What's new

Bay Rum Shaving Soap - Free Samples

HOLD THE PRESSES!!

All samples are now gone!

Well THAT took about an hour, eh?

The samples all ship out Saturday morning first class so look for them first of the week. Give them a workout and then report back RIGHT HERE in this thread as to your opinion. Enjoy the free soap samples and each of you will also find:

1. One free sample vial of our bay rum to compare the scent of the bay rum shaving soap against.
2. One free sample vial of one of our other aftershaves just because The Captain is a swell fellow, eh?:biggrin1:

Last edited:
HOLD THE PRESSES!!

The samples all ship out Saturday morning first class so look for them first of the week. Give them a workout and then report back RIGHT HERE in this thread as to your opinion. Enjoy the free soap samples and each of you will also find:

1. One free sample vial of our bay rum to compare the scent of the bay rum shaving soap against.
2. One free sample vial of one of our other aftershaves just because The Captain is a swell fellow, eh?:biggrin1:

Awesome, thank you! I've never tried any of your products so I'm looking forward to it.

Is this soap different from the RazoRock version that has recently been discontinued?
I've never tried the Captain's Choice RazoRock version but I heard it was excellent.

HOLD THE PRESSES!!

Woo Hoo!!! Excited about this one!! Thanks again!!!

Requests keep streaming in so let me save us some time here -

Unfortunately the limited supply of free bay rum sample soaps are all gone.

They were shipped this morning and should begin arriving by Wednesday.

Stay tuned right here to read what the volunteers think after they have a chance to use it!

Is this soap different from the RazoRock version that has recently been discontinued?
I've never tried the Captain's Choice RazoRock version but I heard it was excellent.

The RR/CC was a hit with customers due to its performance. We are looking forward to the feedback from our volunteers here to see what they think of this new formulation from a different manufacturer. I will say that I wouldn't be sending it out unless I liked it myself.

OK, so my samples arrived and while I haven't had time to shave I have just had time to smell them. I must say I really like the Bay rum scent. The scent of the soap and aftershave are very close to identical. I look forward to test lathering when I get home and then shaving with it in the morning. But initial impression is I really like the scent RRRRRRRRgh.

My samples arrived today as well. The soap and a sample of bay rum and North aftershaves. Having never tried the Captains concoctions, I'm looking forward to a nice shave with them very soon. Thanks, Captain!!

SO, here is my test lather review, shave review will have to wait another day. (this is my first shave soap review so bare with me.)

I bowl lathered for my test using an Omega boar brush and Walmart salsa bowl. I used bottled water at room temperature for this test. I love the scent! I will post comments with each of the photos below.

Below is the lather in the bowl nice amount of lather strong scent when while I worked up the lather. I could have kept working the lather just to keep smelling it. it is fairly strongly scented compared to other soaps I have.
$20150120_190426.jpg

Just another shot of the lather so show you how firm the lather was.
$20150120_190454.jpg
Quick paint of the hand to see how it applies and feel the cushion, nice cushion.
$20150120_190703.jpg
worked it on my forearm and let is sit to see how fast is evaporates/thins.
$20150120_190805.jpg
My forearm after five minutes of sitting on the couch. Noticeable reduction in the thin areas but still good slickness.
$20150120_191351.jpg

I then decided I couldn't waste the lather so I shave SWMBO legs when she got home from work and it had nice glide and adequate/good slickness. SWMBO did say that she didn't like the scent on her but did like the scent for me.

Last edited:
Email sent. Thank you.
Sorry Classless but they were gone within an hour of him starting the thread on 1-16-15.

Requests keep streaming in so let me save us some time here -

Unfortunately the limited supply of free bay rum sample soaps are all gone.

They were shipped this morning and should begin arriving by Wednesday.

Stay tuned right here to read what the volunteers think after they have a chance to use it!

HOLD THE PRESSES!!

Haha, I sent an email as well not seeing the 2nd page of the forum. Sorry for the bother, and look forward to reading more reviews.

I have my samples as they arrived in yesterday's mail. I got a nice shave in with the soap today. I finished the shave with the Bay Rum aftershave and I'm really enjoying it. To give it a fair review I'm going to shave with it a couple more times before I share my thoughts on the performance of the soap.

Scent wise I like it and that's a big deal for me as overall I'm not a big fan of Bay Rum scents. I tend to avoid them because they seem to be all over the place. Some are too sweet and seem to give me an instant headache. Some go wrong when they get carried away with the clove notes and some just smell flat out putrid. I stopped buying any Bay Rum scent without trying it first. I kind of stopped trying them as well after experiencing so many bad ones.

I signed up for this soap trial only because I read a post about the Captain's Choice RazoRock soap being discontinued and that it would be replaced with their own branded soap. After reading the rave reviews and praise that the Captain's Choice RazoRock soap got I figured this one might be worth trying.

I've only found a couple Bay Rum scents that I like so far and this is one of them. In fact in my rotation of about 80 soaps I currently only have one Bay Rum soap. The lone Bay Rum in my den is Barrister & Mann. This one is a really nice scent that's not too far off from the Barrister & Mann Bay Rum scent that I like so well. It's very nicely scented, not too strong and not too faint. Most of the RazoRock soaps are a little light on the scent so while I haven't tried the previous version I do suspect that this one might have a bit more strength to the scent than the previous version. That's a guess on my part though so maybe someone else can comment on that. There are no annoying notes to this one that make me want to wash it off. It has a soft warm scent that I'm enjoying as I write this.

