What's new

Barbasol Floating Head........what a shave!

Used my recently acquired Barbasol Floating Head this morning. Paired with a fresh Polsilver SI blade and using Haslinger Schafmilch soap, this razor delivered a fantastic two pass BBS shave that is still DFS 12 hours later! The sheer weight of the two piece razor allowed me to use zero pressure. My beard grows the full length of my neck, stopping just short of tying into my chest hair, and this can cause irritation issues due to razor head/blade angles when moving through the looser skin and contours of the neck area but the Barbasol blazed through a full day's growth effortlessly and handled the trouble spots with ease. I picked up one small weeper near my Adam's apple but that was carelessness on my part and no fault of the razor. I've read that this razor isn't exactly common and, heck, mine is the first one I've ever actually laid eyes on, but I would advise anyone looking for a workhorse vintage razor to not pass one up if it comes your way!
barbasol floating head.jpg

Nice find. This one is on my list of wants but price normally prevents me from getting one. I am just too cheap! Hope you enjoy it. Looks great!

Nice find. This one is on my list of wants but price normally prevents me from getting one. I am just too cheap! Hope you enjoy it. Looks great!
Clones are cheap and relatively easy to find. Most of the clones are the non-floating head variety, which shave very similar to its floating head cousins.

Clones are cheap and relatively easy to find. Most of the clones are the non-floating head variety, which shave very similar to its floating head cousins.
Hmm I would disagree on the last part, I find the non.floating clone to be an unexceptional shaver.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hmm I would disagree on the last part, I find the non.floating clone to be an unexceptional shaver.
All clones are not created equal. I've got three of them - to me, the two on the left shave similarly to the Floating Head, and the Royal Crown clone on the right is milder.

Also, we've all got different best types, skin sensitivities and shaving techniques. I shave at a steep angle (SASA) and use a blade for 60-80 shaves (Excalibur), which might also account for our differing opinions.
proxy.php

All clones are not created equal. I've got three of them - to me, the two on the left shave similarly to the Floating Head, and the Royal Crown clone on the right is milder.

Also, we've all got different best types, skin sensitivities and shaving techniques. I shave at a steep angle (SASA) and use a blade for 60-80 shaves (Excalibur), which might also account for our differing opinions.
proxy.php
Sure. I have the middle one and for me it feels an order of magnitude milder. I find the greatest differences among razors evidence themselves primarily on my head shave , especially ATG. Typically three beard and head shaves per blade.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congrats on your acquisition of great razor.

It took me a minute to get used to how aggressive of the Barbasol FH even though I normally use a Gillette Old Type.

I found mine at a flea market. When I saw it, I thought it was a new modern razor, for $7.00, I thought what the heck. When I got home I realized it was a mint condition 80 year old Barbasol.

Nifty razor! Until I joined here the only product I knew they made was shaving cream. Razor looks like it is made like a battleship. Nice indeed. Enjoy you AMs with it.

Thanks all. Mine won't win any beauty contests either but it is a tank! Mind you that it came in this box of razors that I paid $25 for (bottom pic is after cleaning)!

Might get it replated one day if it stays a regular in the ever-growing rotation.
auction razors 2.jpg

clean group.jpg

Top Bottom