What's new

First affordable Simpson in best badger?

OK guys the results are in!

Here it is next to my Omega 80005. Dwarfs in comparison!

Came in a nice package from Phil at classicedge.ca with a handwritten note and this $2 stand:

This is the first best badger I've seen and felt in the flesh, and it is indeed magnificent. Obviously denser than my boar brush, different feel altogether. At the moment, the tips feel no softer than my broke-in Omega, but I trust that will change once it has broken in. This little Berkeley is soo cuuuute! And the handle feels very comfortable in my hand. There is one straggler hair, and I do get the impression the knot was hand-trimmed as it is not the absolute peak of perfection (I have seen videos of them doing this on the superior shave). But a commendable effort altogether. My new reference point in best badger!

Unfortunately (as indicated by taksig), despite assurances to the contrary by the vendor Phil, the Berkeley not fit the small Simpsons travel tube without needing to squish down the tip of the bulb. Kind of disappointed about this, as this thing needlessly cost me $12. I guess one day I can acquire a smaller travel brush that will fit (or move to get the large tube instead?)...

My first foray into best badger, and my first foray into Simpsons, who to my understanding is are de facto standard in this category. Had a great shave with my boar brush this morning, which is now really taking off, but I'm excited to work this bulb through a few hand lathers over the next few days in preparation for its maiden voyage!

Your brush is really adorable, enjoy it. Try to contact again the seller and ask him to change the travel tube with a large one or get the Muhle travel tube which is made of plastic and it is also adjustable. In EU costs 3,20 €. Next time you want to buy a brush, have a look in this site. Razors & Shaving Brushes - Diamond Edge
Great prices and very good service.

Your brush is really adorable, enjoy it. Try to contact again the seller and ask him to change the travel tube with a large one or get the Muhle travel tube which is made of plastic and it is also adjustable. In EU costs 3,20 €. Next time you want to buy a brush, have a look in this site. Razors & Shaving Brushes - Diamond Edge
Great prices and very good service.

Thank ye much for the recommendation. Now that I have a Simpsons (!), if and when I decide to go up in knot size I suppose I am likely to go for one of the cheaper yet sufficiently high-quality options, as there appear to be many (good news for us the consumer).

The brush has bloomed and is indeed adorable! I lost 6 hairs the first lather and only 1 or two the second, so I'm confident this knot has staying power. Phil at the Classic Edge (based in Oakville, Ontario) has been a really likeable fellow all along, admitting he made a mistake by not actually going so far as closing the lid, and he simply refunded the money and let me keep the case. I like them and plan to give them more business in the future if I can. Their prices are also good, which definitely helps! Strangely enough, there are at least 5 big online shaving supply retailers in Canada, almost all of which are based in Ontario and use the exact same sales software.

I've decided not to use the Berkeley as a travel brush as I don't want to risk a mould, theft or loss situation. I will probably get a cheap boar or synthetic for that purpose. All is not lost!

Top Bottom