What's new

Balogna / Baloney

I do miss Koegels Viennas! Only “hotdog” I actually liked! Too bad we don’t have them here in Fl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, you know what they say about knowing how the sausage is made.
How could you be so mean? We told you you'd be sorry for inventing that machine. Now all the neighbours' cats and dogs will nevermore be seen ... they'll all be ground to sausage meat in Johnny TexLaw's machine!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
How could you be so mean? We told you you'd be sorry for inventing that machine. Now all the neighbours' cats and dogs will nevermore be seen ... they'll all be ground to sausage meat in Johnny TexLaw's machine!

Folks talk about not wanting to see how laws and sausages are made. I've seen (and done) both!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Now we have to wonder if people can get their minds around natural casing...

I'll go off on a rant... We're focused on bologna in this thread but I'm willing to wager 80% of folks in the USA have little idea what their eating 80% of the time particularly it's processed. So what's the hangup? Offal is unappealing because it comes from a "weird" part of the animal? !@#$. I eat those parts because I respect the animal's demise in order to provide me with food (and many of them are delicious when prepared correctly).

I must admit I adhere a little bit to the notion that if you have never taken a life and butchered it you have less business eating anything from a living creature. Imagine yourself a little further down the food chain. "Holy smokes... they killed me to sautee my pinky fingers?!?!" I certainly don't relish the experience of slaughtering and butchering an animal but it keeps me in touch with the value of that life and the fact that in order to respect it I need to utilize as much of it a I possibly can.

As always YMMV.

I'll go off on a rant... We're focused on bologna in this thread but I'm willing to wager 80% of folks in the USA have little idea what their eating 80% of the time particularly it's processed. So what's the hangup? Offal is unappealing because it comes from a "weird" part of the animal? !@#$. I eat those parts because I respect the animal's demise in order to provide me with food (and many of them are delicious when prepared correctly).

I must admit I adhere a little bit to the notion that if you have never taken a life and butchered it you have less business eating anything from a living creature. Imagine yourself a little further down the food chain. "Holy smokes... they killed me to sautee my pinky fingers?!?!" I certainly don't relish the experience of slaughtering and butchering an animal but it keeps me in touch with the value of that life and the fact that in order to respect it I need to utilize as much of it a I possibly can.

As always YMMV.
I've never done the butchering, but often been the cook for those who do. I've tried most parts (had quite the guided tour of a whole smoked hog with the late great Mike Mills). I agree it's important to understand farm (or hunting ground) to table.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
We used to call it round steak. Or poor man's steak. Plain sliced with mustard and lettuce on white bread as a sandwich, fried with eggs for breakfast, or with boiled potatoes for supper. It was a staple lunch sandwich when were kids. This budget sliced sausage could do it all. I dont buy it often these days, but now and again I buy it as a salty, fatty treat. Anyone else enjoy balogna?

Dang, those sandwiches and Kool-Aid. The lunch of my youth!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I must admit I adhere a little bit to the notion that if you have never taken a life and butchered it you have less business eating anything from a living creature
Never got to kill and clean a bird or beast ... but plenty of fish. Maybe not quite the same, but it does get one a ways down the same road.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Never got to kill and clean a bird or beast ... but plenty of fish. Maybe not quite the same, but it does get one a ways down the same road.
With all my bragadicio I may have overstated. I do think people should think about and appreciate their meal is coming from.

As always YMMV.
That's not really the point, Chef! The point is to know what you are eating and how it was made. For example, in many other countries, bones with scraps of meat pressed through a sieve under hydraulic pressure would not be considered meat and could not be labeled or sold as meat. The "output" contains a lot of fat and gristle, but you can't see that since everything is so finely ground. Fatty chunks heated and spun through centrifuges and treated with ammonia would not be considered human food. In the U.S. this is legally sold as ground meat. It is fraudulent. This stuff is not fit for human consumption elsewhere.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
That's not really the point, Chef! The point is to know what you are eating and how it was made. For example, in many other countries, bones with scraps of meat pressed through a sieve under hydraulic pressure would not be considered meat and could not be labeled or sold as meat. The "output" contains a lot of fat and gristle, but you can't see that since everything is so finely ground. Fatty chunks heated and spun through centrifuges and treated with ammonia would not be considered human food. In the U.S. this is legally sold as ground meat. It is fraudulent. This stuff is not fit for human consumption elsewhere.
I agree COMPLETELY with what you're saying. I may not have stated it well, but that is my point to a certain extent. Byproducts be what they be. Are you, as a consumer, aware of what you're eating? I genuinely believe the vast majority are not.

I rather like bologna fried or with a good smoke on it, but I don't care for it straight from the fridge. I never liked the residual, fatty mouthfeel that Oscar Mayer bologna has when I was a kid. Just thinking about my years-long, daily regime of "baloney" and cheese sandwiches on white bread for lunch still gives me a mild case of the willies. It was a great day when I finally convinced my Mom to mix things up with other lunch meats.

I haven't made an emulsified sausage, yet, but ring bologna is high on my list for when I get around to it (maybe soon and before the weather gets too warm).

For anyone who thinks any regional or national brand emulsified sausage (including the beloved weiners we've been talking about in another thread and even your finest international sausage) isn't made primarily from trimmings--well, I have some news for you. That's what these sausages and just about any others are all about. That said, there's nothing in the world wrong with trimmings. It's just muscle and fat and some connective tissue like beef steak or slice of ham you devour with relish (except maybe a bit more of that connective tissue).

But don't think much in the way of non-muscle tissue gets into those sausages, either. They would greatly affect the flavor or texture. They have their own tasty uses (blood and liver sausages, head cheese, scrapple, etc.)

In any case, I'm all for using the whole carcass. Like already mentioned, I shudder to think of the tons and tons of quality, tasty nutrition that go to waste because someone thinks it's "gross."
Scrapple Mmmmmmmmm........

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Fried cheap bologna is an odd treat, same with spam.

But that vinegary ring bologna from the Midwest is really tasty! We cannot get it in the south.

AA

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I certainly don't relish the experience of slaughtering and butchering an animal but it keeps me in touch with the value of that life and the fact that in order to respect it I need to utilize as much of it a I possibly can.
I totally agree with this. There is a huge difference between raising the animals that you eat and simply buying steaks in the “Beef” section of your local market.

Back 50 yrs ago, when you could get a good eqq bagel from authentic jewish bakers, we would fry up bologna, and back then it was somewhat better than the stuff today, and and a nice thick fried piece on a bagel was tasty..
Now we get kayem small bologna for the wife and she enjoys that. have to get it in NE and fly in to florida.

Top Bottom