What's new

Balin's Blade Bonanza

Second Shave with the ASCO went a little better than yesterday! Both sides of the blades felt the same.
1000005234.jpg

I'm with @Guido75 and prefer the Racer and also agree it's not the same blade. I'll take it for another spin tomorrow.

Shave #2 - ASCO (Orange)
Lord L6
Barbasol

I shaved slowly and deliberately making sure to not miss a single hair to test the efficacy of the ASCO. The blade I used seemed to have a blindspot already, a part of the edge which just doesn't cut as well. This generally happens to me on a blade I have used multiple times and is a sign of dulling; this particular ASCO was only on its second shave though.

The final results were good enough and I did not have a bloodbath this time, so that is happy times indeed. I still had the remaining stubble problem I described in my previous log, even though I made sure to grimace or use my fingers to stretch my skin taut to maximize the cutting leverage. Following my hunch, a reload of the razor with a Treet Platinum was in order and with hundreds of Treets in my inventory, it's no biggie to sacrifice one to test my hypothesis.

The Treet had no issues making the stubble disappear entirely. So this ASCO blade has significant shortcomings in sharpness. Did I just get a dud? I honestly thought the idea of a bad blade was all mental, but this sure seems like it. We shall see. The next ASCO shave will be with a new blade because I binned this one.

It's too late for me to edit my post, but here's an addendum to Shave #2 with an ASCO Orange. I have slight skin irritation. I did notice a bit of a burn when I splashed on my Nivea Calming Balm after this morning's shave, but didn't think much of it. I just looked in the mirror and I detect some redness.

These ASCOs are kind of a rough ride, no?

Shave 2 with my second ASCO
1000005243.jpg

Rating 🐯🐯🐯🐯/5

Its not quite as bad as a Tiger for me but its getting close 🤣.

This blade does not work for me. Well it does remove whiskers but not in the most enjoyable way. It felt like it was pull whiskers out by the root. I did my usual 2 pass and did not push it. There was minimal alum and aftershave feedback but I should have done a touch up pass.

I will try a fresh one again tomorrow if I am feeling brave.

Date20.03.2024
366 daily shaves
080/366

RazorBladeBrush
Karve CB OC-CASCO (3)Semogue Cherry Finest
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (61)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. I would say best shave yet with this blade. The Christopher Bradley is a fantastic razor with baseplate C.

For extended shave notes click here.

The blade on shave 3 performed the best yet and I believe in large part because of the open comb. Smooth and comfortable and more effective today than in the previous shaves - although I could also show it at DFS+++ rather than BBS-. It depends.

Enjoy your shave!

Date21.03.2024
366 daily shaves
081/366
RazorBladeBrush
Greencult 1.0ASCO (4)Yaqi Lucky Dice
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (62)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Easy comfortable no fuzz shave. Wonderful.

For extended shave notes click here.

The blade on 4 still is performing above my initial expectations. I think it even has life left in it.

Enjoy your shave.

Shave #3 - ASCO (Orange)
New Blade!
Arko Shaving Soap
Lord L6 1st Pass
Fatip Grande 2nd Pass

Same song, second verse. I grabbed a new blade just now, taking a shower after a noon session of tennis drills. I'm disappointed to report that the ASCO blade I previously used and binned was not a dud. This new one fresh from its wonderfully bright wrapper felt exactly the same in my Lord L6. I even had built up a fantastic head of Arko lather and had plenty of glide and cushion to work with. With the first pass finished and the stubble stubbornly staying (say that quickly thrice), I thought to try a trick that had worked for me before in "revitalizing" a dulling blade.

I pulled out my Fatip Grande, a razor regarded aggressive, and popped in the ASCO blade and resumed shaving a second pass. Bad idea. I was able to remove the stubble all right, but the Fatip accentuated the simultaneous roughness and dullness of the ASCO. I got rid of the hair at the cost of comfort and 2 weepers. Even now after a regimen of witch hazel, Nivea Post Shave Balm, and Nivea Face Moisturizer, I feel the burn.

These ASCOs just don't suit my face, and I concur with @Guido75 and @Balin that they are NOT the same blade as the Lord Racer. I found the Racer just OK for me personally, but it is far, far better than the ASCO in my opinion.

Cranewarrior is signing off until the next model as he (me) won't be using this one again.

Sad Tb GIF by Hide The Pain Harold

It is so interesting that you all are having a similar experience with the ASCO blade. There must be something wrong with me. I actually like this blade. I have not a problem using it for 6 shaves and probably could go longer. I guess the YMMV strikes big time on this one. Very interesting indeed.

It is so interesting that you all are having a similar experience with the ASCO blade. There must be something wrong with me. I actually like this blade. I have not a problem using it for 6 shaves and probably could go longer. I guess the YMMV strikes big time on this one. Very interesting indeed.
I think 6 shaves with this blade is very doable. Today and yesterday with fairly aggressive and good clamping razors the blade was just fine. Double digits might be less obtainable, but who knows?

I think 6 shaves with this blade is very doable. Today and yesterday with fairly aggressive and good clamping razors the blade was just fine. Double digits might be less obtainable, but who knows?
I used three blades for three weeks for a total of 21 shaves and it is my 3rd blade overall so far in my ranking. Not bad std dev either. I ran it in four different razors from quite mild in the Lord L6 to upper medium in the RR GC .84P. Well it just goes to show that it is very individualistic.

1711050856658.png

Across the razors it seems to have been good. the Lord L6 is a bit lower, but that is most likely because it is not quite as efficient as the other razors tested.
1711050980487.png

Maybe a slight degradation over the shave number, but nothing real bad so yes I could have gone longer.
1711051164490.png

I don't have heavy, coarse hair. Pretty average. I was only able to grow a full mustache and goatee because of the extended seclusion time during Covid. As a relatively low demand user, I can get along with most razor blades, but I have recently encountered two I don't care for. First, the Chinese Gillette London Bridge and now the ASCO by Lord. In contrast I have tried several low-end blades and found them OK like the Super-Max Stainless, Shark Super Stainless, and Big Ben Stainless. I want to revisit the Shark & Big Ben now, since some people think all the Lords are the same.

I don't have heavy, coarse hair. Pretty average. I was only able to grow a full mustache and goatee because of the extended seclusion time during Covid. As a relatively low demand user, I can get along with most razor blades, but I have recently encountered two I don't care for. First, the Chinese Gillette London Bridge and now the ASCO by Lord. In contrast I have tried several low-end blades and found them OK like the Super-Max Stainless, Shark Super Stainless, and Big Ben Stainless. I want to revisit the Shark & Big Ben now, since some people think all the Lords are the same.
I love my Lord blades and I find ASCO, Big Ben, Lord Cool very very similar. I still have some Lord blades to go through though.

I love my Lord blades and I find ASCO, Big Ben, Lord Cool very very similar. I still have some Lord blades to go through though.
I really like the Lord Cool and The Racer wasn't bad for me at all. I just don't get along with ASCO. I may set them aside for a few months just to make sure the first bad blade ASCO is pushed out of the memory banks!! 😂

I find it interesting too, how different people's experiences are.

Its after 5 and I still haven't shaved, I think I may be avoiding the ASCO 🤣.

We are returning to our regular scheduled program again tomorrow. Today’s shave was a Tiger Platinum. Wonderful shave by the way.

O look, Tigers and GSB can go together (picture by IndiaMart):

1711126490081.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom