What's new

BBS

It's easy to be lucky when one uses 4 passes. I think 4 passes (not 3 passes) should be the standard for everyone who has tough whiskers, and that usually means anyone older than middle aged. My fourth pass is the same as the first pass, N to S.

Four on the face!
My four passes are done in relation to the direction of my beard growth, which differs all over my face and neck. WTG, XTG, XTG the other way, and ATG. My assertion of luck really referred to my ability to do four passes every day without suffering any irritation. I learned to wetshave from Mantic59.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Learned that chasing BBS on my neck tended to lead to irritation, so now I just do a single pass shave with touchups that leads to BBS on my cheeks and chin and DFS on the neck.

Enjoy shaving each day so a DFS+ every time is perfect in my book!

I never do more than 2 passes, a DFS is good enough for me, why bother going from DFS to BBS when nobody is going to tell the difference and you will have to shave again tomorrow. yes I might feel a difference, but is it really worth it when I have to shave again tomorrow? It's not like I touch my face all day and need to feel around.
To me it just doesnt make any sense to take it further, unless it is a special occasion. Too much effort and risk for too little reward thad lasts less than a day.

Reactions: abj

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I seem to like to gauge my shaves CCS,DFS,BBS and the high lighted ones are my sweet spot target. If my shave falls into this range I,m one happy person. If you wait a 1hr after shaving you more than likely gain some smoothness because if you are a morning shaver your skin is dehydrated from sleeping and by now have had a Coffee or juice....
I wake up get cleaned up and have a glass of water and then start the shave, if you use a balm for Post shave that will help for sure hydrate you skin also to give you a closer shave( cheating :001_tt2: ).

After several decades of shaving, BBS is a daily event, unless I'm in a big hurry. A real BBS shave, IMO, is when you can drag a cotton towel across your face 12 hours later & still don't catch any lint.

I go for BBS and usually always get it. I have my face and beard mapped out pretty well so it’s not too difficult of a task. I’ve been shaving with a de razor for about a decade and have developed a good technique. Lately I’ve been experimenting with the one pass plus touch ups shave. I’ve been getting close to a BBS with that. ....

But how do you really know... anything?

Aside from getting a bunch of guys over and going all empirical via a feel party. Which, you know, would be awkward for the majority of us, you’re just going to have to suspend your insecurities and trust yourself to know when you’re there!

You just shaved. You are about to post about your BBS on B&B. But was is really a BBS? How do you know?
when you drag the hand in all directions and only feel baby-smooth skin, then its BBS. This is something I only do once a week because it's something very special, the feeling of gentle fresh breeze.

I find a suspension of disbelief works well with BBS sightings in the quality section of all shave reports. My own included.

Alternatively, we could apply “No picture, it didn’t happen.” SOTD viewing counts might plummet.

I have seen Bigfoot, though.
D964B4A8-CC50-44FF-8019-42DF14E881D7.jpeg

After several decades of shaving, BBS is a daily event, unless I'm in a big hurry. A real BBS shave, IMO, is when you can drag a cotton towel across your face 12 hours later & still don't catch any lint.

I could never do that. Not at 12 hours. 6 maybe. My beard comes back too quickly. When I was in the army, I used to have to leave a big glaring patch unshaven to point to when accused of skipping shaves.

As to my definitions, a good enough shave is when I can't see stubble in my mirror. BBS is achieved when I can run my fingers around anywhere not beard, in any direction, and not feel any stubble. Usually I land somewhere in between.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think I read that the BBS test is where a cotton wool ball dragged across the face does not catch a single fibre on stubble anywhere. I have not done this myself as I have no interest in trying to achieve BBS. I enjoy the preparation, the routine, and the act of shaving, the end result is not that important to me, it is incidental. I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve and why you are shaving at all. 👍
This might be the best post I've ever read on B&B. Well said.

Top Bottom