What's new

Avoiding finger cuts from a DE blade

How does everyone unwrap a paper-coated blade and insert it in the razor? How do you remove it without cutting your fingers?

I realize the idea is to hold it by the side edges, but what if soap residue makes it stick to the bottom plate, for example?

I love the DE shaves, but don't want to have to keep a suture kit in the medicine cabinet as well!

Thanks.

Best regards,

Jay

I carefully unfold the paper from one end and then pull the blade up and out of the open edge. Haven't cut my fingers yet. Just make sure you hold the ends and not the cutting edges.

I carefully unfold the paper from one end and then pull the blade up and out of the open edge. Haven't cut my fingers yet. Just make sure you hold the ends and not the cutting edges.

I haven't cut myself inserting or removing a DE blade either. It's really not too hard. It just sounds dangerous because we associate the DE blades with bloody accidents. (Probably clever propaganda from the disposable cartridge folks: make us fear the DE so we buy the newest plastic triple-blade monstrosity at ever-escalating import oil prices!)

The DE blade is probably no more dangerous to handle [or shave with] than the plastic disposables. (It's that clever propaganda tainting our minds, that's all.)

Christopher

I haven't cut myself inserting or removing a DE blade either. It's really not too hard. It just sounds dangerous because we associate the DE blades with bloody accidents. (Probably clever propaganda from the disposable cartridge folks: make us fear the DE so we buy the newest plastic triple-blade monstrosity at ever-escalating import oil prices!)

The DE blade is probably no more dangerous to handle [or shave with] than the plastic disposables. (It's that clever propaganda tainting our minds, that's all.)

Christopher

Interesting perception. Thanks.

Jay

Use your teeth!

I peel back the first bit of wrapper then hold it between finger and thumb in the middle of the blade whilst getting the rest of the wrapper loose. Then grab one end of the blade again between finger and thumb and bung it in the razor. No problems.

As for getting the old one out, I just grab the ends.

I used to live next door to a glazier and he always told me that if you are afraid of the edge, then it will cut you. Respect it but don't be afraid of it!

How does everyone unwrap a paper-coated blade and insert it in the razor? How do you remove it without cutting your fingers?

I realize the idea is to hold it by the side edges, but what if soap residue makes it stick to the bottom plate, for example?

And that's why I continue to post that it's just not a Good Idea™ to store a DE blade in a razor, between shaves; but "worst case", open the silo doors (or loosen the cap) and thoroughly rinse-out/off the inside and blade.

Just my 2¢ -- YMMV.

I only change blades when the razor and blades are dry, so normally the blade is loose. I keep the blade in the razor for 3-4 shaves. If in doubt, tap the side of the razor gently on a towl sitting on your counter to loosen the blade from the razor.

I love the DE shaves, but don't want to have to keep a suture kit in the medicine cabinet as well!

Thanks.

Best regards,

Jay

It's a "Darwin" thing.
If you can't change the blade in your razor without cutting yourself you should probably got back to cartridge razors. :001_rolle

It's a "Darwin" thing.
If you can't change the blade in your razor without cutting yourself you should probably got back to cartridge razors. :001_rolle

Very supportive. Thanks. You'd be wise to read the below quote:

Taking your time and paying attention are the keys. Here's my finger-slicing story: new blade in the upside-down HD head, somehow my left hand brushes the head, and the right hand automatically tries to catch it before it falls to the ground. The brain almost caught up to the action in time, and told the right hand to back off, but not before a fairly significant cut that took a week to heal. Since then, I've been paying attention much better.:cool:

Top Bottom