What's new

Beginner not pleased with Fatboy

It's been my one and only DE for the last couple months since I started, and while I'm happy with my learning so far, I'm not so happy with the razor. First, I find its head too big to properly shave the hair under my nose area (I always have to finish that up with a two-blade Sensor cart). Second, it is too heavy for my liking. And lastly, while in theory I thought its adjustability would be great for dialing in the perfect setting for my tough beard, in reality it is just causing too much uncertainty and second guessing regarding the settings I choose.

So I guess I'm looking for something non-adjustable that can handle a tough beard that sometimes gets to four or five days length, that is lighter overall, and with a smaller head that can get into tighter spots.

I'm also starting my uphill battle learning with a straight, which will ultimately be my everyday shaver, so the DE I'm looking for would ideally be reasonably priced as it won't be my everyday shaver for very much longer.

Any suggestions?

These are pretty affordable, and listed from most to least aggressive IMO:

DE: Senator/Sheraton (these can be a little pricier), Ranger Tech/Milord, Red-Tip Superspeed
SE: Micromatic Open Comb, Micromatic Clog Pruf, 1924-style, 1912-style (I even like the Featherweight).

A Fatboy isn't for everyone. I can take mine or leave it. But I keep them anyway. If I were you I would score a vintage Tech or a NEW. There are plenty around and can be purchased for a reasonable price. The Tech takes some flack because it is viewed as a "mild" razor but they have been around for ever and a day for a reason: they are great razors.

A Fatboy isn't for everyone. I can take mine or leave it. But I keep them anyway. If I were you I would score a vintage Tech or a NEW. There are plenty around and can be purchased for a reasonable price. The Tech takes some flack because it is viewed as a "mild" razor but they have been around for ever and a day for a reason: they are great razors.

+1

I would recommend a 3 piece razor. The Gillette NEW open comb long-tooth razor is quite good as is the Edwin Jagger Model 89 line or a Merkur 33C or 23C.

eric.

These are pretty affordable, and listed from most to least aggressive IMO:

DE: Senator/Sheraton (these can be a little pricier), Ranger Tech/Milord, Red-Tip Superspeed
SE: Micromatic Open Comb, Micromatic Clog Pruf, 1924-style, 1912-style (I even like the Featherweight).

+1 I would also add a Gillette Old Type.

I use the Merkur 1904 open comb as my go to DE, and I have the HD as my reserve or second choice, also in open comb.

The open comb has a really nice thin head, and gets under the nose really good.

Well, the good news is you can sell the Fatboy on the Bay for about $1000 and easily get what you want. :)

4 or 5 days growth, yeah, SE Gem or an AutoStrop. You'll love the things. Especially a Pre (approx) 1930 AutoStrop. An AS from that era is as close to shaving with a straight as I ever want to get.

I go side to side using just the corner of the blade to get the few hairs that are closest to the nose. Any other way and I either can't get to them, or I cut myself (going from S to N).

Last edited:
I like the fatboy and have pif'ed my tech and a SS. For me it will soon be my only razor. Most days it stays on 5 but I have turned it down to 1 before. There are way to many razors out there for you to be using one that you don't like or that does not give you a good shave! I have a few razors that I am thinking of getting rid of pm me if your interested.

Top Bottom