What's new

B&B Membership Does Change Over Time, Doesn't It?

It does change. I initially joined somewhere around 2005-2006 as a 20 year old college student who was tired of getting ingrowns from a Gillette Mach 3. I learned a bunch and switched to DE razors but life soon got busy and I lost touch with the forum.

By the time I came back in roughly 2019 I had lost access to the email I had initially used to sign up and had to create an entirely new account.

I've always appreciated the patience and generosity of the members here. I've been a member of other forums that I left because of the hostility shown to someone with a different point of view. That just doesn't happen here and I'm grateful to be part of such a good community.

@cranewarrior said it far better than I ever could. His sentiment should be enshrined in the B&B constitution, if such a document exists.

I wish I was in the known 10 years ago - my wallet might think otherwise. This is my second year in B&B but I can say it has profoundly changed my (outlook on) life. The gentlemanly discourse (@cranewarrior - thanks for your compliments! - sensei ni rei), the knowledge, the sharing and caring are second to none. RAD roared during my initial year and a half and brushes have proliferated as well. But what s ride it has been so far! I certainly plan to post in this thread again 10 years from now!

Thank you all!!

Guido

We didn't do anything. The ads have a rotate in and rotate out cycle.
Today we were busy and didn’t have time to cook. We went out to eat and spent 25.00 for the two of us, which is what a basic membership costs.

I have spent quite a bit of time on the forum lately and not having those ads is well worth it. I don’t know individuals financial situations here, but 25.00 is a relatively small amount to consider.

Sure there are some members that are more newbie-friendly than others, but quite honestly, this is BY FAR the most mature, generous, and noble-minded internet forum I have ever participated on. This includes various engineering or martial arts groups by the way. There's very little pettiness or bickering here, and I find that marvelous...

The nice thing about forums is they last if the operators keep it running. Sure there are members that have faded away like the people before me have at my dojo, but their writings are still remaining. And so is a piece of their thoughts, their loves, and their personalities. Perhaps they have passed on or found other interests, but newbies like me can still read their opinions and occasionally learn a bit of technique or at the very least be entertained by them. That's all you can really ask for.

Like everything else. People and things come and go. What I like about forums is that they can focus on specific subjects.

The input comes from all over the world. This provided an enriching experience this is without parallel.

When I want to gather information about products, I turn to forums for an abundant and diversied source of information.

There are always those with more experience, as there are those with less.

My main passion is audio. Becoming a member of an Audio Forum has led to enriching my audio experiences and adventurers, same as here.

It's not about right and wrong, it's entirely perspective based and it's about information. While we come and go, we can leave our footprints behind for others to read.

When I post to forums, I do so with the hope of providing my experiences and perspectives to others who may be reading the forums in the future.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Almost there with you brother Steve. There is like 2-3 forums I enjoy reading and posting to, however beside the adds there is a new thing that covers the threads called Swarmify . I tried researching ways to get rid of it but I'm getting tired wasting time doing so. As a side note I believe this is not part of B&B website.

Swarmify is definitely blocking most of the B&B pages from being seen and making it really inconvenient to navigate around and participate in the forum. I understand the importance for the powers that be to keep this great place funded and running; and the necessity for membership to help with that funding.

Maybe a different approach other than 'voluntary donations and membership dues' in order to consistently raise funds is in order? Maybe instead, a 'required membership fee' for the privilege of forum access would be a better idea?

I dunno? I am a simple man and am not the great forward thinker of seeing the bigger picture or business plan? And while I love this place and mean no disrespect or intended bad will, I think for me personally? If I had to choose between paying a required membership for forum privileges, versus paying for a membership in order to escape the intense amount of ads that are constantly blocking the pages I want to view but make me kinda feel like I'm paying extortion money to make something bad go away?

I would definitely, just simply choose paying for the forum privilege which makes it feel more like I'm paying for something good I want to remain apart of, instead of feeling coerced to get rid of something bad, just in order to stay apart of something I love.

Will this respectfully written post of mine; from an honest inquiring heart, be considered a violation? I have no earthly idea.
Nevertheless, someone having the courage to speak on it is absolutely needed and if the powers that be are willing to listen? I dunno? But if they are and this post remains and is responded to, without a deletion or a banning of my privileges?

Then that is enough proof right there, that this place is where I want to spend my contribution dollars in order to stay apart of.

:)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Swarmify is definitely blocking most of the B&B pages from being seen and making it really inconvenient to navigate around and participate in the forum. I understand the importance for the powers that be to keep this great place funded and running; and the necessity for membership to help with that funding.

Maybe a different approach other than 'voluntary donations and membership dues' in order to consistently raise funds is in order? Maybe instead, a 'required membership fee' for the privilege of forum access would be a better idea?

I dunno? I am a simple man and am not the great forward thinker of seeing the bigger picture or business plan? And while I love this place and mean no disrespect or intended bad will, I think for me personally? If I had to choose between paying a required membership for forum privileges, versus paying for a membership in order to escape the intense amount of ads that are constantly blocking the pages I want to view but make me kinda feel like I'm paying extortion money to make something bad go away?

