What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I am somewhat relieved to hear that the Timeless head didn't end up weighing 53g, but am sorry that you spent extra money on more pieces (potentially) unnecessarily. The thing with balance is that it's dynamic, not stationary; you need to figure where your hand is and what kind of stroke you are making at some point when you are not trying to force things. I have a couple razors that I discovered, when I was journalling about which muscles I use, that I wasn't using the same way as the others nor how I thought I was. It's entirely possible that, even with the same handle, you are doing something slightly different and that is affecting your perception of balance. There you go, a free head ache to offset the pain you are going through! 😆

Edit to add: even with all the razor heads against your face with the blade just contacting, not at the same time hopefully, the angle of the handle can vary between them. This can affect how heavy the head feels in my experience. It may not even be at the beginning of the stroke actually, it might be the follow through... 🤔
Yeah... I'm was already getting great shave already with the Ti I had... and now will have again... but I will try all the combinations to figure out the perfect setup for me... The full SS head also gives me great results... I did pay attention to the angle of the sweet spot and am duplicating it in my problem areas as you suggested so long ago now.. It makes a Huge difference and I thank you every time I tackle my problem areas.. LOL.. and I am being serious, for once.... I say to myself... Follow Aaron's advice.. and when I do... it's easier to get my chin and surrounding areas smooth more easily.

Yeah... I'm was already getting great shave already with the Ti I had... and now will have again... but I will try all the combinations to figure out the perfect setup for me... The full SS head also gives me great results... I did pay attention to the angle of the sweet spot and am duplicating it in my problem areas as you suggested so long ago now.. It makes a Huge difference and I thank you every time I tackle my problem areas.. LOL.. and I am being serious, for once.... I say to myself... Follow Aaron's advice.. and when I do... it's easier to get my chin and surrounding areas smooth more easily.
I hope you feel better soon; I somehow forgot about this health issue of yours, but remembered as soon as you mentioned it. I am sure not working and spending money are two things you try not to do together anymore. I would probably go with the titanium cap and stainless baseplate partly, if I had all the parts to play with, because I like the feel of titanium, but also because it would technically put the balance near perfect for me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I hope you feel better soon; I somehow forgot about this health issue of yours, but remembered as soon as you mentioned it. I am sure not working and spending money are two things you try not to do together anymore. I would probably go with the titanium cap and stainless baseplate partly, if I had all the parts to play with, because I like the feel of titanium, but also because it would technically put the balance near perfect for me.
Based on today's findings, and discovering the SS base plate isn't the weight on the Timeless website, I think that might be the combination I favor. I'll keep you posted as I shave with the various head configurations.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I hope your stone passes soon. I can’t imagine what that’s like but people I know say it’s terrible. 😞
I think it's moving along.... The last time this happened, it wasn't one big stone... I passed 3 smaller ones at once.. I think they were stacked up in my ureter.... Just a guess... And I passed two more in just a few more days. As I said... I'm gifted at producing them.

I think it's moving along.... The last time this happened, it wasn't one big stone... I passed 3 smaller ones at once.. I think they were stacked up in my ureter.... Just a guess... And I passed two more in just a few more days. As I said... I'm gifted at producing them.
I hope it passes soon. My Dad used to get them also. He would save them by peeing though an old nylon, lol he was a character!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

You nailed it bro, its all about the weight balance distribution, to help you to achieve shaving success. Finding that balance is key, which is why I like folks like Shane at Blackland, because he seems to understand that. If I were to remove the brass insert on my Osprey razor, the weight would suddenly become hugely unbalanced, putting far too much pressure on the head against your skin, making the handle light, and therefor unwieldy. So finding that balance is key.

Tools are always the same way, no matter what kind of tool it is. I just got a new string trimmer, and it puts most of its weight distribution on the cutting head, which helps to keep the cutting head down, and I'm carrying less weight on my right arm, therefor saving my back, and overall improving efficiency. I've used machines that would throw your back out, if it weren't for a harness apparatus. But my new machines ability to cut could, while keeping overall weight low, makes it easier to do my work.

@APBinNCA nailing it, with all of his posts these days. 🎯

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
As George Harrison said...

