felt nice for the second half of the first pass and second pass.

I still took the top off of a couple of lumps on the first pass and focusing even more on pressure for the second pass managed to complete the shave with all major body parts still intact.

Final result is a close damn fine shave but not as smooth as I like but certainly a SASS (socially acceptable saturday shave).

Only a couple of small leaks where small lumps used to be, otherwise no cuts or nicks.

Happy shaving all.

Gillette Slim Adjustable days 3 and 4.

Today and yesterday were essentially the same shave, both using Arko! soap, face lathered with Omega boar travel brush. Both using Astra SP blade (the same one from Saturday). Both using standard two pass shave, North to South all over, then ear to nose on face down to jawline and South to North on neck up to jaw.

Because Saturday was still only socially acceptable, I had my phone ready to dial triple zero (for the US this is 911, for the UK 999, other countries I have no idea...) and upped the aggression to level 4.

My main focus for the shaves has been light touch. Yesterday I tried to do this just through feel and a bit of a change in technique. Today I tried holding the razor closer to the end of the handle (opposite end of handle to the head of the razor) making it harder for me to apply pressure. Holding this end meant I had to let the weight of the razor do more of the work.

The shave yesterday felt okay throughout, good lather and slick shave, blade felt smooth, again not super sharp but sharp enough to not be pulling or tugging on the hair. Today I think my lather was a bit dry, the little travel boar does not pick up as much water on the tip dips as the lager brushes and I think this translates to more tip dipping needed. Lather was still okay, just a little more drag than super slick on the first pass, second pass after first pass rinse and residual water was slicker.

Final result of both shaves has been a damn fine shave. Neither shave has resulted in any further harm in the form of nicks cuts or weepers.

While the shaves were okay, I would not say the experience is wonderful. Not terrible, just not as relaxing and enjoyable as other shaves. That may be because I am out of my usual zone while having to practice new techniques or it may be that I need to change the blade to get a smoother experience.

My current testing regime (for now at least) is that I will be using one of my razors for a month, I will be shaving one week with blades from each of the sharpness categories below, so week one blades from smooth category, week two blades from smooth sharp category and so on. I am hoping this will give me some good practice with the razors and a good feel for types of blade to razor matches to explore further. Soaps and brushes may vary.

Smooth - Big Ben SS, Astra SP, Royal Stallion, Rockwell
Smooth Sharp - Gillette Wilkinson Sword (Chinese), Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, GSB
Sharp Smooth - Lab Blue, Astra SS, Gillette 7 O'Clock Green/Black, Kai
Sharp - BIC, PermaSharp, Feather

Happy shaving all.

Gillette Slim Adjustable days 5 and 6

Yesterday was a Tabac new shave, old bowl, new puck. Omega travel badger brush, standard preparation, standard two pass shave.

Blade was a Royal Stallion, and the razor stayed on setting 4.

Focus was entirely on the pressure, holding the end of the razor handle and trying to ensure I kept it at the lightest I could. The blade felt pretty average for the first half of the first pass but began to feel better in the second half and for all of the second pass. Again not as wonderful as I remember for a blade but not bad. Not feeling crazy sharp, but not quite tugging out the hairs either, more acceptable than exceptional.

Final result was a no nick, no weeper, no cut shave and a result of damn fine shave.

Today the shave was similar but was an Arko! shave, Omega boar travel brush and otherwise standard.

I think the first time I used the Royal Stallion blades the comparison was made to their name as being close to a band name, which made me think my adjustable goes all the way to 9.

So with my heavy rock anarchy, leave nothing in life that you will regret and a slightly what the heck you only live once feel I decided I would take the adjustable all the way up another notch to 5. I know this is pushing the limits, testing the extremes but in the spirit of adventure I am happy to risk my face to science, one small increment at a time.

Lather was great, three tip dips per side for the smaller brush. First pass the blade did not feel too bad. I was again focusing almost solely on keeping the pressure light.

Final result was a damn fine shave and no nicks, cuts or weepers of any kind.

I have been enjoying the little boar, great lather maker, but can't hold its lather like the bigger brushes. It won't ever replace my daily driver but once worn in it will be a great little travel brush.

I am still not fully enjoying the razor and blade combinations I have had so far this month. The shave results are getting better and the reduction in physical harm is good but the shaves are not yet as pleasant as I have had. They all have felt rougher than most other shaves. Not yet sure if this is down to the blade or the razor or the insignificant bearer.

Happy shaving all.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Dang... @lasta threw you a troll :a45: what's that about? There was even a "Spinal Tap" joke in there.

@PersistentlyBlunt I have some remaining blades from my very beginning of my journey. Some mainstream, some oddball, but none of them spoke to me. I grant you I was nowhere near as diligent in tracking their performance as you have been. But they are sitting in the bottom of "The Drawer" nonetheless. Most of these blades should be gathered up and sent into "The Great Blade Exchange".

I admire your dedication but I do wonder if you're spinning your wheels in a razor blade bunny hole. It doesn't really matter all that much to me because I will always read and enjoy your posts. But from one member to another I doubt your technique is lacking at this point, why put yourself through revisiting some random blades that don't seem to suit you? Happy shaves and YMMV.

lasta

Blade Biter
Dang... @lasta threw you a troll :a45: what's that about? There was even a "Spinal Tap" joke in there.

@PersistentlyBlunt I have some remaining blades from my very beginning of my journey. Some mainstream, some oddball, but none of them spoke to me. I grant you I was nowhere near as diligent in tracking their performance as you have been. But they are sitting in the bottom of "The Drawer" nonetheless. Most of these blades should be gathered up and sent into "The Great Blade Exchange".

