What's new

B&B Group Buy - QED Violetta - Ordering Information - New Thread

Folks,
This is a reminder that I'll be closing down the ordering for this buy Thursday December 13 at 12:00 PM EST. I'll get the final tub count to Charles the next day. I will keep you folks in the loop on production status, which Charles is hoping to complete within a month of the final tub count. Please PM me if you have any questions.

Hey folks, just some quick updates:

I have contacted folks for all the international orders I have so far. I am going to double check tomorrow to make sure I didn't miss someone overseas but feel free to be proactive and PM me if you haven't heard from me.

At this juncture we have 47 orders (37 US, 10 international) for a total of 73 tubs!

Wow, I am getting excited for some Violetta. The wait will be hard, but no nowhere near as hard as waiting for something as monumental as a new B&B Brush. :biggrin:

One last plug to get your orders in by Thursday. I'll be doing some frequent bumps of this thread as it seems like everytime I make a post I get a new order. Perhaps you can all help out by coming up wth interesting & amusing "bump posts".

Lastly let me say that so far everyone has been great with this group buy. Thanks for putting up with delays in my responding to folks and thanks for your speedy replies and PayPal payments.

This will be my first QED product.
I really enjoy fragrant soaps and am soo very much looking to try this out.

I've been lucky to have used
TSD Lavender EO soap
Castle & Forbes Lime
and tonight I tried Tabac..
These three are my favs...at present

Tom

(snip)Perhaps you can all help out by coming up wth interesting & amusing "bump posts".(snip)

This morning when I got to work... someone told a computer programmer joke... I spit my coffee all over my keyboard and had to take it apart to clean it. I felt like a nerd and a slob at the same time. :frown:

Uh, I'm also building a computer that'll consume less power than a light bulb when not in heavy use.

I ate a pound of brownies on Saturday.

And I'm really looking forward to getting that soap. Thanks for shipping outside the US!

Out of curiosity, are you building such a computer with readily available parts? What kind of wattage are you aiming for?

Semi-readily available. It's going to be one of the following form factors: mini-itx, nano-itx, or the new pico-itx. The plan is to either get a completely fanless setup to run as a firewall/recipe finder in the kitchen or to gut an old NES and turn it into a frontend for my media project. Basically these form-factors have ridiculously tiny motherboards with slightly weaker processors, use the case as a heatsink, and take laptop memory and drives. You pay a premium for building one of these systems, but they're extremely portable (think can be carried around in your hand and weighs < 2lb). If you go for a solid state drive you can even build one that's completely shock-proof and has no moving parts, good for in the car.

I'm aiming for about 20-30w when idle and about 50w at most when in use.
There are systems that can go down to 18w when idle, I'm not sure what the draw is when they're under load, though. I'm getting the parts from http://www.mini-box.com and http://www.minipc.ca/. Unfortunatley, since I'm currently working on another system at the moment I had to swear to my wife that this project wouldn't officially start till either Q4/2008 or 2009. hehe

There are also sites that sell prebuilt systems too. http://www.cappuccinopc.com/ and https://www.thebookpc.com/ come to mind at the moment.

Folks, please take a look at the ordering post for the Violetta buy.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=375557&postcount=1

I am taking orders via Personal Messages. If you posted to threads indicating interest I am not considering those as comittments to order and haven't been following up on those posts. I'll take a look and will PM people that indicated interest in the threads but haven't sent me a PM yet. I don't want folks to miss out.

Consider this a non-interesting bump to the ordering thread! I'll think of something better for the next bump.

here is a pseudo interesting bump (probably should be its own thread),

I have access to an essential oils importer, and have been contemplating making some homemade glycerin based shave soap. Anyone, have experience with this or know a good recipe.

Evan

I'm aiming for about 20-30w when idle and about 50w at most when in use.
There are systems that can go down to 18w when idle, I'm not sure what the draw is when they're under load, though. I'm getting the parts from http://www.mini-box.com and http://www.minipc.ca/. Unfortunatley, since I'm currently working on another system at the moment I had to swear to my wife that this project wouldn't officially start till either Q4/2008 or 2009. hehe

Wow pretty amazing stuff, I've been thinking about building a low power home server PC for an internal network. I was going to cannibalize this computer because my 3800+ X2 (S939), is capable of running 1.0-2.0ghz on 1.1V. It can run easily under full load with a passive cooler, and I hadn't even begun testing lower voltages yet... However even if I did convert it, the power draw would still easily exceed 100W idle. Of course even then it'd still pack a lot more raw power than one of those mini-ITX's.

It's too bad my project will never materialize because all SFF S939 mobos, or S939 platforms in general, have all but vaporized and are nowhere to be found.

Wow pretty amazing stuff, I've been thinking about building a low power home server PC for an internal network. I was going to cannibalize this computer because my 3800+ X2 (S939), is capable of running 1.0-2.0ghz on 1.1V. It can run easily under full load with a passive cooler, and I hadn't even begun testing lower voltages yet... However even if I did convert it, the power draw would still easily exceed 100W idle. Of course even then it'd still pack a lot more raw power than one of those mini-ITX's.

It's too bad my project will never materialize because all SFF S939 mobos, or S939 platforms in general, have all but vaporized and are nowhere to be found.

