What's new

Bacon...nature's perfect food

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
As part of a full English breakfast.

Wrapped around a chicken breast, which has been sliced open and filled with a mixture of cream cheese and green pesto.

Between two slices of bread, with a fried egg, one slice of bread having been "buttered" with tomato puree, and the other with brown sauce (not necessarily HP, but similar). If it's bacon only, it's just brown sauce.

Pigs in blankets

Diced, fried, then tossed in fusilli with green pesto and garden peas. Topped with parmesan cheese.

Bacon and leek soup

Bacon and leek pasta sauce

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have to admit that the high saturated fat and salt content, along with the cancer risk takes the shine off bacon for me. I still eat it, but with some unease, and never burnt.

I enjoy bacon every imaginable way. I even chop it finely and add it to the burger mix. My folks say I make the best burgers. If only they knew...
For breakfast, bacon cooked in the oven. In my youth, in a different world, I used to enjoy it cured, boiled or smoked.

Nothing beats bacon and scrambled eggs for breakfast.

When I made the family Sunday breakfast back in the 80s & 90s, I always fried the eggs in the bacon grease and made coffee with a small stovetop percolator. Any leftover grease was kept in the fridge and used with eggs during the week or canned green beans. The kids are gone and the wife eats healthier, so while I have scrambled or fried eggs and toast most mornings, I haven't had some nice thick-sliced bacon in years. Wife says grocery tomorrow, so I put it on the list. I hope I can even find it.

Gonna rain on the "bacon is the greatest" parade here, so my apology. I grew up on a farm in Kansas, and we raised plenty of livestock, always had plenty of beef, pork and chicken to eat. Breakfast was most always eggs and either sausage, ham or bacon as the meat. And that meat, all of it, was better than grocery store stuff these days, so I don't get all pumped up about bacon and haven't for many years. Maybe because bacon seemed to be ever present in my youth. I actually prefer sausage for breakfast, and am puzzled why so many are GaGa about bacon, in fact I find it comical. I eat bacon maybe once a week for breakfast, on the occassional BLT, but never on a cheeseburger, or wrapped around a nice steak or chicken breast. This bacon craze of the last decade or so will pass. And I have likely eaten more bacon than any member of BadgerandBlade. Trust me.

Like, which one do you prefer? Cured, boiled or smoked?
I've smoked pork belly a few times and its turned out very well. Even cold is quite tasty.

5bf.jpg

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Now, can we get back and talk some more about bacon?
Like, which one do you prefer? Cured, boiled or smoked?
Latin, huh...opinions are subjective, neither right or wrong, if what little I learned in that worthless class in school remains with me. For what it's worth, smoked. I left that out of my remarks about bacon preference. I sure hope all the bacon lovers on this site are supporting the struggling pork producers of our country. They can't keep losing money or "trading dollars", as we country people say, for a long period of time. Though our bacon consumption isn't like it used to be at our place, the missus and I still enjoy our chops, ribs, pulled pork, ham and sausage. Nuff said.

Bacon is truly amazing. I'll agree with that part. I love my bacon crispy in the morning with some eggs over easy, fruit and a nice cup or two of caffe au lait. I also love dates stuffed with cabrales cheese, wrapped with bacon and then drizzled with honey. Out of this world. But not quite perfect. To be the perfect food they would also have to be healthy.

Top Bottom