What's new

Barber Shop Memories

Let's share some of our distant memories of going to the barber shop as kids. I was born in 1956 so my earliest barber shop memories are from the early 60's. Dad always took me to Mike's Barber Shop. As soon as we entered the smell was unforgettable--a mixture of Pinaud Clubman, Bay Rum, hot lather, and tobacco smoke. I waited my turn and when it came I was hoisted up into the boy's barber chair which sported a horse's neck and head. Sorta like being on a merry-go-round while getting a haircut. I remember men being shaved with straight razors, listening to the conversations and learning many new words that were not permitted in my home. I also remember the barbers lathering up the backs of men's necks for a perfect straight razor finish to a fine haircut. When my haircut was finished I'd get a lolipop and my Dad would flip Mike a few quarters. On the way home I'd lick my lolipop which by then was imbedded with many tiny loose hairs. When we got home, Mom would gush over me and tell me I looked like a new man.

First trip was in the 70's after going numerous times with my mother or sisters to the salon. I always had long hair, and thought that just HOW people wore it.

When my father said he was going to take me to the barber, I thought it was just another salon.

I was shocked by the dark, creepy feel of the place. I thought everything stunk and felt "old". I did notice the combs in the blue solution and thought that was somewhat interesting.

The old guy kept trying to talk to me about odd or mundane things while trying to cut my hair and I just wanted him to ignore me. He stunk of too much cologne and I remember his thick, hairy forearms fluttering in front of my face..

The end result was him taking most of my hair away and leaving my head feeling cold. I never expected anything like it. It wasn't a "styling" I was used to in any way, just a hacking of my head. I hated it, and I think I even hid when I got home. I told my dad I'd never let him take me to the barber again.

I remember staring at the covers of the Playboy magazines, in a pile by the register. My mom used to take me and my brother, things got real quiet when we walked in.

When my father took me, he'd stay around for his own haircut; then there were the times when my mother dropped me off and went about her errands. Completely different feel on each occasion -- I think the barbers would make an effort to be nice to a youngster when a parent was actually around, but would pretty much ignore me when my mother dropped me off. At the time, I thought there was some weird Jekyll and Hyde thing going on. In retrospect, I can see the problem -- who the heck wants to baby-sit a stranger's kid while they have work to do? What the heck was my mother thinking? Anyhow, I always really enjoyed my trips to the barber, regardless of who brought me -- made me feel "grown up." I'd pretend to read the Popular Mechanics magazines, but mostly I was just looking at the jet powered bicycle kit that was always advertised on the back pages, and dreaming of the glorious day when I'd go jetting through the neighborhood. There was a hobby shop next door, and I'd get to browse around in there in if my mother was late picking me up. If my father brought me, there was always a trip to the tobacconists' a few doors down after the haircut (he smoked a pipe back then), where I'd get a comic book and a jaw breaker (really odd that they sold kids' stuff at a tobacco shop in those days -- that would be anathema now). I only once went to a "salon," some time in my teens. It was a horrifying experience, and the place had an acrid smell. I have stuck to barber shops ever since. You just have a clean feeling coming out of a barber shop that you can't get elsewhere...

When we visited my Grandparent's house, my grandpa would always take me to get my haircut and I would always fall asleep while getting it cut.

With my dad I remember sitting there and the barber always said open your mouth and would squirt inside it with the water bottle. And of course I always thought it was cool when the barber would strop the razor on the strop that was strapped to the barber chair.

I started going to the barber shop in the late 50s. The barber shop my father would take me was pretty dull. However, in 1960 my father had to go out of town for a few months for work so my grandfather would take me to his "barbershop". Now that one was much more interesting. We would go around noon on a Saturday like clockwork. This "barber shop" had about 8-10 telephones on the back wall that rang all the time. There were a few "barbers" that did nothing but answer these phones. Guys would come and go but never got a haircut. How strange... :rolleyes: There were always about 10 men sitting in the waiting chairs smoking cigars, including my grandfather, and they didnt get their haircut either. Whenever a "real customer" would come in for a haircut it would get pretty quiet. All I cared about was getting the free lolipop after my haircut. I didnt like that we stayed there for 2-3 hours listening to the horse races. I remember after we left there the first time I had never seen so many telephones and asked why he had so many. Gramps told me "He is just a very popular guy with lots of friends..."

