What's new

Australian Private Reserve - A Guide to APR scents

I have FBR too. Two tubs (one alost gone), 2 splashes and some EdP. It was my first artisanal product ever in wetshaving some years ago. I hope It will make a comeback.

G’day Sealer. You still doing the Antarctic gig?
I’ve also got FBR in EDP - it is in my top five fragrances, and I’ve got a shedload.

Just quietly, Fougere Trois should be in all of your dens.
And the scent of the Noble Otter collab ‘Jungle Warrior’ is magnificent. I’m very keen to use it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

G’day Sealer. You still doing the Antarctic gig?
I’ve also got FBR in EDP - it is in my top five fragrances, and I’ve got a shedload.

G'day mate. Lately I am more with Tassie devils research. I'll be most likely back to antarctic stuff next year once back to Aussie, and hope to go next summer south again :). Regarding FBR, I remember defining it as the scent I would use the day of meeting my future fathers in law hahha, elegant, rich, and very very nice.

Just quietly, Fougere Trois should be in all of your dens.
And the scent of the Noble Otter collab ‘Jungle Warrior’ is magnificent. I’m very keen to use it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hear good thoughts from jungle warrior, Dan just nail the fougere scents. I may never get Jungle warrior, but FBR, general ledger, and fougere trois are just amazing fougeres , not to mention other greener fougeres like coeur de vert etc.... Actually, I still have to find a scent from APR that I don't enjoy, and I have try a lot :)

G'day mate. Lately I am more with Tassie devils research. I'll be most likely back to antarctic stuff next year once back to Aussie, and hope to go next summer south again :). Regarding FBR, I remember defining it as the scent I would use the day of meeting my future fathers in law hahha, elegant, rich, and very very nice.

I hear good thoughts from jungle warrior, Dan just nail the fougere scents. I may never get Jungle warrior, but FBR, general ledger, and fougere trois are just amazing fougeres , not to mention other greener fougeres like coeur de vert etc.... Actually, I still have to find a scent from APR that I don't enjoy, and I have try a lot :)
Fer, it’s good seeing you around the traps again. We miss you on p&c!

Raconteur (F2 base)

APR Description:

Rich and full bodied, a fragrance to reach for as the cooler weather moves in.

Opening boldly with a beautifully rich accord of roast arabica coffee, our new Islay Whisky accord and a transparent hint of Tuberose we return to the masterful complexity for which we are known.

A heart of intoxicating Labdanum, the refinement of fresh leather and the depth of cedarwood and patchouli sit at the very centre of this composition, equidistant from cavalier opening and the depth of the primal base.

Resting at the bottom of our design sandalwood and guaiac wood buttresses the animalic complexity of Castoreum absolute, the sweet indolic nature of Civet and an entirely new accord of Animal musk’s that deliver a refinement you deserve.
This is a fragrance of duration, it is masculine, intoxicating and entirely unique telling a story with panache, wit and style. Always refined, we are proud to regale you of the Raconteur …

Top Notes Include: Roast Arabica Coffee, Whisky & Tuberose
Heart Notes Include: Cedarwood, Spice, Labdanum, Leather & Patchouli
Base Notes Include: Sandalwood, Guaiac Wood, Castoreum, Civet & Animal Musk’s

User Description:
This is quite possibly the most masculine scent APR has done to date. When I smell this, I picture one of those old-school London gentlemen's clubs where members sit in tufted leather chairs surrounded by mahogany wall paneling and shelving. And while they are reading the paper, they drink peaty whiskey and smoke a Cuban cigar. I think in principle, this is a leather scent (freshly tanned bridle leather). At least that is what I perceive as the most obvious note. But underneath the leather, there are precious woods and peated Whiskey. And the civet that stars in Torchwood makes a repeat performance in this scent. In the soap, the civet is more pronounced than in the Splash.

If you love REALLY manly scents, this one is for you. I also think this works better for an older crowd (unlike Fenchurch which I think works great for all ages). The perfect soap and splash to add to your den for the upcoming winter. Beware though...the combo of Soap+Splash provides significant longevity and sillage, so go easy on the splash as your projection of masculinity, it may be overwhelming to those around you.

ONE EXTRA REMARK:
One thought I wanted to add here is that while I have not heard or read anything about this soap having been reformulated (Dan actually confirmed for me on IG that this was F2 base), this soap performs even better than all my prior F2 base soaps. It is even creamier and denser than before and IMO, the texture of this soap now is in line with DG Milksteak and A&E Goat Milk formula, which was not previously the case.

Thank you for bringing this to attention, steffen.
Reading the scent accord description i can imagine this to be a bold and man card up kind of scent. As you say Castoreum on this is more pronounced but does this ‘animalistic’ scent fits in overall scheme of things? Grooming dpt Wonderland had Castoreum and it was kind of unrefined and edgy with a typical GD soap funk kind of smell. If you have used GD tallow soaps you will know what I mean. That funk and Castoreum riding as one of the top scent, isn’t for me.
Do you think Raconteur has a complex and better done scent profiling?

Thank you for bringing this to attention, steffen.
Reading the scent accord description i can imagine this to be a bold and man card up kind of scent. As you say Castoreum on this is more pronounced but does this ‘animalistic’ scent fits in overall scheme of things? Grooming dpt Wonderland had Castoreum and it was kind of unrefined and edgy with a typical GD soap funk kind of smell. If you have used GD tallow soaps you will know what I mean. That funk and Castoreum riding as one of the top scent, isn’t for me.
Do you think Raconteur has a complex and better done scent profiling?

I have not tried the GD soap you mention, but I can confirm that Raconteur is super classy. If you are familiar with Floris fragrances, Raconteur is very similar to Floris Leather Oud although without the heavy Oud component. The animale notes are really present only on the opening. Once you get to the base it is woods and leather.

I came back to this to see your thoughts again because I finally made moves to get some APR stuff. I have samples of Passione, Torchwood, and Lavioletta. So far I've only used the Passione and I think it's fantastic. It's very different from anything else I've used in a very good way. As of now it's almost a definite addition to the "to buy" list for a set.

Off the puck the Lavioletta doesn't wow, but I like it. I am not sure how I feel about the Torchwood. I'll see what they turn into when lathered.

I was also interested in trying out a sample of Bombora, but ended up snagging a full size Bombora soap and Fresca aftershave for a pretty good deal (each only used once by the original buyer). Haven't received those yet.

Pulled the trigger on Maggard's black Friday sale on a set of Passione. I had hinted at the EdT also and just received that as a belated birthday present. Haven't tried the EdT yet but it smells good as expected. I don't need anything else right now, but Passione was just a wow must have. I'd consider getting a set of Lavioletta in the future.

I was disappointed with the Bombora. Really just smelled lke musty driftwood to me and was not what i hoped for from a soap described as a citric aquatic. I also didn't care for the Fresca splash. Sold or traded both of them.

It seems as though APR is now out of business. Either that or they're on some kind on extended hiatus. Their website is a blank white page, and the local stockist here in Australia no longer keeps their products.

It seems as though APR is now out of business. Either that or they're on some kind on extended hiatus. Their website is a blank white page, and the local stockist here in Australia no longer keeps their products.
I got the word from a retailer about 5 months ago. They couldn’t make their way through COVID evidently. I loved their soaps. Shame. Hope they fight back.

Sad to hear. I inquired on one of the shaving groups on Reddit and was told he went dark without a lot of information. Someone said he deleted his social media including personal accounts too. Hope everything is okay and he’s able to make a comeback.

Top Bottom