(details here)
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (Minor redness)5/10 (Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(DFS+++)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. A superb Easter Sunday shave! The pairing of this blade and this razor is phenomenal and makes the OC turn up a notch in performance. Happy Easter everyone!

For extended shave notes click here.

Blade is magnificent and right up my alley. I haven’t binned it but I took it back into storage. This deserves double digits later this year.

Enjoy your Easter Sunday!

Being the patient person that I am, I jumped the gun and went with the Sharp Titanium for today's shave.
1000005382.jpg

I was nicely surprised with a Comfortable BBS shave today in just 2 passes and no touch ups!! 😁 I went back through last years notes, because I remembered not really liking this blade. I had a couple of rough shaves reported last year with my WR1 .67 but ok shaves with my WR2 1.15. This WR1 .74 might be the razor for this blade!! I will keep going with this razor/blade combo!

Hey I get it by now.
Great news is here!
After Easter begins the week when I will read your comments and opinions on the Sharp Titanium and 7 AM.
For over a month now I have been leaning toward these Bengali blades and reading your always lenient and pleasant comments on these beauties I am sure that after the 7 AM little by little you will convince me to buy all the Sharp blades.
Alright and if so I will join the study and evaluation group in this pleasant discussion.

Date01.04.2024
366 daily shaves
092/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette UK Aristocrat SBDurable Sharp Titanium (1)ABW STF XL
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (74)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
8/10 (Redness)5/10 (Sharp)
8.25/10
(DFS++)
6/10 (Harsh)

Notes:

Summary. First official shave for Vintage April. Good shave in terms of results. Just is still out on the blade though. Phenomenal brush.

Based on this first outing I am going with no. Harsh feeling post shave on my neck - and I didn’t have the impression I was rushing or pressing down. It is definitely a sharp blade, but comfort is something that needs to be on par with its sharpness which it isn’t for me currently.

Enjoy your shave!

Shave #1 - Sharp Titanium
Muhle R89
Barbasol

I went with a mild razor knowing the Sharp Titanium is in the sharper category and this being my first time ever using a blade from Durablade. It was a good decision.

I went 1.5 passes with a few clean up strokes here and there and ended up with a DFS, on the verge of BBS. I only feel a small trace of stubble when rubbing with my fingers against the grain in a *few* spots. The Titanium has excellent cutting ability and the results are terrific. However, the blade seems stiff and doesn't give me enough feedback on initial application to skin surfaces. A few times I had the unnerving sensation of nearly cutting myself because I didn't get the feeling that the blade was on my skin so I pressed in more than I should have. Luckily the Muhle's solid safety bar saved me from the worst of my poor technique - I only made a single tiny cut under my left nostril.

In martial arts training, a wooden staff frequently doesn't "come alive" until it has been used for a while. The wood loses stiffness, and you get a different feel when striking and spinning with it. I'm guessing the Titanium covering needs to wear off some as it may be muting the feel too much for my taste. My aftershave splash gave me some minor burning, so clearly I took off more skin than my face wanted.

I'm going to stick with the Muhle for this test. No way I want to use my Fatip Grande with this blade.

Based on this first outing I am going with no. Harsh feeling post shave on my neck - and I didn’t have the impression I was rushing or pressing down. It is definitely a sharp blade, but comfort is something that needs to be on par with its sharpness which it isn’t for me currently.
I had to look back at my notes. My first use of this blade in my milder WR1 .67 was rough. The blade improved in my WR2 1.15 by shave 3 and yesterday it performed well in my WR1 .74 on its first use. Maybe a larger gapped razor will help smooth it out?

Shave 2 with the Sharp Titanium
1000005390.jpg

Today's shave was not as smooth as yesterday's. I hope I am not leading @Guido75 astray by my suggestion of a larger gapped razor. I did end up having a comfortable DFS shave, but the blade did not glide as well as it did yesterday. It could be a soap thing as I changed that up today. I will make a slicker lather tomorrow!

Shave 2 with the Sharp Titanium
View attachment 1821971

Today's shave was not as smooth as yesterday's. I hope I am not leading @Guido75 astray by my suggestion of a larger gapped razor. I did end up having a comfortable DFS shave, but the blade did not glide as well as it did yesterday. It could be a soap thing as I changed that up today. I will make a slicker lather tomorrow!
No it’s ok. I am in vintage mode at the moment so big gaps are relatively few in vintage land. Hmm…might need to switch to the Swing for this one come to think of it. But with this particular blade I think I am too scared!

