What's new

B&B Membership Does Change Over Time, Doesn't It?

I've been on this website for about 11 years. I've learned a lot that's for sure. This website has spurred me on to doing a ton of internet "research" myself. I've loved the debates, "lively" discussions, and the arcane details that somehow seem to get pulled up out of nowhere. Lately, I've noticed that some of my "old reliables" are not around much. Like romsitsa, from Hungary. Where'd he go, I wonder? Simply no longer here although he was posting recently. And of course old reliables ("experts" in my eyes) like Jake and Northstonehill are still around but keeping very low profiles which is obviously their choice. I guess I just miss the old days, am taking note of the constant passing of time, and wanted to express my appreciation for all that this website and its interesting membership has given to me. So, thanks all!
As with most forms in general they peter out after a while then a new group will come in and the cycle repeats. This is due in part on several factors. There really is only so much that can be said about any given topic. After a while its just regurgitating the same stuff over and over again. So people drop out. It’s also evident in how some people post in these type of forums some of their writings are all froofroo of each step what ever they are writing about just to fill in space. Other posts in forums just get boring and drop off. Eventually people just get bored and move on to live in reality. I check in from time to time but for the most part it’s shaving not a lot of technical stuff to it. It’s fun to see others opinions and what might be better after one settles in most is mundane.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I don't understand all the angst over the ads.

Politely sir, I think you assume too much of my honest inquiry. Angst? Not at all. Honest ignorance? Definitely a possibility. :)

It's unrealistic to assume the owners could continue to fund B&B out of their pocket and the limited number of contributors.

But it’s not unrealistic to just not know or understand how this site or the internet works is it?

If this was a matter of guilty conscience or sheer stubborn will, which I definitely have been guilty of in my lifetime. But haven’t we all been guilty of this on occasion? As I think it comes as a package deal with the rest of our human nature?

Maybe it’s just simply my turn? I dunno?

I do know, I can definitely rule out guilty conscience, because I know myself way much better than you do and trust me, my guilty conscience would have left it strictly in PM’s. :)

For me, I was happy to become a contributor. I get a better user experience and the owners get some coin to help run the site. That's a win-win.

One day, I hope to grow up and be just like you. :)

Think of the cost in smaller chunks. How many times a week do you log into B&B? 10? That's $2.50 p/login. At those prices your membership pays for itself in a couple of weeks.

This sounds like a very reasonable and helpful way in seeing it. Thank you sir.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Well sir, While I can see gaining your sympathy would be a good thing right along with doing my part in financially supporting this great forum. Hence my post and questions. :)
I didn't mean that as any kind of attack on anyone by the way, just that we get so many complaints about ads (which we cannot do a darned thing about) despite people being told numerous times that they can either get an ad blocker or become a contributor.
SO, I really don't understand why some keep on keeping on, and keep on complaining (some much more than others of course) without taking any steps to resolving the issue they complain about.
There's absolutely nothing we can do. Those folks need to do something - because the complaining does nothing to resolve their problem.
If they spent the time they use to complain towards searching for a decent ad blocker, we'd all be happier.

OkieStubble

As with most forms in general they peter out after a while then a new group will come in and the cycle repeats. This is due in part on several factors. There really is only so much that can be said about any given topic. After a while its just regurgitating the same stuff over and over again. So people drop out. It’s also evident in how some people post in these type of forums some of their writings are all froofroo of each step what ever they are writing about just to fill in space. Other posts in forums just get boring and drop off. Eventually people just get bored and move on to live in reality. I check in from time to time but for the most part it’s shaving not a lot of technical stuff to it. It’s fun to see others opinions and what might be better after one settles in most is mundane.

I can agree and see some of your points. But I have been here a long time. And it’s definitely the relationships, friendships and camaraderie that makes being a contributor more than worth it. :)

OkieStubble

I didn't mean that as any kind of attack on anyone by the way, just that we get so many complaints about ads (which we cannot do a darned thing about) despite people being told numerous times that they can either get an ad blocker or become a contributor.
SO, I really don't understand why some keep on keeping on, and keep on complaining (some much more than others of course) without taking any steps to resolving the issue they complain about.
There's absolutely nothing we can do. Those folks need to do something - because the complaining does nothing to resolve their problem.
If they spent the time they use to complain towards searching for a decent ad blocker, we'd all be happier.

I understand perfectly sir. I like and respect you too much, to ever think about any attack…. :)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks again big guy.
My pleasure. I tend to be very straight to the point, and often that is interpreted as curt or cruel, when no such emotion is behind my manner. My apologies if I come across that way.

Question: what was the cost of your black contributor tag and is that a one time, one and done type of thing?
It's a one and done deal. Lifetime Contributor. Not cheap by any means, but I have received SO MUCH from this forum, I felt I needed to do it!

OkieStubble

My pleasure. I tend to be very straight to the point, and often that is interpreted as curt or cruel, when no such emotion is behind my manner. My apologies if I come across that way.

No apologies necessary!

I’m afraid we are very much alike my friend. Which makes me sad; as I don’t want to look as mean as you do…. ;)

It's a one and done deal. Lifetime Contributor. Not cheap by any means, but I have received SO MUCH from this forum, I felt I needed to do it!

I think you convince me to become a Christian!

-King Agrippa. ;)

Last edited:
Salty_Shaver says:

"...for the most part it’s shaving not a lot of technical stuff to it....after one settles in most is mundane."

Could be true.

On the other hand, as a collector of vintage DE safety razors, I'm always interested to see old razors that I haven't seen before, particularly non-Gillettes. They're usually presented by a buyer who's thrilled with their "new score", particularly if they found it "in the wild" and grabbed it cheap! These vintage razors just keep on coming in! Although I must say that the pace of "new old ones" that I haven't see before has definitely slowed down. I take this as a sign of my "increased knowledge on the subject"...

