What's new

Beans on toast

I would usually get the own brand beans and add Tabasco, black pepper, and cheddar as they are warming in the pot.

The Tabasco and pepper gives the beans a bit of a kick and the cheese melts into the sauce to make it thicker and give a better texture in my opinion. As I'm adding to the tin of beans I can see no reason to opt for the name brand product.

These are not good beans and I don’t say that only because they’re Heinz. They’re just not good. Try Campbells.
I agree with you 100%.

My German girlfriend and I wanted to try a typically British meal - baked beans, sausages, fried eggs (When I was in Britain, I was familiar with cafes where you could have "breakfast" all day). A supermarket had Heinz (made in Britain) on sale. We tried them, and found them too sweet, as if molasses had been poured into them. Now we buy the own-brand from Kaufland, a German supermarket chain (made in Italy), and we like them. They are also cheaper.

This was our meal this evening (the sausages are vegan):

IMG_5799.JPG
DSCN5300.JPG

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Haha. Not my photo, but they were a staple of my childhood. Or tinned spaghetti jaffles.

My kid is on school holidays, so I just bought an electric jaffle maker (plus a vintage cast iron job, like I had as a kid if we want to go outdoorsing), and have been making various recipes for lunches.
Try beans and cheese, it's one of my favorites.

Top Bottom