I admire your dedication but I do wonder if you're spinning your wheels in a razor blade bunny hole. It doesn't really matter all that much to me because I will always read and enjoy your posts. But from one member to another I doubt your technique is lacking at this point, why put yourself through revisiting some random blades that don't seem to suit you? Happy shaves and YMMV.
Troll = Hug!

Open arms and all!

why put yourself through revisiting some random blades that don't seem to suit you?
Thank you @Chef455 I agree entirely with your sentiment and I am more ruthless with my discarding than I have been before.

Many of the blades I have revisited were at the higher end of my testing but now seem flat and not as good as I recall. Not sure if that is me, the blade or the razor. This also triggers the thought if I was wrong about the top end maybe I was also wrong about the bottom end...

The one blade I disliked the most being Derby Extra (green) I offloaded to the Great Blade Exchange and a house guest. I have none left and almost wish I had one more to try again now... actually no I don't really, life is too short as it is.

I will get more ruthless with my blade tolerance.

Day 7 Gillette Slim Adjustable

Today was standard prep, Cella Red soap and Omega travel boar brush. Shave was standard two passes and lather prep was 20 swirls each direction in tub, lather on face and at least two tip dips and application to each side of face.

Lather was nice and slick.

Blade for today was one that was in the higher tiers, the Rockwell. Razor was left on setting 5, living on the edge - safely.

From beginning to end this was a horrible experience, not the worst I have had but the blade felt like a blunt instrument. I was again focusing on light touch, holding the razor at the end of the handle and letting the razor do the work. Even with this I felt like I was dragging an agricultural plough through my whiskers.

Having said that, the final result was a no nick, no cut, no weeper damn fine shave, almost baby bottom smooth. A complete contradiction, horrible experience, great result.

I think as noted above I will be ruthless with the blade because I am sure it should not feel like that but hopefully the razor and setting can deliver a similar experience on a nicer blade.

Happy shaving all.

Better than crushing defeat, at least
Very true, the retention of all of my layers of skin is certainly a win in this scenario. However, I did wonder when writing the above if it was actually a shave or if it just pulled out the hair which is why it was so smooth. 🤷‍♂️

I am sure there is a golden combination of blade and aggression in there somewhere, the El Dorado of shaving.

I certainly hear you about being final with particle,ar blade brands. I have a bunch of Feathers which I don't really care for in that I get, at most, 4 shaves before they are tossed(ahem...recycled). I have a Robin razor coming so maybe I'll just use them for that shaver to start with.

Day 8 Gillete Slim Adjustable.

Today's shave was standard prep and standard two passes. I am still using the Omega travel boar brush. The brush is nice to use, as it wears in it is getting softer but still has a good backbone. It still has some trouble holding its lather but it holds more than enough for the two passes.

Soap for today was Haslinger Schafmilch mit Lanolin. A nice clean soap that produces a slick lather. Blade for today was the Big Ben Stainless Steel. Razor stayed on setting 5.

From the first stroke this was a far more comfortable shave than yesterday. The blade felt much smoother and the hair felt like it was being sliced rather than pulled from the skin.

Keeping a focus on the pressure is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I keep reverting back to the old ways and my fingers move slowly up the handle of the razor to increase the pressure. But staying strong I think I am getting better with the low pressure. The sharper feeling blade also made this a lot easier than yesterday.

On final wash up there were no nicks, cuts or weepers and the shave was a damn fine shave plus plus. It does not feel intuitive that lower pressure would give a closer shave. Tomorrow I move up to the next level of sharpness.

Happy shaving all.

Days 9 and 10 Gillette Slim Adjustable

These two shaves have followed the same preparation, hot shower, splash of water, soap was Haslinger Schafmiclh mit Lanolin. Brush was Omega boar travel brush and the blade for both was the Chinese Wilkinson Sword. This blade has been good to me so far in testing.

Yesterday the smooth blade was evidently sharper than the previous day, slicing effortlessly through the whiskers. On plate 5 with the sharper blade I knew that I needed to keep low pressure and be very aware of how I was shaving. Despite this, on the first half of the first pass running North-South, while shaving under my ear I felt a small nip from the blade. Feeling beind the ear lobe revealed a minor leakage. The rest of the shave passed without incident.

Final result was a damn fine shave plus. With only the one nick.

Today I was very careful to maintain low pressure, but with the aggression still on 5 and the same Wilkinson Sword from China loaded in the razor, I could feel the blade almost taunting me that the slightest slip would dig deep.

First pass with the lovely Haslinger lather was without incident. Second pass on moving from ear to nose, while passing beneath the nose i caught my nostril, not sure if it was blade or tag but a small nick all the same. The rest of the shave passed uneventfully resutling in a damn fine shave plus plus.

Happy shaving all.

Day 11 Gillette Slim Adjsutable

Today was standard prep and standard two pass shave. Soap was Tabac new formula and the blade was the Gillette Yellow Sharp edge blade with the aggression remaining on 5.

Still focusing on low pressure of the razor and while my fingers have moved slightly up the handle, this is more for control, pressure remained light throughout the shave. The Gillette blades felt not dissimilar tot hte Chinese Wilkinson Swords with perhaps a slight hint more smooth cutting from the yellow.

Other than a little bit of irritation under the nose on the top lip, the shave was smooth and efficient. I think the irritation is from the closeness of the shave.

Final result a damn fine shave plus with no nicks, cuts or weepers.

Happy shaving all.

Top Bottom