I've been on this website for about 11 years. I've learned a lot that's for sure. This website has spurred me on to doing a ton of internet "research" myself. I've loved the debates, "lively" discussions, and the arcane details that somehow seem to get pulled up out of nowhere. Lately, I've noticed that some of my "old reliables" are not around much. Like romsitsa, from Hungary. Where'd he go, I wonder? Simply no longer here although he was posting recently. And of course old reliables ("experts" in my eyes) like Jake and Northstonehill are still around but keeping very low profiles which is obviously their choice. I guess I just miss the old days, am taking note of the constant passing of time, and wanted to express my appreciation for all that this website and its interesting membership has given to me. So, thanks all!

I’ve come here for about 17 years.

In the beginning, I soaked up information like a sponge, but soon I learned to be more selective.
It’s the Internet after all, where people are free to post all sorts of rubbish, and it pays to apply the Pareto Principle (a.k.a. 80/20 rule)* before making up one’s mind.

Shortly after the COVID pandemic, I noticed that the three shaving forums that I visit regularly had grown much quieter. Two of them more noticeably so than this one.

It could be that people found that they had spent too much time on forums during the pandemic and lost interest, or that after lapping up all useful information they had reached a point where they found less and less to learn and adopt.
I say this because I am convinced that a sizeable number of people come to shaving forums just to get started, develop their technique, and then move on.

B.

* The Pareto Principle (a.k.a. 80/20 Rule)
States that “80% of consequences come from 20% of causes”,
but it has many more uses like:
- 80% of the excellent ideas come from 20% of the posters.
- 80% of the nonsense comes from 20% of the posters.
- 80% just repeat and only 20% have innovative ideas.
- 80% of the pictures are posted for the sake of posting, 20% of the pictures add something to the subject. :001_cool: **
or one of my favourites:
- 80% of the reviews are useful, 20% (the 10 best and 10 worst percent) should be ignored.
(The latter one is particularly useful when making up one’s mind if one should try something new, or not.)

Feel free to create your own, like: 80% of what Brutus writes is hare-brained, only 20% makes any sense. :pipe:

** also known as “gratuitous waste of bandwidth” 😉

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Like everything else. People and things come and go. What I like about forums is that they can focus on specific subjects.

The input comes from all over the world. This provided an enriching experience this is without parallel.

When I want to gather information about products, I turn to forums for an abundant and diversied source of information.

There are always those with more experience, as there are those with less.

My main passion is audio. Becoming a member of an Audio Forum has led to enriching my audio experiences and adventurers, same as here.

It's not about right and wrong, it's entirely perspective based and it's about information. While we come and go, we can leave our footprints behind for others to read.

When I post to forums, I do so with the hope of providing my experiences and perspectives to others who may be reading the forums in the future.

Very nicely said! :)

Navigating the forums have become next to impossible/unreadable with the ads that take forever to load and obscure content.

After 8 years I've almost had it.

Not paying for membership, I watch my $.
Check your adblocker. I found that mine updated in the background and stopped working until I opened the settings and ok’d the list of changes. A dumb design decision.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think you convince me to become a Christian!

-King Agrippa. ;)

Be sure to check out the Contributor only forum

And the Contributor only BST

As a Contributor you also have access to the Brown Leaf Stock Exchange where folks trade and PIF tobacco products such as cigars and pipe tobacco.

I don't understand all the angst over the ads. It's unrealistic to assume the owners could continue to fund B&B out of their pocket and the limited number of contributors. For me, I was happy to become a contributor. I get a better user experience and the owners get some coin to help run the site. That's a win-win.

Think of the cost in smaller chunks. How many times a week do you log into B&B? 10? That's $2.50 p/login. At those prices your membership pays for itself in a couple of weeks.
I have no problems with ads that are unobtrusive. I would not use adblocker if the ads were just hyperlinks like in the old Google days, or neatly fit between posts and didn't hog memory.

I have a huge problem with ads that actively block content and slow down browsing to a halt. I will actually go out of my way to avoid the product they advertise, if I remember it later.

As to the membership fee - once it becomes mandatory, it's no longer a voluntary show of support, it's a subscription. And as any subscription, it needs to present a value proposition, which in my subjective view requires more than just allowing users to access other users' posts.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Eventually people just get bored and move on to live in reality. I check in from time to time but for the most part it’s shaving not a lot of technical stuff to it. It’s fun to see others opinions and what might be better after one settles in most is mundane.

Kind of felt the same way at first, but...
There are SO MANY non-shaving related areas here that are extremely active that no matter what your interests are, there are sure to be discussions about something that interests you. I found my way into many other lifestyle areas once my shave was settled. I post most often in Non-Shaving related areas now.

And as any subscription, it needs to present a value proposition, which in my subjective view requires more than just allowing users to access other users' posts.
There are specific benefits to being a Contributor, besides ad removal. Contributors have access to The Contributor forum, and another Contributor BST that doesn't have the posting limits of the regular BST, they also have access to the stock exchange in the Brown Leaf where tobacco is traded and PIF'd. There is Contributor only swag available from time to time.
Aside from that, questions, discussions and decisions on site policy is rolled out in the Contributor forum, and Contributors have a much stronger position on policy and site changes/additions.
Whether those items are sufficient to "make it worth it" is up to each individual, and it's not wildly advertised as a means to get people roped in to contributing. The perks are a "Thank you" for becoming a Contributor, not an incentive to entice someone.

Top Bottom