What's new

Balin's Blade Bonanza

Also, what height did your dad set the knot?
I looked at AP’s website and the knot has a white band at the bottom of the knot where the hairs are set in plastic:

1712102073971.jpeg

I cannot see that band on my brush so I am assuming he placed them further down the hole.

Date03.04.2024
366 daily shaves
094/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW RFBDurable Sharp Titanium (3)Abe’s Brush Works Smokey Bandit
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (76)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5/10 (Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. In the end an excellent shave with a mild yet ultimately effective razor. Another superb brush by my dad!

For extended shave notes click here.

Blade is going on 3 shaves now and my guess is that it’s not going to last that long. Still sharp mind you, but comfort levels have been fluctuating and therefore decided to pair it with a milder razor to balance the harshness. I have decreased the sharpness score as I feel stubble returning relatively early on in the day. Smoothness increased somewhat, but that could also be on the account of the razor.

Enjoy your shave!

Shave #2 - Sharp Titanium
Muhle R89
Cella Green

I had an uneventful 2 pass shave after working up a great soap lather. I added a water dropper to my toolkit and this lets me control the amount of water I add to my soap to a much finer degree than before.

The shave itself finished great. I can't argue with the results. Another DFS with little effort.

I think my better lather helped smooth out the feel a bit and I didn't notice the harsher notes that I did on the first shave. I could still wish for a bit more glide, but I think this is not one of the Sharp Titanium's strong suits. One small weeper on the center of my chin.

Overall a very good shave. I don't hate this razor blade. Maybe I will like it better as I use it more and get used to its characteristics. I will try it next in my Gillette Tech.

Last edited:

Date04.04.2024
366 daily shaves
095/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Red TipDurable Sharp Titanium (4)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (77)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Easy and close shave with the gorgeous Red Tip and a 4th fabulous brush by my dad.

The blade is on its 4th shave which technically is more than I estimated this blade to handle, but that’s no indication that the blade is starting to smoothen out or anything.

Enjoy your shave!

Taking as a reference a phrase that is often used in football terminology and translocated into everyday discursive experience in Italy, I will say that I do not want to enter the discussion with you here with a knee-jerk intervention.

And I apologize for that to you participants in the discussion.

I own several orange-colored Asco's and I just got the Sharp 7 AM Super Platinum so I would gladly participate with you although you must excuse me I am not good at posting SOTD photos.
However if it is acceptable in the next few days I will write my evaluations on shaves using the two blades.

Only these because the others I see have been listed by the opener of this discussion I do not own them, some I have had and tried in the past.

Taking as a reference a phrase that is often used in football terminology and translocated into everyday discursive experience in Italy, I will say that I do not want to enter the discussion with you here with a knee-jerk intervention.

I own several orange-colored Asco's and I just got the Sharp 7 AM Super Platinum so I would gladly participate with you although you must excuse me I am not good at posting SOTD photos.
However if it is acceptable in the next few days I will write my evaluations on shaves using the two blades.

Only these because the others I see have been listed by the opener of this discussion I do not own them, some I have had and tried in the past.
Photos are not necessary! I only moved to posting photos because I was being lazy typing out my gear!

Shave #3 - Sharp Titanium
Gillette Tech
Some deodorant bar

A fine midday shave was had with the Titanium blade and a pre-war Gillette Tech (fat handle). I had a lazy morning and played tennis at a club and showered and shaved there afterwards. I forgot my shaving soap and settled for using one of those little soap bars they give out at hotels and gyms.

I shaved at a leisurely pace. There wasn't a whole lot to remove because this was barely 32 hours growth.

The Titanium blade performed well on this third use. Still no gliding feeling, and I don't ever expect to get it with this razor blade. I will say it doesn't seem to have lost much if any cutting ability that I noticed. I basically use my DE razor as a single edge, so side 1 has been getting all the work. I daresay I could go 20 shaves with this, 5 per edge.

Feel free to join in and share your experiences! And don’t worry about the photos. I don’t use photos most of the time either. Mostly because I make lousy photos and I also don’t take the time that much. I envy the brothers that can make those great pictures, light box and all.

Cheers,

Guido

Date05.04.2024
366 daily shaves
096/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Single RingDurable Sharp Titanium (5)Abe’s Brush Works Blutt STF
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (78)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
87/10 (Comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. Early shave with a very efficient razor. Excellent brush. Barely made it to the trains - but arrived as a fresh clean and close shaven gentleman nonetheless.

Blade is still performing. Cannot argue with that. Comfort is still below par, but feels manageable.

Enjoy your shave!

Shave #1
These were the ingredients of my shave

Sharp 7 AM Super Platinum
Parker 98R
Tabac
Aftershave Barberia Toscana

Well! Then I'll join the group and start telling about my adventure with the new SHarp 7 AM Super Platinum.
Today expectation is high and the desire to buy the container of one hundred blades at a great price of 4.99€ still this month and stock up enough if I like them has prevailed.

Obviously the carton of one hundred Sharp 7AM blades when it returns to the normal price of 9.99€ I would not buy them.
I will preface that I have sensitive facial skin, so I prepare my shave with plenty of Prep pre-shave.
Used using Tabac old formula shaving soap with tallow for good protection and Parker 98R razor performing and good quality.
I start my shave and the blade seemed dull, I thought it was singular.

I turned it over and recessed it well immediately after shaving but felt no tugging at least at first.
I ran the razor over my face several times and while shaving it seemed to not cut, however pushing a little bit there was some tugging and I felt some irritation already during the counter shave.
I felt a few more tugs when I reached under my chin.

The tugging was evident during the shave above the upper lip and I even managed to injure myself.
At one point I thought of changing razors but insisted on the Parker 98R though avoiding the depth of cut.
Lots of red dots all over the face, especially under the chin.

