What's new

Bacon...nature's perfect food

Someone alluded to it here
The only time that sausage gets the nod over bacon is if breakfast involves syrup.

I would posit the reason you think that, is you have probably not had English (UK) breakfast sausages.. That proper English breakfast is something to behold (w/ a beer ;))

Avi

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I like bacon, but I don't get all worked up over it. As mentioned, so much of it is thin overly salted, and of relatively poor quality. The good stuff can be fantastic, but that's almost covered up by the subpar stuff.

Combine that with the bacon madness, and it's like a song or jingle that was fun at first but now drives you crazy because it's everywhere.

When I do go get bacon, I go get the good stuff. One of these days, I might make my own. That's the way to go about it.

Attachments

• 814B0D0B-1E85-4469-ABB1-ED6249955626.jpeg
    814B0D0B-1E85-4469-ABB1-ED6249955626.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 4
Someone alluded to it here

I would posit the reason you think that, is you have probably not had English (UK) breakfast sausages.. That proper English breakfast is something to behold (w/ a beer ;))

Avi

Can you give us boobs from the US some sense of what English breakfast sausages are as compared to the kind of sausages I am familiar with for breakfast which tend to be on the small and thin side. So I'm thinking of something like this is typical in the US, or at least the East Coast of the US.

image.png

I've also seen sausage patties. I'm open to being educated. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day so if there is something I'm missing, I need to know what it is. :001_unsur

Reactions: Avi
Can you give us boobs from the US some sense of what English breakfast sausages are as compared to the kind of sausages I am familiar with for breakfast which tend to be on the small and thin side. So I'm thinking of something like this is typical in the US, or at least the East Coast of the US.

View attachment 1106307

I've also seen sausage patties. I'm open to being educated. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day so if there is something I'm missing, I need to know what it is. :001_unsur

Take a look at this picture:

I was born in the U.K. but live in Pa, no bangers for me:(

( I have never tried sausage making so am not sure of the recipe so this is more for the picture )

regards
avi

I may have to give them a try. I won't make them myself obviously but will see if I can find them in a store near me. I'm in NJ just 30 minutes from Manhattan so I'm guessing I won't have to search too far to find them. Cumberland sausage, two eggs over easy, multi grain toast with some Olivio (gotta stay away from cholesteral and there will be plenty in the sausage), some OJ and my usual two mugs of caffe au lait.

Ok. There is a Pork Store near me that has "British Bangers". The description says "original recipe from England, ginger, sage, nutmeg, bread crumbs. Is this what I'm looking for?

I may have to give them a try. I won't make them myself obviously but will see if I can find them in a store near me. I'm in NJ just 30 minutes from Manhattan so I'm guessing I won't have to search too far to find them. Cumberland sausage, two eggs over easy, multi grain toast with some Olivio (gotta stay away from cholesteral and there will be plenty in the sausage), some OJ and my usual two mugs of caffe au lait.

Stay safe btw, I am losing track of people with / recovering from / dying from Covid near you ( we are north of philly but close to lambertville etc )

We all deserve saturated fat sausages and beer for breakfast every day of the week when this is over !

regards
avi

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Ok. There is a Pork Store near me that has "British Bangers". The description says "original recipe from England, ginger, sage, nutmeg, bread crumbs. Is this what I'm looking for?

If it says British bangers, go for it. The seasonings vary wildly. Asking what's in a sausage, is like asking what's on a pizza, but try to get Cumberland and Lincolnshire, and that'll give you a good idea what we have over here.

Stay safe btw, I am losing track of people with / recovering from / dying from Covid near you ( we are north of philly but close to lambertville etc )

We all deserve saturated fat sausages and beer for breakfast every day of the week when this is over !

regards
avi

I hear you Avi. I've been staying home for the most part. My wife is just now re-opening her optometry office. She is following CDC and AOA protocols exactly. Masks, gloves, plastic face shields and barriers at the front desk. I am not working at the moment so I haven't been going out for anything other than to do some shopping for food and riding my bike for exercise. Haven't been hanging with any of our neighbors even though we have a pretty tight group here. Plus some of them are hanging out so I'm not going to take the chance. If they think less of me because of it, so be it. I don't care. My health and the health of my family comes first. As for beer for breakfast, that would be a no for me. I don't look at beer as a breakfast food. That's just me. But sausages? Oh yeah.

I hear you Avi. I've been staying home for the most part. My wife is just now re-opening her optometry office. She is following CDC and AOA protocols exactly. Masks, gloves, plastic face shields and barriers at the front desk. I am not working at the moment so I haven't been going out for anything other than to do some shopping for food and riding my bike for exercise. Haven't been hanging with any of our neighbors even though we have a pretty tight group here. Plus some of them are hanging out so I'm not going to take the chance. If they think less of me because of it, so be it. I don't care. My health and the health of my family comes first. As for beer for breakfast, that would be a no for me. I don't look at beer as a breakfast food. That's just me. But sausages? Oh yeah.

We are the same, with a 2 yr old and 2 month old there is nothing more important. The beer for breakfast comment is a joke btw. As they might put it, it’s quite fun to wind up our english counterparts with their own stereotypes ;) ( it’s a weird thing at the U.K. airports for some reason as well )

regards
avi

We are the same, with a 2 yr old and 2 month old there is nothing more important. The beer for breakfast comment is a joke btw. As they might put it, it’s quite fun to wind up our english counterparts with their own stereotypes ;) ( it’s a weird thing at the U.K. airports for some reason as well )

regards
avi

I have been to London and the surrounding environs twice. Once with just my wife and once the two of us with our son several years ago. During our first visit I was had heard about hand drawn ale and had tried a few at a bar in NYC called The Ginger Man. The place is amazing with so many beers on tap plus two or three hand drawn ales as well. So, when we were there for that first trip I was intent on finding myself some good hand drawn ale. We went into a London pub, found an open booth and I went to the bar to ask what kinds of hand drawn ale they had. He gave me a couple options and I picked one and he was off pouring the two ales. While I'm waiting I scanned the bar and I was shocked at what I saw. Everyone was drinking, get ready for it........Budwieser in the aluminum bottles. And I mean everyone. So I said to the bartender that obviously we are from the states and thought their own beers and ales would be quite popular with the locals. Why are they all drinking Budweiser? He said, "Because they like it." A pretty obvious answer but surprising nonetheless. Anyway, not sure what my point here is. I'm a big fan of Guinness, Newcastle Brown, Old Speckled Hen and the different offerings from Samuel Smith. I like dark heavy beers and much prefer drinking a couple of those with higher alcohol content than drinking a six or two of Bud. For me, more is not better. Less is more. Anyway. I'm going to call the Pork Store and go pick up some sampling of the British Bangers and get back with my thoughts.

American breakfast sausages are much sweeter than the Irish/English breakfast sausage. It’s fairly common to have said sausages for dinner or evening meal, with mashed potatoes, gravyetc.
They’re much plumper, generally speaking but the size can vary.

Top Bottom