I moved this thread into the B&B Barber Shop as it only seemed fitting to reminisce about past barber shops from within a barber shop. :wheelchair:

I can't say that I have fond memories of going to various barber shops as a kid with my dad. Invariably, it was some old Italian guy who should have retired ages ago who did the cutting. No matter how you explained things, you always got exactly the same cut and it was always horrible. When I was old enough, I started going to the "unisex" places and was generally pleased. Only recently, now that I've been wearing my hair in basically a crew cut for a few years have I gone back to a regular barber shop and been happy. Too bad tho, they don't offer straight razor shaves.

I can't say that I have fond memories of going to various barber shops as a kid with my dad. Invariably, it was some old Italian guy who should have retired ages ago who did the cutting. No matter how you explained things, you always got exactly the same cut and it was always horrible. When I was old enough, I started going to the "unisex" places and was generally pleased. Only recently, now that I've been wearing my hair in basically a crew cut for a few years have I gone back to a regular barber shop and been happy. Too bad tho, they don't offer straight razor shaves.

THANK YOU! I was starting to think I was a freak!

I started going to the barber shop in the late 50s. The barber shop my father would take me was pretty dull. However, in 1960 my father had to go out of town for a few months for work so my grandfather would take me to his "barbershop". Now that one was much more interesting. We would go around noon on a Saturday like clockwork. This "barber shop" had about 8-10 telephones on the back wall that rang all the time. There were a few "barbers" that did nothing but answer these phones. Guys would come and go but never got a haircut. How strange... :rolleyes: There were always about 10 men sitting in the waiting chairs smoking cigars, including my grandfather, and they didnt get their haircut either. Whenever a "real customer" would come in for a haircut it would get pretty quiet. All I cared about was getting the free lolipop after my haircut. I didnt like that we stayed there for 2-3 hours listening to the horse races. I remember after we left there the first time I had never seen so many telephones and asked why he had so many. Gramps told me "He is just a very popular guy with lots of friends..."

Great story Iceman. Laughed my butt off.... goin' to grandpa's bookie for a haircut. priceless.

I remember my first haricut....the poor barber had to put up with my over-energetic self....I was turning my head, trying to follow the scissors.

After seeing what happenes when you turn your head too much (bad haircut), I kept my head still the second time...far better.

The chairs were chrom with reddish-brown cushions, and the kiddie platform had a greenish colored cushion. The inside of the place was pretty clean, mostly white with white/black checkered tile...lots of chrome.

My dad got a straight razor shave there every time we went in for a haircut....given he was only about 6-7 years older than I am now, and was already balding...so in my youth I guessed he was jealous that I had so much hair cut and he wanted to play catch up. :p

I can't recall the scent of the palce though.

Then we have the barbershop I remember, from Indiana (where I spent most of my life from age 9-21). The barber was a rather thin older man, loved basketball. Do not talk bad about Bobby Knight. I don't know why, but he really takes it personally. The shop had green cushions and there was far less chine overall (the stuff actually looked pretty darn ancient).

He offered up straight razor shaves as well, but eventually went to DE safety razors once his age affected his hands a bit much. The place smelled mostly of Aqua Velva, his aftershave of choice. His haircuts were top notch though....you just walked in and told him "make me look good"...and not only will you get a haircut, but you will have a style that works well, at no extra charge, everytime.

Sadly he had to close up shop....but I still remember that place, it was one of the few things in that little podunk town worth going to.

Hey Wa-Baccus, was your shop in Washington?

The barber shop we went to was a guy and his wife named Filyaw. My brother and I used to call them flyaways.

