What's new

Bear with me - still seeking help buying affordable soap face-lathering badger brush

I'm just afraid I can't afford to try all the options, so I'm leaning on the collective experience here at B&B. I realize YMMV and everything, but please feel free to chime in with whatever opinions you may have.

Options I'm considering at the moment:

(assuming each can be had in the sub $70 range)

Savile Row 3118 silvertip
Savile Row 2122 best
Simpson Berkeley 46 best
Shavemac finest custom 24/48
Vintage Blades 20 or 22 finest

I mostly use Tabac or other hard soaps, but occasionally a TOBS cream or croap. I only have Semogue boars at present (620 and 1438). Only face lather, and smaller brushes suit me well. Like most fellas, I don't care for floppy mops or lather hogs. I'm not as picky about uber softness, a little scrub is ok.

Many thanks in advance!

Of the brushes you have listed, the Shavemac Finest would be my recommendation, though I don't think you can get a 24mm Finest brush delivered for sub $70. That will likely run you $100-110.

I, like some others here, suspect Savile Row is actually Shavemac. I have a SR 3322 silvertip. Awesome brush but ubersoft. If you like some scrub, the SR silvertip is not what you are wanting because it is pillow soft.

I have not tried the SR best grade of hair.

The Simpson Berkley in Best is a fantastic brush, particularly at its price point. Though there is some variability in the Simpson Best grade of hair, I think just about any example will give you some scrub. I love my Berkley and of the sub-$70 choices you have listed, the Berkley would be my pick. It is isn't floppy but not overly dense. It offers good flow through and again, is one of my Simpsons that outperforms its price point.

Overall, if you want to spend the extra cash, I would go with the Shavemac- denser, customizable handle, and more consistent grade of hair, but if you are staying sub-$70, I would strongly consider the Berkley.

I will second what Joe said about the Shavemac. Particularly of the brushes you have listed.

Have you ever thought of having someone making you a brush. Someone like ShaverJoe here. I suppose he can't pimp his own product here but I can. I have 3 of his brushes and all 3 are wonderful. For a brush for face lathering with a little scritch to it, I would go with a TGN 24mm Silvertip Grade A knot set around 47mm-50mm. I actually have 2 with those specs and they are face lathering machines. One Joe made for me and another that I put together myself from TGN parts if you will.

Shoot Joe a PM. He is awesome to work with and will help you with any questions you might have.

Asking that question on here is probably going to get you a hundred different answers. I personally have the Vintage Blades Finest and I I have no complaints with the brush.

Asking that question on here is probably going to get you a hundred different answers. I personally have the Vintage Blades Finest and I I have no complaints with the brush.

Yeah, I guess I was hoping to hear some of the guru's chime in, who've used all these varieties of brushes. You know, the ones who have pictures of a forest full of brushes.

If you're going for the Vintage blades finest, I'd just get a FS defective handle off eBay. They sell for 30-50% of full price and most of the ones I've seen, the defect is hardly noticeable. On mine it's a tiny dot of glue sticking above the handle.

I just got an Omega 636 and am very pleased. Soft but not too floppy, decent backbone, a very small amount of scritch, and it delivers the lather like a champ. Also have a Wet Shaving Product Premium silvertip, excellent backbone, no flop, soft, but just a little bit of a lather hog...it seems to be getting better though. Both are under your $$ ceiling

Thanks for all the input, gents. I'm thinking I'll look to give a Vintage Blades brush a whirl... once the shaving budget is a little more replenished!

I've bought and sold a bunch of brushes lately looking for the best "all around" model. I'm admittedly a fan of Simpson Best knots, so that being said, I'd suggest the Simpson Duke. Probably a Duke 2 since you mention liking a smaller brush.

I have a Duke 3, and it has the perfect combination of backbone and flow for me (tried the Chubby, but not a fan of such a dense knot). The Duke works great for face lathering, and can also whip up some mean lather in a scuttle or bowl.

I have two Morris & Forndran Blonde badgers from Lee, and as beautifully crafted as they are, I reach for the Duke when I just need to create some great lather in a short amount of time. It's a great "utility" brush, and second favorite among my Simpsons--only taking a back seat to the Colonel X2L, which I prefer because of the larger handle.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited:
My vote would be for you to try the Semogue Cerda. Premium boar, lots of backbone for lathering hard soaps, very soft straight out of the box.

I've bought and sold a bunch of brushes lately looking for the best "all around" model. I'm admittedly a fan of Simpson Best knots, so that being said, I'd suggest the Simpson Duke. Probably a Duke 2 since you mention liking a smaller brush.

I have a Duke 3, and it has the perfect combination of backbone and flow for me (tried the Chubby, but not a fan of such a dense knot). The Duke works great for face lathering, and can also whip up some mean lather in a scuttle or bowl.

I have two Morris & Forndran Blonde badgers from Lee, and as beautifully crafted as they are, I reach for the Duke when I just need to create some great lather in a short amount of time. It's a great "utility" brush, and second favorite among my Simpsons--only taking a back seat to the Colonel X2L, which I prefer because of the larger handle.

Good luck in your search!

Berkeley in best was definitely on my list, Duke 2 would be even better, but even more out of price range. Cash is short, so looking for a WTT brush might make the decision for me.

My vote would be for you to try the Semogue Cerda. Premium boar, lots of backbone for lathering hard soaps, very soft straight out of the box.

I'm ready to move to a badger. I have Semogue 1438 and 620, both good in their own way, but missing having a badger. Also not a huge fan of the Barbear Classico handles (sorry to nitpick).

I realize that you use creams and croaps and, personally, i would get the shavemac. Simply because I know that they are soft but they have real good backbone. I also realize that you don't really need backbone for softer soaps and creams but, although you may be thinking overkill, I'd rather have the extra option. You never know...you may start using hard soaps someday!

I realize that you use creams and croaps and, personally, i would get the shavemac. Simply because I know that they are soft but they have real good backbone. I also realize that you don't really need backbone for softer soaps and creams but, although you may be thinking overkill, I'd rather have the extra option. You never know...you may start using hard soaps someday!

Oh, I use soaps. Tabac is my #1. C&E gets some drive time too. (And Arko, is that a soap?) I'll keep it in mind.

Still on list of possibilities, but all out of budget for now unless I find a deal or trade:

Vintage Blades finest
Simpson Berkeley best
Duke 2 (yeah...)
Savile Row best or silvertip (keep dreamin)
Shavemac finest (ditto)

Top Bottom