What's new

Help Me Choose a Semouge Boar Brush

I'm looking for a new brush, and think it's going to be a Semouge boar brush. But which boar brush?

So let me tell you a bit about what I'm looking for. My only brush now is a Razorock Ivory Synthetic, 22mm. I like it, it's soft and works just fine. I just want to experience a different, natural brush. I assume that my RR brush is rather soft with not too much backbone, so a boar brush seems like it would probably give a different experience than what I have.

1) I'm looking for a typical boar brush, not a brush that seems like something else.

2) I chose Semouge because online research seems to say not generally suffer so bad from initial boar funky smell as Omega brushes. Not that all Omegas are smelly, just that there seems to be more online comments that they more often start out smelly. I also don't like most of the plastic handles on Omegas.

3) I like the look of Semouge's natural wood handles. I'm OK with the painted wooden handles. I don't like the look of the acrylic handles, so that removes the 610, 620, 820, and 830 out.

4) From looking at the size of the 2000, I think I'd find it too big for my tastes. So I'm leaving that brush out for now.

5) If I like my first Semouge boar, I'll probably get a SOC (in cherry handle) sometime later. If I don't like my first Semouge boar, I'll probably get a SOC (in cherry handle) sometime, just to give Semouge one more chance. (OK, I'll probably get an SOC at some point, just now now.)

And finally, I generally face lather, but sometime flip back to using a bowl, and rotate between croap and hard soap, using hard soap most often. I generally don't use cream.

Right now I'm thinking 1250. In another hour I'll probably change my mind.

One other option I might take, the Stirling Boar that's on sale right now.

Last edited:
I just got a Semogue 1305 and it's excellent. It didn't have the boar smell like the Omegas typically have. It's a 22mm knot and is breaking in nicely. I bowl lather so not sure how it would do face lathering but I imagine it would work fine.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Go for the stirling , I have it and for 7.95 you can't go wrong.
I also have 2 Semouges and 2 Omegas

While I don't use boar brushes that frequently, I am quite impressed by the reasonably priced Semogue Owners Club brushes - and they do come with wooden handle.

B.

I recently purchased a Semogue 1520 and love it. However, I am seriously considering the Stirling brush. I just received eight samples of their soaps, which are fantastic. At the sale price of the brush, I find it difficult not to find out how good it is.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've always wanted the chance to try the 1800. This seems like a great opportunity for you to do so.. and then report back and tell us how great a brush it is. :)

The SOC is its own kind of brush. Tall, floppy, great handle, "a face full of piggy goodness" is how I've heard it described. But takes a long time to break in. I tried it, but moved on. You should give it a shot, no matter what other brush you buy.

You can't go wrong with a Semogue. I've used many different brushes of many different price ranges and my 830 puts them all to shame. If I was to go for wood I'd snag the 1800. Enjoy.

Go for the stirling , I have it and for 7.95 you can't go wrong.
I also have 2 Semouges and 2 Omegas

The Stirling boar brush looks really nice, I'll probably buy it with my next purchase.. I have the Stirling Kong and it's my go to synthetic when I'm taking a break from badgers.

proxy.php

Get the 2000 and you can thank me later, fantastic for face lathering

Based on your description, I would go with the SOC. That seems to be the one you really crave! Just my $0.02.

IMG_0336.JPG
IMG_0338.JPG
The Stirling boar is in the middle, flanked by Semogues 1470 on the left, and 1800 on the right. RobW, the 1800 is a fantastic brush and my favorite at the moment. The Stirling is new, so not broken in yet, and it is a huge, dense knot so it needs a lot of soap to lather. But I like it, and I'll sure I'll like it more as it breaks in. It's worth 7.95 just for the handle, but that price is only good until Aug. 11, at which time it goes up to a whopping 9.95, so still a great bargain. Having said that, I'd still recommend the Semogue 1800 for your first boar, its a versatile performer and well made. As others have said you can't go wrong with any Semogue. I'll have to pickup the 1305 too at some point.

I lost my mind earlier this year and got "a couple" Semogues. Prior to this "small purchase", my only boar had been an Omega 10066. The first Semogue I tried was the 1305. I like it a lot, better than my Omega but I need to revisit the 10066 to confirm. I like the 1305 so much that I'm not sure when I'll get to try the others waiting their turn.

IMG_0648.JPG
I have the 1460, 1305, and 2000. The 2000 has a big knot. No doubt you need more product with it. But it is a really nice boar brush. Picked it up for €9,50 in Porto this summer. I like it more than my 1305. The bristles of the 1305 are dyed and they don't feel as nice as the 2000 or 1460. They almost look and feel synthetic compared to the natural bristle of the other two brushes. The 1460 is a neat little brush. I can use a normal amount of cream or soap and it creates enough lather for the 2 passes and touchups I usually do. I seem to reach for the 2000 most mornings now, though.

I have had no paint issues, but I never soak the handles. I wet the entire knot, then soak about 2/3 of the knot in my scuttle as I shower.

Last edited:
I have the 1250, 830 and SOC. The 1250 is my least favorite, though not a bad brush. The SOC is outstanding, my favorite brush. BTW, I face lather.

Top Bottom