Date02.04.2024
366 daily shaves
093/366

RazorBladeBrush
Swing SBDurable Sharp Titanium (2)Abe’s Brush Works Big Oak G5C
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (75)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)6/10 (Razor Sharp)
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
7/10 (More comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. Another superb brush and excellent razor for today’s shave. Class act.

The blade behaved better today and I have increased its sharpness score although I could also state that it’s sharp but harsher sharp, so it might be both aspects at play. Much better shave in the Swing. Comfort was slightly up and still much to be desired.

Enjoy your shave!

I'm back shaving to every other day apparently with the Sharp Titanium. I have a bit of stubble when I rub my hand across my face, but it's not worth potentially aggravating my skin. This is different with the Shark Super Chrome and ASCO (but not the Racer) where the shaves were mild enough to warrant daily shaving.

It's probably accurate to say the Sharp Titanium is not the most comfortable blade. My opinion is it's meant to be durable with good cutting power and while I do not know how many shaves this will last me, I believe it could be on the higher range this way. How can it be tamed and made more cushioned and smooth? A good soap lather is the obvious answer, so I'll try that tomorrow instead of canned goo.

Note: The Sharp Titanium is singled-wrapped with no glue or wax seal. I have opened a tuck of the Sharp Hi Platinum (haven't used it yet though) and it is singled-wrapped likewise but is sealed with wax. Odd.

I am on hiatus for the rest of the week. My WR3 arrived so I am sticking to GEM blades this week 😄.
The blade behaved better today and I have increased its sharpness score although I could also state that it’s sharp but harsher sharp, so it might be both aspects at play. Much better shave in the Swing. Comfort was slightly up and still much to be desired.
I am glad it was an improved experience today. lol, well you can only go up from here!
It's probably accurate to say the Sharp Titanium is not the most comfortable blade
I agree, that the blade is not the most comfortable out of the box!

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts

Date02.04.2024
366 daily shaves
093/366

RazorBladeBrush
Swing SBDurable Sharp Titanium (2)Abe’s Brush Works Big Oak G5C
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (75)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)6/10 (Razor Sharp)
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
7/10 (More comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. Another superb brush and excellent razor for today’s shave. Class act.

Enjoy your shave!
How do you like G5C fibers? You and I both like the RR 400. How do they compare? I’ve been eyeing another AP Shave Co brush. Also, what height did your dad set the knot?

How do you like G5C fibers? You and I both like the RR 400. How do they compare?
It is a very likeable knot. More like badger than synthetic in my feel. Nothing at all like the RR400 in that sense. To me completely different brushes. I need to use them a bit more, but based on this one usage the RR400 still rules supreme in my court. I used the Mühle STF the day before. That didn’t change my verdict in that sense either.
Also, what height did your dad set the knot?
I have no idea. But based on Apshaveco’s website the knot is 65mm and I just measured the knot from the handle up which measures 50mm. I think the holes in the handles are about 10mm so my guess would be that he place the knot either down to the bottom or just slightly below the surface. I cannot readily see the bottom of the knot at least. I remember him telling me that he placed all knots with the bar of the knot 1-2mm below the rim of the handle. Based on experience that feels about right in the sense that I don’t think any of these knots have gigantic backbone because very low setting of the knot. No idea if all of what I am saying makes sense. What’s new, Guido?!

Last edited:

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
It is a very likeable knot. More life badger than synthetic in my feel. Nothing at all like the RR400 in that sense. To me completely different brushes. I need to use them a bit more, but based on this one usage the RR400 still rules supreme in my court. I used the Mühle STF the day before. That didn’t change my verdict in that sense either.

I have no idea. But based on Apshaveco’s website the knot is 65mm and I just measured the knot from the handle up which measures 50mm. I think the holes in the handles are about 10mm so my guess would be that he place the knot either down to the bottom or just slightly below the surface. I cannot readily see the bottom of the knot at least. I remember him telling me that he placed all knots with the bar of the knot 1-2mm below the rim of the handle. Based on experience that feels about right in the sense that I don’t think any of these knots have gigantic backbone because very low setting of the knot. No idea if all of what I am saying makes sense. What’s new, Guido?!
Thank you! G5C is on the wish list. You’re such an enabler!

Thank you! G5C is on the wish list. You’re such an enabler!
Andrew makes superb knots and there is definitely a repeat order in my future. Tomorrow is my first try of the SilkSmoke which feels more like the Plissoft only much smaller (which is funny because the knot is supposedly 26mm which is more than the RR400, but it doesn’t look that way). I guess that’s the difference between bulb or fan too. Maybe.

Guido

I try not to be by the way even though I have been seen on the board of Enablers, Inc in the past.

Top Bottom