What's new

Beginner not pleased with Fatboy

from looking at the fat boy in the pics, I think I would stay with the new in short combs first before going to a long tooth comb. I find the long tooth has a different angle for shaving while the short will be similar to the fat boy in angle.

Sell the Fatboy and with the proceeds buy 2 or 3 razors.

EJ89 is almost universally recommended.
Merkur Slant
Gillette New

I'll tell you that a Tech is exceedingly maneuverable, but I don't know about the 4- to 5-day growth part. I know I'm nervous about an adjustable, too much variability as I'm still getting all my other details worked out!

Yeah, ditch the FatBoy.

I generally shave after 4-5 days during the summer months, so I know what you are looking for. For mowing down a few days growth, I'd look at an Aristocrat Jr. (if you can find one) as you can always resell it for more than you paid. It is the only guard bar razor I would recommend, other than perhaps the Merkur 38C. I'd also recommend a new Muhle R41.

What your really want is a open comb with a heavy handle. Lightweight razors just don't do the job on a 5 day growth, and open combs are pretty much clog proof. So a new improved head or old style head with a handle from Bobs Razor Works will fit the bill. So does the Joris, but it is pricy, so probably not what you want.

The fatboy can be tricky under the nose. I gently pull my nose up and to the left when shaving the right side and pull it up and to the right when I shave the left side. It also helps to stretch the area above the lip by stretching your upper lip over your teeth.

I have only tried a few Gillette open comb razors. I was very reluctant to try an open comb, with rather poor results from the first attempts (from poor choice in blades). To choose between the GoodWill 160, an Old short comb and a one piece open comb Sheraton, I prefer the Sheraton with a Gillette dark blue 7 O’clock blade.

Haven't tried them all, but a Gillette NEW (long or short-combed) has been the easiest razor for me to maneuver under the nose. Some of the later Gem SEs (i.e., Featherweight, Push Button) also are pretty slim and give excellent shaves.

I go side to side using just the corner of the blade to get the few hairs that are closest to the nose. Any other way and I either can't get to them,....

i was wondering this as well as this seems to be a common issue. the only blade i can go N-S immediately under the nostrils is a straight. otherwise it's L-R or R-L in that narrow area.

Jason,
It's not the razor but the blade. Same as a camera taking pictures, it's not the body of the camera, but the lens that is most important. I have 2 fatboys, a few Super Adjustables, some TTO super speeds, and that Fatboy can cut throught a 5 day or more growth if you have a blade for the job. I suggest Feather blades and Fatboy for your shave. And, I dare say, from shaving with numerous straight razors, that the Feather blade will surpass any of them for closeness and smoothnes of shave. Look at this amount of growth and shave. Is your bear more or less like his? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXNNLoCD3V4

I really like my Fatboy and the Slim adjustable comes in a close second followed by the Red Tip. Something else you may wish to look at though that just recently acquired is a Schick injector. I got an adjustable one which is fine I think, but the head is small enough to shave under your nose and it should deliver the kind of shave your looking for. IMHO of course, YMMV.

I have the same issues with the FatBoy. I generally find that heavier razors with the same balance as the fatboy give brutal shaves. EJ's, and Merkur Hd's have a similar balance. I'd suggest a Gillette New, Red Tip, or the Super adjustable all IMHO have better balance and are lighter.

Newbies.... Over 40 years of wet shaving, there's nothing at all wrong with that Fatboy if you do it right and you get a decent blade.

My fatboy isn't my favorite razor by any stretch. The more de I try, the more I think the old type head is as good as it gets.

Top Bottom