One kind of bad thing is that the (m)ATX form factor assumes a certain amount of air cooling. If you take a fan out in one place you may have to compensate somewhere else. My dream up till a few weeks ago was to set up a water-cooling system, but I think mini-ITX will be the route I take instead since my rig is already too heavy for mere mortals to carry. :tongue:

As for the 939s, I feel your pain. I spent nearly $1,000 on a 4400+ X2 right around when they came out and now finding one involves digging through the bargain bin at the local computer shop or some ancient Egyptian ruins. I'm not too sure why AMD felt the need to push AM2 out so quickly, but that's what my backend is going to use in an attempt to future-proof it. Hopefully it sticks around a few more years. He says as AM2+ is already out. hehe

Well, that's another bump for this thread. Tomorrow's the last day to order (more), by the way. :biggrin:

Ya, my current case gets an air change relatively quickly due to five 120x25mm fans. I've decided that my next computer will most likely be a Antec P182 loaded with Noctua fans running at no more than 800RPM. While my current rig is already pretty silent, it's a cheap case and therefore subject to hollowed vibrations.

The worst part about the AM2 switch over was the almost blatant lying on AMD's part. First of all there was little to no warning that the S939 would be obsoleted so quickly, especially since initial testing showed little benefits of the drastically more expensive DDR2, at the time, almost mirroring the DDR3 situation today actually. Second, AMD said that they'd continue to release S939 processors, architecturally speaking AM2 is literally just an extra pin, which pisses me off even more.

While AMD has stated that the new set of processors would be AM2, AM2+ and AM3 compatible, since they're increasing the amount of functions moved to the processor itself, as it stands I'm going to be building an Intel computer for my next. I haven't owned an Intel computer, with the exception of my laptop, since an old Pentium II 400. But at least I know that Intel isn't going to pull a fast one on me and it's been stated very clearly that the next generation Intel processors will not be compatible with any motherboards today; even if they still support the same LG775 socket.

In anycase, I digress, the main reason why I want to build a very low voltage computer is due to my dissatisfaction with the performance of my router. Let's face it, these little computers are simply too handicapped for serious throughput. Even the most powerful (what I could expect to buy) routers only support some 128 connections. That and I also want to add some network hard drives. While they're cheap and readily available solutions, they're all watered down products when compared to a real machine.

Anyways, that's my computer rant of the day, QED SOAPS ROCK! Bump!

*Clarification: At the price point that my projected budget for my next rig with the current product line up suggests that an Intel system would provide the best bang for the buck, which happens to be 250-300$ for the processor alone. I am not saying that AMD products are bad or that I will never return to them, only that given my budget and need for raw performance leads to an Intel choice. At the moment for those looking for a huge bang for the minimum buck AMD is an amazing buy due to their extensive and very aggressive price cuts. On the low end, AMD represents a better value than Intel. Intel have been trading blows in the high end segment for a while, but what happens on the high and expensive end does not necessarily reflect what is happening in the low end.

As always, do your research when buying into a computer. I think people have a tendency to side with a particular manufacturer due to what they display what they're capable of and not the capabilities of the actual model they're purchasing.

Folks,
In cruising through the threads there are about thirty of you that expressed some interest in QED Violetta that have not ordered yet by sending me a PM. I was planning to put some of my own cash up to order a few extra tubs to cover for folks that missed out but not 30 tubs!

Please note that if you expressed interest in QED Violetta in the various threads on this topic, it was not a commitment to buy. I just don't want people to miss out. If you sent me a PM indicating you wanted Violetta - That is a commitment to buy.

The ordering instructions are the first post in this thread.

I will try to get some time today to send PM's to the folks that expressed interest that have not ordered yet. I'll expect heaps of praise for chasing you folks down later. :biggrin:

In anycase, I digress, the main reason why I want to build a very low voltage computer is due to my dissatisfaction with the performance of my router. Let's face it, these little computers are simply too handicapped for serious throughput. Even the most powerful (what I could expect to buy) routers only support some 128 connections. That and I also want to add some network hard drives. While they're cheap and readily available solutions, they're all watered down products when compared to a real machine.

On the subject of cheap and readily available, I know you're not looking for it, but... check out the NSLU2 (pricing here (great site to price-compare in Canada, by the way)) and NSLU2-Linux. It's actually pretty full-featured as far as cheap solutions go. You get your traffic shaping, NAS, and you can even turn it into a reasonable Asterisk server.

I'd post a longer reply but I'm at work. :rolleyes:

Why not just buy a newer dual or quad core processor PC, install an extra NIC, use XEN and hide the extra NIC from Dom0 (the host PC) and pass it through to the DomU (guest OS) that would run your firewall. You wouldn't have any hardware limitations and you could do so much more with the hardware.

And bump...

On the subject of cheap and readily available, I know you're not looking for it, but... check out the NSLU2 (pricing here (great site to price-compare in Canada, by the way)) and NSLU2-Linux. It's actually pretty full-featured as far as cheap solutions go. You get your traffic shaping, NAS, and you can even turn it into a reasonable Asterisk server.

I'd post a longer reply but I'm at work. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I'd probably overpower something like this. My current computer has 4 hard drives hooked up to it, and for good reason. I have two DVD-RW drives installed, each on their own separate IDE channel, and of course each drive needs to be fed data from their own hard disk. But on top of that I'm often playing video games as well or some other task that requires the usage of the drives. ON TOP OF THAT, data is being simultaneously accessed by other computers in the house.

In other words, my hard drives don't get much of a reprieve, nor does my computer for that matter, and the channels are constantly saturated. While these particular tasks don't overwhelm the router, my computer is on for FAR too long during the day. And it'd be nice to move these processes to another location.

Building a machine to replace the router is basically killing two birds with one stone, albeit pricely. On that note a dual core or quad core solution is overkill in my case, especially if I can salvage components from older computers; although the parts required to make a low power consumption alternative are hard to acquire for older parts.

Bump!

Top Bottom