The blade I found it very sharp and sharp for me attacks too much but it didn't feel particularly close,not even gentle and delicate as I found the Sharp Stainless.
Definitely sharp, maybe a hair less than the Gillette Wilkinson Sword I found it so sharp in my experience.
I did not find it to be good, it was the worst shave I can remember since I have been using the double-edged razor.
I thought maybe I will have to try it on a very mild razor.
For the moment dismay and disappointment!

I don't want to be mean but I will say that if not the worst certainly one of the worst shaves I can remember.
Summary. Pain everywhere and no BBS bad cutting quality and zero smoothness.
Did I make a mistake buying the blade because it is not for me or was it a failed blade?
I will figure it out next time.

I reserve the right to try them with much milder, tempered razors.
Very negative experience today, in two days this razor blade with Feather Popular.

Last edited:
Shave #1
These were the ingredients of my shave

Sharp 7 AM Super Platinum
Parker 98R
Tabac
Aftershave Barberia Toscana

Well! Then I'll join the group and start telling about my adventure with the new SHarp 7 AM Super Platinum.
Today expectation is high and the desire to buy the container of one hundred blades at a great price of 4.99€ still this month and stock up enough if I like them has prevailed.

Obviously the carton of one hundred Sharp 7AM blades when it returns to the normal price of 9.99€ I would not buy them.
I will preface that I have sensitive facial skin, so I prepare my shave with plenty of Prep pre-shave.
Used using Tabac old formula shaving soap with tallow for good protection and Parker 98R razor performing and good quality.
I start my shave and the blade seemed dull, I thought it was singular.

I turned it over and recessed it well immediately after shaving but felt no tugging at least at first.
I ran the razor over my face several times and while shaving it seemed to not cut, however pushing a little bit there was some tugging and I felt some irritation already during the counter shave.
I felt a few more tugs when I reached under my chin.

The tugging was evident during the shave above the upper lip and I even managed to injure myself.
At one point I thought of changing razors but insisted on the Parker 98R though avoiding the depth of cut.
Lots of red dots all over the face, especially under the chin.

The blade I found it very sharp and sharp for me attacks too much but it didn't feel particularly close,not even gentle and delicate as I found the Sharp Stainless.
Definitely sharp, maybe a hair less than the Gillette Wilkinson Sword I found it so sharp in my experience.
I did not find it to be good, it was the worst shave I can remember since I have been using the double-edged razor.
I thought maybe I will have to try it on a very mild razor.
For the moment dismay and disappointment!

I don't want to be mean but I will say that if not the worst certainly one of the worst shaves I can remember.
Summary. Pain everywhere and no BBS bad cutting quality and zero smoothness.
Did I make a mistake buying the blade because it is not for me or was it a failed blade?
I will figure it out next time.

I reserve the right to try them with much milder, tempered razors.
Very negative experience today, in two days this razor blade with Feather Popular.
Please heal quickly!

I hope not. :( I am wanting to like the 7AMs. They are also sold in half-blades and I want to get a Parker SoloEdge and sort of thought I could rotate between the 7AMs and the half-blade Treet Platinums.
Alex, I don’t think they are nearly as bad as @Pinto90 describes (and it might be the combination with the razor as well). Sharp for sure and it does the job very well in that sense. I do think it lacks in comfort - it is perfectly doable 7/10 for me), but I also have other blades that perform better.

Alex, I don’t think they are nearly as bad as @Pinto90 describes (and it might be the combination with the razor as well). Sharp for sure and it does the job very well in that sense. I do think it lacks in comfort - it is perfectly doable 7/10 for me), but I also have other blades that perform better.
It's certainly will be a fun test, Guido. Looking forward to it. I'm glad we're covering at least two of the Durablades. There's not a lot of discussion on the forum about them, especially relative to other options.

Please heal quickly!
Thank you,sir!
Alex, I don’t think they are nearly as bad as @Pinto90 describes (and it might be the combination with the razor as well). Sharp for sure and it does the job very well in that sense.

Subsequently I thought so, too.
In anger I had forgotten to specify this by blaming a lot on the blade.
The Parker R98 I had not used for several months, it is among the DE razors the one I have absolutely used the least in so many years.

It may be that the razor's fault, perhaps as it were I may have lost my hand a bit with that razor one possible explanation may be this or alternative is failed blade or with defects as can happen.

The fact remains that I did not expect such a crisp and sharp blade,for me Sharp 7 AM certainly has a remarkable sharpness.
The last time I tried a Sharp Stainless was on Yaqi Mellon razor, smooth shave that felt like a gentle caress.
Next time I will try the 7 AM with that razor.

It is very strange, the reviews of the Sharp 7 AM on amazon are definitely positive.
In the Italian forums I have never read any reviews or opinions about any kind of Sharp blade, except some favorable but mediocre or just sufficient comments of Sharp Stainless.
I'm glad that in this forum we can discuss them Sharp Durable,I don't think a blade like Sharp Stainless designed for the Bengali market can perform ,at least for me, much better than other Sharp blades with coatings,designed for Western markets.
I say this because I obviously haven't lost hope yet that all is well with these 7AM Super Platinum blades.

Last edited:
It may be that the razor's fault, perhaps as it were I may have lost my hand a bit with that razor one possible explanation may be this or alternative is failed blade or with defects as can happen.
I wouldn’t necessarily blame the razor or your technique - sometimes two great things on their own are less great together. Happenstance is part of this hobby.

And we should definitely also use the other Durable blade @Balin included. You have obviously been shaving with the Sharp 7AM whereas I have used the Sharp Titanium which is a different blade (from the tuck that is - don’t know if they are the same blade with different packaging).

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom