What's new

Barbasol Floating Head........what a shave!

Hope to try this one out this week.
Barbasol.jpg

The FH Barbasol came today. This is what you call hardware, a real chunk of change. Heavy with a long barrel. Interesting cap attachment.

Could not wait for morning so I shave this evening with the Floating Head.

First thing I noticed was the protruding blade. Well, hello!! I can see this razor being for someone coming from a straight razor back in the day, and knowing how to use a blade.

I really wanted to like the Barbasol Floating Head. I lucked into one in great condition, but couldn’t get a truly close shave with it. I loaned it to @mjclark, to get his thoughts. He seemed to like it and, given the outrageous shipping costs from the UK to Seattle, I offered to sell it to him at cost. He accepted (and saved a tidy sum in shipping), allowing me to know the razor found a great new home with a true gentleman. Marcus, are you still using it?

I really wanted to like the Barbasol Floating Head. I lucked into one in great condition, but couldn’t get a truly close shave with it. I loaned it to @mjclark, to get his thoughts. He seemed to like it and, given the outrageous shipping costs from the UK to Seattle, I offered to sell it to him at cost. He accepted (and saved a tidy sum in shipping), allowing me to know the razor found a great new home with a true gentleman. Marcus, are you still using it?

I can see how some may not be able to get a close shave. You are literally using the blade, or that's how is seems to me. I might use it for several days, try different mediums, and add a new Astra. This razor is the berries. :)

All this talk about the Barbasol, I had to get mine out and I'm glad I did. Last night I had a very smooth, close shave. It wasn't like that when I first got but after a few shaves, it's now one of my favorites.

2018-05-24 06.41.03.jpg

I enjoyed the Barbasol FH a great deal and it’s an excellent reference point when discussing aggressive razors but tbh it’s outshaved by a lot of other razors I own, notably the LeResche Prototype and Matador DeLuxe.

I enjoyed the Barbasol FH a great deal and it’s an excellent reference point when discussing aggressive razors but tbh it’s outshaved by a lot of other razors I own, notably the LeResche Prototype and Matador DeLuxe.

What’s different about those two razors that produce a better shave for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My second use says this is not a razor for those with skin easily irritated. The Aqua Velva stung, but quickly did its soothing purpose.

What’s different about those two razors that produce a better shave for you?

I find both razors to be much smoother and more efficient than the BFH.

IMHO the geometry of the Barbasol is not as well thought out as the LeResche and Matador.
With the Barbasol you can easily get a rough patchy shave and it requires a lot of attention to angle.

The LeResche Prototype and the Matador DeLuxe both give a much more effortless and irritation free shave.
And they are also both more aggressive so the still require respect but for me give a better end result.

I find both razors to be much smoother and more efficient than the BFH.

IMHO the geometry of the Barbasol is not as well thought out as the LeResche and Matador.
With the Barbasol you can easily get a rough patchy shave and it requires a lot of attention to angle.

The LeResche Prototype and the Matador DeLuxe both give a much more effortless and irritation free shave.
And they are also both more aggressive so the still require respect but for me give a better end result.

I can see your point. The Barbasol is not as comfortable as the Goodwill or #77 RFD.

The enjoyment for me is the blade jutting straight forward from under the camp giving me something of a straight razor feel. It make me shave differently and therefore consistent with my interest of having a variety of experiences.

I got a great shave this morning with a 7 use Astra. In this razor, the blade still delivers. For me, I have no regrets.

I have one of the Royal Crown, non-floating head, clones. I don't like it. It makes every blade feel dull. Brand new Feather blade - tuggy. Once it had a loaded a blade and tightend handle, I noticed a sizable gap between the cap and baseplate in the middle of the head. The blade would be just floating unsupported in the gap. I discovered that if I used my thumbs to push up on the exposed blade tabs the blade would make a sharp "click" as it shifted in the razor, and then the razor would shave a little better.

I have one of the Royal Crown, non-floating head, clones. I don't like it. It makes every blade feel dull. Brand new Feather blade - tuggy. Once it had a loaded a blade and tightend handle, I noticed a sizable gap between the cap and baseplate in the middle of the head. The blade would be just floating unsupported in the gap. I discovered that if I used my thumbs to push up on the exposed blade tabs the blade would make a sharp "click" as it shifted in the razor, and then the razor would shave a little better.
In my experience the non floating head is an entirely different species and rather undistinguished.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Top Bottom