My hair was pretty short all the time anyway (early to mid 70's) a little over my ears maybe. Everytime we would come in, he would say "you want me to make him look like a boy?". Man I hated that.

He was a terrible barber, his wife was much better, and my brother and I would fight to get her.

He did have a pretty cool little shop with an old chest pop machine with all the bottles haging, and you had to slide it to the end to get it out.

In Texas on a LDS mission we went to an old military guy. It 5 bucks, in and out FAST!! He had like 10 people waiting and we were still out of there in like 15 minutes.

I went to a local guy here for awhile, but he messed up my hair, and his wife about cut off my CEO's ear!!

They did shaves there, but after watching that, I figured I would pass.

I would love to find a nice place that was a cheaper version of AOS.

Marty

I started going to the barber shop in the early 70s. It was one of those places that had been around awhile, but of course it was the 70s, so they had started doing the styling thing. I remember sitting in the "booster" chair that went across the arms. And you could still smoke inside back then, so the place was always kinda smoky.

I never had long hair, so I never had any of the "mod" styles, just a regular haircut.

We moved when I was ten, and started going to this barbershop that was in the other end of a strip mall from a grocery store. The fella in there was really old, and he nicked me with the straight a couple of times. Later, I was in Junior ROTC, so I had to keep a short, regulation cut.

The best has been the place I still go to. I've been going there nearly 20 years. The guy is great, and the barbershop is in an old on-campus hotel that has been turned into dorms, but the barbershop still runs separately. I don't know what I'll do when this guy retires.

There used to be 20 something barbers in this little college town. That was in the days when it was an all-male military school. Now there are two and then the "Cost Cutters" type places. :thumbdown

I remember going to the barber shop when I was a small kid. It was a small barbershop close to home. I couldn't wait till I was old enough not have to sit on the board like other children. (The board was for small children to sit on & be close to the same height as an adult.)
In front of the door on your way out was a quarter that had been glued into the surface of the floor. It was there so the barber & other people could laugh when anyone tried to pick it up.
Unfortunately, my dad came home one day with a hair clipper set & told my mom she was going to learn to cut our hair & this would save money.
I loved my mom, but I sure can remember getting poked in the head with the clippers & having my bangs cut but by the time my bangs were cut EVEN, I almost had a crew cut. I used to think how lucky other children were to be able to go to that small barbershop that smelled so good.
But now, I would not trade any memories of my mother or dad for they are a treasure to me!
I go to a small barbershop in out town, but in a different location. I never did get a shave with a straight razor in a barber shop; but maybe one day I will.
But at least I don't have to sit on the board now!
Scotty :smile:
PS: Memories are precious & live in your heart!

My barber's name was Jack. His wife was my 5th grade English teacher. I have more fond memories of her than him. She wore mini-skirts and was HOT! I never walked into his shop after I received a really bad, bad haircut, and my mother started taking me to her "beauty shop". But I do remember, the smell of cigars, cigarettes, coffee, old comic books, and the displays that held the scalp massagers, combs, and the hot lather he would put over my ears. Jack retired and went into the poultry business, and my thoughts switched from his wife in mini-skirts to his cheerleader daughters!

Randy

WOW... memories! We went to a local barber shop. My dad usually took us. There were two brothers who ran the shop. One was older, and I remember that he had really hairy arms, and when he cut with his scissors, he would bite down on his tongue every time he closed the blades. We always hoped that we would get the younger guy... but, we didn't have a choice. The shop was always clean, and it smelled of whatever "stuff" they used... the powder to get the hairs off your neck when they finished your haircut, and the stuff that was in the bottle that they put on you afterwards. It smelled good... clean.

Yeah... I remember that seat that they put over the arms of the chair to boost you up to adult height, too. My favorite treat afterwards were Necco Wafers... and, I got them every single time.

Graduating to being able to sit in the chair was quite a rite of passage! Having the barber put warm shave cream on your face, using the strop to sharpen the straight razor, and shaving your "sideburns"... that was the next big step.

