What's new

Beans on toast

Wow, that price is mental! A bit of a premium is understandable for an import but that seems far too high, and it seems these are being directly exported from the UK by Heinz itself.

Do you ever drive up to British Columbia?

View attachment 1712546View attachment 1712549
The made-in-Canada "Original" and "British Style" can be had for as low as $1.45 USD per tin (along with several other styles). Cheaper in 4-pack or 9-pack

If you're set on "the real thing", the UK imported tin is commonly available for as low as $2.18 USD.
Pretty sure we have this on the east coast of Canada as well.

Every once in a while I get a craving for the old British beans on toast. There’s two stores that stock Heinz beans locally. The price here in Northern California is crazy.View attachment 1709515

I absolutely salute your dedication to the cause! If one is going to make to make beans on toast then it must be done properly, regardless of price, and simply no other bean will do. We are not here to f*** spiders.

It goes without saying that the toast should be buttered, but for added Britishness, and a truly next level BoT experience - try wanging a load of Marmite on too.

Last edited:

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I absolutely salute your dedication to the cause! If one is going to make to make beans on toast then it must be done properly, regardless of price, and simply no other bean will do. We are not here to f*** spiders.

It goes without saying that the toast should be buttered, but for added Britishness, and a truly next level BoT experience - try wanging a load of Marmite on too.
Good grief not Marmite 🤢.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Beans & sliced smoked brats on a toasted sourdough english muffin with a poached egg

IMG_0656 (1).jpeg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
These navy beans will be baked on low for several hours, taking on a nice brown hue and reducing down to the desired consistency. I make them vegan and add finely diced veg to the stock for flavour.
celery
carrot
onion
tomato
sweet pepper
yellow mustard
molasses
apple cider vinegar
brown sugar
tomato paste
vegetable stock
3C826A87-8A52-4F8A-8DE8-F15CC8CAA46F.jpeg

As a kid living in southwest Virginia, I ate a lot of pinto beans on cornbread.
One of my favorites but haven’t had any in a long while. My family’s from a small town in eastern Kentucky. So small that if you’re not from there or have friends or family there you’d miss it unless you drive by the post office. And if they had a welcome/come again sign it would be on the same side of the sign on both sides and out front of the post office

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
So are Heinz beans the go to here? I admit I was astonished at the price, but I found this-
s-l1600.jpg

in the "foreign" aisle of my supermarket. Am I doing it right? White toast? Need some help here.

My recipe for beans on toast is:

3 slices of white toast, allow to cool, spread with butter and Marmite (never Vegemite - we’re not animals)
1 large tin of beans, heated in a saucepan and poured on top
Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese

I recommend Ribena as the appropriate beverage to complement the meal. I can’t explain why it goes so well, but it does.

Top Bottom