What's new

Beginner Hones (minor restoration)

Hey All,
So I recently picked up some older H Boker razors which I am going to be fiddling around with trying to restore over the next few days/weeks. Part of the reason I bought them was so that I could learn to hone on them rather than my new Dovo that I had someone else hone (Thank you Floppyshoes).

I'm wondering what kind of equipment I will need to get started honing these things. One of the razors is pretty sharp (can shave my arm), the other is practically a butter knife. I would also like to work on my new Dovo razor eventually as I am pretty sure I dulled it while learning to strop. Still shaves just not quite as sharp as when it was initially returned to me.

I have heard a norton 4/8k is a pretty standard. Will something like this serve my needs or are there easier/better/other stones that I will need to get rolling on these?

Thanks for the assistance!

I tend to think of the honing process backwards from final polishing, to bevel setting. So if you've only dulled the razor slightly, or it's lost it's keenness and just needs a refresh, I'd use a 12k to polish and maybe some crOx and that should bring the edge back.

If the edge is a little more dull than that you'd go to your 8k for a few, then 12k, and cr0x. Now if you want to start from scratch, or you've damaged your edge you might have to start from scratch, reset your bevel and work your way up.

So a 1k bevel setter, 4/8k norton and strop with crox could do you fine on the cheap. A lot of people say if you hone right, you can shave straight off a 8k hone, or 8k then crox.

If you want to go all out you can go 1k, 4/8k, 12k, crox, jnat finisher (HAD has begun at this stage hehe). I like having the full range to restore, repair, and refresh my razors but it's a commitment in some senses and a cost. Lots of people sell of full honing sets after realizing its not so much for them, or they don have the time, so you can get good deals.

Basically from my limited experience I've found honing to be somewhat a personal experience and something you need to practice and discover on your own, but there's much help out which make the whole process fun! :)

I'm really liking my DMT 600/1200 combo for chip removal and bevel setting. I've only done a couple razors on it but it seems to be breaking in nicely and doing a fine job. I like that I don't have to lap it or soak it or anything.

After that you will need either a series of synthetics, 4k/8k, 12k, etc... Or a natural stone JNAT or Coti/BBW. It is my understanding that by using different slurry stones you can take it through a series of coarser to finer and finish, much like diluting slurry on a coti.

Whichever way you go, it will result in a shave ready edge (once you get your chops up that is). I decided to go the Coti route, and am happy so far. Natural stones just sounded like the way I wanted to go an JNATs were a more expensive route to get into them. heh

But if all you're looking for initially is something to refresh the edge, start at the finishing stage, and work backwards (like he said above).

I would say you don't need a finisher until you can get good edges off a 8k stone. Get some crox on any medium, a DMT 1,2k, and a Norton 4k/8k, or Naniwa 3k/8, or a DMT8k. You should get very good edges with this combo, buy a finisher only if you have achieved very good results.

Top Bottom