I would definitely, just simply choose paying for the forum privilege which makes it feel more like I'm paying for something good I want to remain apart of, instead of feeling coerced to get rid of something bad, just in order to stay apart of something I love.

Will this respectfully written post of mine; from an honest inquiring heart, be considered a violation? I have no earthly idea.
Nevertheless, someone having the courage to speak on it is absolutely needed and if the powers that be are willing to listen? I dunno? But if they are and this post remains and is responded to, without a deletion or a banning of my privileges?

Then that is enough proof right there, that this place is where I want to spend my contribution dollars in order to stay apart of.

The owners want to keep the forum online, they started it way back when and it's like a child to them.
In the beginning, it was a lot of money out of pocket to get and keep it up and running.
As with your kids, over time it is appropriate to expect that they will become self supporting.
They do not want this to be a mandatory fee site.
Information is freely shared.
But software, IT personnel, licensing, and hardware sustainability is a cost.
They have chosen to fund this by contributor donations on a voluntary basis.
This has not been enough in the rising cost age we live in. That's why ads were implemented.
One can do whatever mental gymnastics are required to feel better about whether one should contribute or not, but in the end it comes down to "does the membership feel there is value in coming here?"
If yes - then an effort must be made by members to get full, unfettered access.
Whether that effort is to become a contributor, or to invest their time and work in finding a suitable ad blocker, is entirely up to each individual member.
The site isn't free. The fee for uninterrupted access can be paid in two ways: Become a Contributor or support the site by being the target audience for ads.
Using the site without ads can be accomplished in two ways: Become a Contributor, or utilize a suitable ad blocker.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'll add this:
I am deeply grateful and say thank you to those who choose to continue to contribute to help keep the forum online.
I understand and accept that there are those who choose to utilize ad blocking technology.
I don't understand and have little sympathy for people who actively choose to do neither.

I don't understand all the angst over the ads. It's unrealistic to assume the owners could continue to fund B&B out of their pocket and the limited number of contributors. For me, I was happy to become a contributor. I get a better user experience and the owners get some coin to help run the site. That's a win-win.

Think of the cost in smaller chunks. How many times a week do you log into B&B? 10? That's $2.50 p/login. At those prices your membership pays for itself in a couple of weeks.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I'll add this:
I am deeply grateful and say thank you to those who choose to continue to contribute to help keep the forum online.
I understand and accept that there are those who choose to utilize ad blocking technology.
I don't understand and have little sympathy for people who actively choose to do neither.
Thanks for all you do here at B & B, Phil.

Wishing you a happy Easter, sir.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't understand all the angst over the ads. It's unrealistic to assume the owners could continue to fund B&B out of their pocket and the limited number of contributors. For me, I was happy to become a contributor. I get a better user experience and the owners get some coin to help run the site. That's a win-win.

Think of the cost in smaller chunks. How many times a week do you log into B&B? 10? That's $2.50 p/login. At those prices your membership pays for itself in a couple of weeks.
A contributor tag works out to less than 7 cents a day, or less than 50 cents a week.
Is B&B worth 50 cents a week to you or not?
That's the bottom line.

We didn't do anything. The ads have a rotate in and rotate out cycle
I'll add this:
With todays infiltration of no gooders trying to ruin nice websites I thought maybe swarmify was one of those only because it didn't appear like the regular ads I see on this site. Does B&B control who or what advertises on the site, just asking because I have no clue how forums are created.

OkieStubble

The owners want to keep the forum online, they started it way back when and it's like a child to them.
In the beginning, it was a lot of money out of pocket to get and keep it up and running.
As with your kids, over time it is appropriate to expect that they will become self supporting.
They do not want this to be a mandatory fee site.
Information is freely shared.
But software, IT personnel, licensing, and hardware sustainability is a cost.
They have chosen to fund this by contributor donations on a voluntary basis.
This has not been enough in the rising cost age we live in. That's why ads were implemented.
One can do whatever mental gymnastics are required to feel better about whether one should contribute or not, but in the end it comes down to "does the membership feel there is value in coming here?"
If yes - then an effort must be made by members to get full, unfettered access.
Whether that effort is to become a contributor, or to invest their time and work in finding a suitable ad blocker, is entirely up to each individual member.
The site isn't free. The fee for uninterrupted access can be paid in two ways: Become a Contributor or support the site by being the target audience for ads.
Using the site without ads can be accomplished in two ways: Become a Contributor, or utilize a suitable ad blocker.

Thank you for this very clear and concise explanation big guy. Very much appreciated.

I do believe I asked this question to you once before in past PM, but this post of yours is much more clear and explanatory.

I don’t think it was or is ‘mental gymnastics’ for the reason for my inquiry; probably more curious naivety than anything else. I do confess guilt of having an inquisitive nature and mind and do not mind the occasional ‘slap in the face’ in order to be made aware, if done with good taste and caring. ;)

Thanks again big guy.

Question: what was the cost of your black contributor tag and is that a one time, one and done type of thing?

OkieStubble

I'll add this:

Well sir, While I can see gaining your sympathy would be a good thing right along with doing my part in financially supporting this great forum. Hence my post and questions. :)

Top Bottom