Those are the things that a kid remembers. :smile:

chop-chop

When I used Pinaud Clubman aftershave last weekend, I realized that this was the same scent as the talc the barber put on the brush before whisking off your neck when I was a wee lad in the 50's & 60's. Wow, that really took me back. I would go to a barbershop in downtown Sherman, Texas and had to get a burr haircut, same as my father. It was really old timey, and I always got a piece of gum after the haircut. They had a shoe-shine man, a very wonderful African-American gentleman they called "Preacher" because that is what he did on Sundays in a local church. Oh, how Preacher could pop that shine cloth. My father always got his shoes shined and they looked great. Occasionally, I would wear my Sunday shoes to the barber shop so I could get them shined.

Then, when I was about 9 years old, a barber shop opened two blocks from my house. I started walking down there to get my hair cut. The thing I remember most about that time was that the barber finished up the cut with some warm lather around the ears and neck, and used a straight razor to trim that area. I didn't think anything about it at the time, but he was a master with that str8. I never got any cuts or nicks from him. I bet he could give a heck of a shave. Again, like the other shop, he finished up with the Clubman talc on a brush.

A few years ago, my long-time barber/stylist lady went to a normal barber shop to work. I have been with her for about 13 years and have followed her to four different shops. In this regular type of barber shop, there was a small table with a drawer in the corner of the waiting area. Whenever I was waiting for her, there was always someone sitting in the chair by that table. I mean it was ALWAYS occupied. Then, one day I found out why. In the drawer of that table was Playboy magazines! I saw a guy take out one and put it inside a Motor Trend and start reading and then I knew. I wonder how many old barber shops had a similar "corner table" with goodies like that. I was sorry she left that shop to go somewhere place before I got the nerve to open that drawer and start on a Playboy. Juvenile, huh? Especially for someone in their late 40's at that time. :redface:

The worst thing about that last shop is that no one used Clubman talc.

Thanks for the opportunity to call up some nice memories.

I don't believe I ever went to a true barber shop until I was in college. The town I grew up in had one or two barber shops, but they were in parts of town that were out of the way from my family's normal paths through town. That and my family changed hair cut places every couple months. Went to a place in a strip mall for awhile, went to the JC Penny salon for awhile, we probably hit up easily a dozen different places throughout my childhood (mind you I avoided getting haircuts as a kid and thus got them approx. every 4-6 months).

I went to this barber shop in college that was across the street from the school. Most of their patrons were 50+ y/o guys and one or two cash & transportation strapped college guys ($9 haircuts!). Two guys worked the place, though one seemed to be a part-timer since he was rarely there. I stopped going there when I came back to my apartment after a haircut only to have my roommate tell me the guy had left this huge lock of hair completly uncut. The lock was a good 2-3 inches longer than the rest of my hair, how did he miss that?!

Now I go to a place where the downstairs is a women's day spa and the upstairs is supposed to be similar but for guys. Expensive haircuts ($40) but they do better than the places that charge <$20.

I have great memories of the barber I started going to as a kid. Started when I was 6-7 years old. My grandfather would take me with him to get a cut. My mom would sometimes take me but as soon as we walked in it would get unbeliveably quiet. Being a kid I thought they didn;t like us. Came to figure out that they got quiet whenever a woman would walk in. I went to school with the barber's son and daughter and I had an unbelievable crush on the daughter. Keep going back just to see her on the rare occasions she'd be there bringing her dad lunch or helping out sweep clippings.. The barber used to give straight shaves but doesn't anymore due to his age and shaky hands. The shop is really little more than a shack and the barber chairs are well worn. Great atmospehere though. You can get real Mexican Cokes in the heavy glass bottle out of a vintage Coke dispenser. Perfect for a hot day! Even though I now live about 45 minutes away I still get by there every two weeks. Charges $5 for a cut and I tip him another $5 and it's still cheaper than the salons I've tried over the years that are closer to home. Great place.

Top Bottom