I found a vial of Captain's Choice Bay Rum and a Vial of Captain's Choice Lime aftershave included. Thank you Scott! I transferred the Bay Rum aftershave to a spray bottle and finished the shave off with it. The aftershave is very nice and my face feels great right now.

So for the Bay Rum scent portion of the test the bar is set high and this one makes the cut. Well done there. I'll comment on the other attributes over the next two days.

I have my samples as they arrived in yesterday's mail. I got a nice shave in with the soap today. I finished the shave with the Bay Rum aftershave and I'm really enjoying it. To give it a fair review I'm going to shave with it a couple more times before I share my thoughts on the performance of the soap.

Scent wise I like it and that's a big deal for me as overall I'm not a big fan of Bay Rum scents. I tend to avoid them because they seem to be all over the place. Some are too sweet and seem to give me an instant headache. Some go wrong when they get carried away with the clove notes and some just smell flat out putrid. I stopped buying any Bay Rum scent without trying it first. I kind of stopped trying them as well after experiencing so many bad ones.

I signed up for this soap trial only because I read a post about the Captain's Choice RazoRock soap being discontinued and that it would be replaced with their own branded soap. After reading the rave reviews and praise that the Captain's Choice RazoRock soap got I figured this one might be worth trying.

I've only found a couple Bay Rum scents that I like so far and this is one of them. In fact in my rotation of about 80 soaps I currently only have one Bay Rum soap. The lone Bay Rum in my den is Barrister & Mann. This one is a really nice scent that's not too far off from the Barrister & Mann Bay Rum scent that I like so well. It's very nicely scented, not too strong and not too faint. Most of the RazoRock soaps are a little light on the scent so while I haven't tried the previous version I do suspect that this one might have a bit more strength to the scent than the previous version. That's a guess on my part though so maybe someone else can comment on that. There are no annoying notes to this one that make me want to wash it off. It has a soft warm scent that I'm enjoying as I write this.

I found a vial of Captain's Choice Bay Rum and a Vial of Captain's Choice Lime aftershave included. Thank you Scott! I transferred the Bay Rum aftershave to a spray bottle and finished the shave off with it. The aftershave is very nice and my face feels great right now.

So for the Bay Rum scent portion of the test the bar is set high and this one makes the cut. Well done there. I'll comment on the other attributes over the next two days.
Great review as always David. How does the scent compare to QCS Cayman? I think you have experience with that one also. Since it was in the box.

Also the spray bottle is a great idea, I never would have thought of that!

I received my sample in the mail today. I was pretty excited to get it because I'm a big fan of both the Bay Rum and the Lime aftershaves our fine Skipper produces. Included in the package was a sample of the soap, as well as sibling samples of the Bay Rum and Sandlewood aftershaves. My thanks, good sir, for the bonus sample. It was an unexpected surprise!

It should be noted at the outset that I am entirely new to soaps. I'm going to leave my impression of the soap as a shaving product (latherability, etc) aside for the moment until I get a little more time with this product. I probably did every newbie soap user mistake one can do.

However, let me discuss the scent: I already own the Bay Rum aftershave. One thing that impressed me about this soap was that the scent, dry and in the container, still had presence when the cap was opened and the container held, oh, 3-4 inches away. No need to go nose-deep with this! The scent was a very close analog of the aftershave -- not 100% exact, but very, very close to my Mark I Scent Discriminator (not the most sensitive model, I'm afraid!). Lathering the soap, the scent really came out. It lasted through a 20 minute, three-pass shave, and remained noticeably on the brush even after my post-shave rinse. We'll see if it sticks to the brush after the brush has a chance to dry.

My first impression is favorable. I'll follow up with posts about latherability, slickness, etc, once I've had a chance to use it more. So far, so good.

Once again, thank you for the opportunity to participate in this pre-release demo!

Great review as always David. How does the scent compare to QCS Cayman? I think you have experience with that one also. Since it was in the box.

Also the spray bottle is a great idea, I never would have thought of that!

Thanks, I like this one better than the Cayman soap. The Cayman soap is nice but it's not as soft and warm of a scent as this is. The Cayman scent seems to have more of a clove type note to it but it wasn't to the point of being annoying or anything like that. This one is a little cleaner of a scent kinda like some warm cider cooking on the stove around Christmas time. I think someone took the Cayman one from the soap passaround already. I'll see if I have a sample I can send you if you'd like as I know someone sent me some a while back.

The spray bottles work great and I use them for all of my liquid aftershaves. They are in the travel section for 99 cents at the local Wal Mart and come in different colors as well. I find that I waste a lot less and have more control over how much aftershave I put on by using the bottles. Plus they are all the same size and a ton of them fit nicely on the shelf in the bathroom closet next to my sink without taking up too much room. The bottles they came in are bulky and go into a cabinet in the walk in closet. I use them to refill the spray bottles. It's just a cleaner better way to do it for me.

Jeremy - I did check and I do have a sample of the Cayman soap. I can send you some of that as well as some Barrister & Mann Bay Rum and whatever's left of the Captain's Choice sample (likely about half) once I've completed this trial and you can do your own Bay Rum shootout. PM me your address if you want to do it. The deal is you'll have to post your thoughts in either this post or the soap pass around post if you take the samples.

Last edited:
Top Bottom