"All Things Must Pass" 🙏

602557090406.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Mondays are always the prep time for the Tuesday trip down to help out with Mila.... If I start early, I can take as much time as I want... but if I get busy or something else is going on and I start late, I try to choose an easier shave.

That's what I did an hour or so ago. I chose the SS La Faulx Classic because I knew it would be a Zen shave from the beginning and wouldn't require giant leaps of expertise. It was definitely a nice break from working through all the Timeless 0.68OC options. I'll pick that up later this week when all the parts have arrived. It looks like everything will be here by Wednesday when we get back. So perhaps I'll try something new on my regularly scheduled Thursday evening shave....

The other gear is pretty much the same.

Stirling Unscented pre-shave, melted into on of the Captain's Soap Lockers
Canada Shaving soap, lathered in a CaYuen Copper Ore bowl
SV Cocobolo handle brush with the gold crown
The SS La Faulx with a new Kai Titan Mild "Pink" AC blade
LEA alum deodorant stick
Metro Gel
Hyaluronic acid serum
Neutrogena Hydro Boost, still on the old formula at this point.

Thank you all again for your well wishes with this kidney stone... No pain today... just waiting for them to exit.

Glad to hear things are turning in the right direction (no pun intended). I can only imagine anything bigger than liquid will cause friction and pain. Prayers to you for a quick resolve.

Cheers,

Guido

And enjoy your time with Mia! Very important time. My grandad passed away before I had the chance to really sit down with him. I was too young at the time. So I feel blessed and grateful that my children are capable of really talking and interacting with them.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
My grandad passed away before I had the chance to really sit down with him. I was too young at the time. So I feel blessed and grateful that my children are capable of really talking and interacting with them.
When I was a kid, my grandfather (my mother's father) lived with us for a while. This was back in the '80s. I have very fond memories of those days.

I just weighed all my SS razor heads.... I'm a bit surprised.... The actual weight for the Timeless SS 0.68OC is 40.1g... not the whapping 53.1g based on the Timeless website.
Sorry to take so long on this. I said I'd weigh mine a few days ago and forgot till today!
Anyways, mine weighs even less than yours Kim: 38.0 grams!
Even farther from the 53.1 that they advertise on the website! I'm basing it on mine which is smooth top cap and
open comb base plate (both in polished finish).

I don't remember if you have the same smooth top cap as me or not and whether yours is polished or not? Smooth or scalloped? Polished or not polished?
From what I read the scalloped one weighs less!
And I'm guessing that a polished finish can change the weight as well.
Another thing I just thought about:
Did you buy it from the scratch and dent section or not? I did!
I'm wondering if an odd weight after production might not make the cut for first rate?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Sorry to take so long on this. I said I'd weigh mine a few days ago and forgot till today!
Anyways, mine weighs even less than yours Kim: 38.0 grams!
Even farther from the 53.1 that they advertise on the website! I'm basing it on mine which is smooth top cap and
open comb base plate (both in polished finish).

I don't remember if you have the same smooth top cap as me or not and whether yours is polished or not? Smooth or scalloped? Polished or not polished?
From what I read the scalloped one weighs less!
And I'm guessing that a polished finish can change the weight as well.
Another thing I just thought about:
Did you buy it from the scratch and dent section or not? I did!
I'm wondering if an odd weight after production might not make the cut for first rate?
I have mine all weighed out and have both setup for tomorrow night after work. Just holding them in my hand, I think I prefer the lighter SS cap and Ti base plate, but I’ll alternate between them.

All polished and the caps are scalloped. The SS parts are scratch and dent. The Ti parts are regular priced.

All polished and the caps are scalloped. The SS parts are scratch and dent. The Ti parts are regular priced.
So mine are also polished but have smooth caps. Yours are scalloped but weighs more than mine when scalloped is advertised as lighter. Weird!
I'm gonna go with the scratch and dent theory or maybe Timeless just advertises a probable weight?
I doubt the latter though! From what I've read, Timeless uses some amazing equipment in their shop
where things should always be equal. But I guess things can go South sometimes on some pieces and the
hand finishing part can also throw things off.

Top Bottom