What's new

Bay Rum Smell

In general, what does Bay rum smell like? It seems to be pretty popular. I'm not really too familiar with colognes, and I've been thinking about grabbing one, maybe the scs bay rum with a twist.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My exposure to bay rum consists of the Pinaud brand, which has a strong clove scent, and spices. No, it doesn't smell like the lady with the glass of rum took offence to your pick-up line and gave you an airborne drink. :001_rolle

Many brands, all with a bit different variation on the clove and other spice theme. For the price of a bottle of Clubman you can sure try it out and not get hurt much.

Ogallala has an great Bay Rum and a Peppercorn / Lime Bay Rum that's very nice. They even have a Sandalwood Bay Rum that makes a very masculine statement.

Royall has a great line of Bay Rums.

Ogallala Bay Rum is currently running a special where you can get a 2oz sample of their Bay Rum cologne for $0.01. If you like shaving soaps, you can also get the shaving soap sampler for $4.99. With shipping (U.S.) you'll have 5 soap samples and some cologne for less than $10.

I ordered both a while ago and was hooked. I LOVE the scents.
I've now ordered a couple of full size soaps and some aftershave.

Every one is wildly different. I love SCS and HBS bay rum but don't like Ogallala Bay Rum (clover bomb) at all.

Yeah, I don't really know how to describe Bay Rum, as every version is a bit different. Some have more of a clove scent, some a strong cinnamon. While I own and very much like the SCS Bay Rum with a Twist, this would not be my recommendation as a start, as it is more of a lime scent, and not as heavy on the Bay Rum. My favorite is the C. O. Bigelow Bay Rum. It is more complex than most, but I enjoy it a great deal. I also enjoy the Ogallala and TOBS Bay Rums, which seem very similar to me. After that for me is Pinaud. I haven't tried all kinds yet - I still need to pick up some of the Dominica Bay Rum. For most, clove and cinnamon are quite prominent in their scents.

I love Bay Rum, and my Bigelow is the closest to an every day scent as I get.

Just ordered my .01 sample so offer is still posted. Also ordered the shave soap sample. Both with shipping under 10 bucks. Great deal even if the products mediocre. Nice to see someone have enough faith in their product to offer this kind of deal.

In general, what does Bay rum smell like? It seems to be pretty popular. I'm not really too familiar with colognes, and I've been thinking about grabbing one, maybe the scs bay rum with a twist.

Bay Rum, as a fragrance, it very difficult to describe because Bay Rum products can vary greatly from one brand/company to the next. Like you, I had no idea what to expect from Bay Rum, but was curious to try them due to their overwheming praise here. In my experience, some smell a bit like Old Spice; some smell like the bay leaves (and in some cases, cloves) you'd find on your spice rack; and some smell like Pine-Sol (for lack of a better description).

I think you'd do well with SCS Bay Rum With a Twist. The scent is complimented well by the lime twist, and it has great longevity - a quality which is uncommon for Bay Rum fragrances in general. It seems most here at B&B who have tried SCS Bay Rum with a Twist really like it, and at $12 for 3.3 ounces, it's a great value. However, the twist of lime might not give you a good sense of what bay rum smells like.

If you order from SCS, you might ask Sue to include a sample of her Bay Rum EDT so you can get a feel for what Bay Rum smells like (on it's own). I might also recommmend visiting St. John's Bay's website, and purchasing a sample of their Bay Rum.

Hope this is helpful...

-Pete

Top Bottom