What's new

Need Recommendations: Highest Performance Soaps with SIMPLE, CLEAN scents?

I've been using Haslinger Sheep Milk, Cella Almond and Muhle (Sandlewood & Aloe Vera) exclusively since I started wet shaving ~6 months ago

I just ordered more Haslingers (all of which smell too cloying and/or synthetic) and like 20 samples of various DG, Noble Otter, BM, Zingari, AE, WK from Maggards, all just arrived today

... all of them smell way too fussy / complex / synthetic, like they're trying too hard or something. Of course each one listed like 10 scent ingredients so I guess now I know. I like simple and clean.

Can someone recommend some highest performance soaps (like from the manufacturers in the list of Maggards samples I just got) but in SIMPLE, monotonic, clean, natural scents? Like the ones I have with the Muhle's? Citrus, Herbal, etc. it's all good, even Sandalwood. I like the Muhle's except their performance I only rate as "above average" at best ... looking for the same goodness in "the best of the best" soaps. Cost isn't an object as long as I can at least buy them in America

Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme is the one for you. Now their other scent 63 is so fabulous the B&T gets overlooked, but it's a lovely clean fresh scent & great hard soap. Available at Maggards etc... for the price you ought to try the 63 too (as it is wonderful, but not overly complex... just great).

I haven’t tried it myself (as it is nearly impossible to get here), but I have read good reviews about Canada Shaving Soap. It is supposed to be unscented so I assume it has a mild soap smell to it. Performance is reportedly top notch.

Other that comes to mind is Mitchell Wool Fat. Faint soap scent that’s it. Performance is excellent.

One I really like but I would need to assist you in getting it is Dutchy Bergamot or VanderLovett Dutch Blue.

Guido

It's always refreshing to find I am not the only one who finds most artisan soaps offensively over-fragranced, although I am surprised you don't like the Haslingers....AFAIK they use natural ingredients and most people complain that they are almost scentless. As someone with fragrance allergies, I can rely on Haslinger not to cause me problems.

As you have discovered, most artisan soaps layer it on thick. If you want artisan performance without the cloying, heavy-handed fragrances, most of them have an unscented version.

You may like Signature Soaps. They are made in the UK but available at Pasteurs in NYC. All natural ingredients, simple scent profiles and excellent unscented options.

I also prefer low/simple scent and don't mind citrus. Mitchell's Wool Fat (haven't tried new formulation though), Martin de Candre, Speick stick, Mike's are all recommended. And throwing in Messiner Dark Limes as complex citrus. All are top performers.

Highest Performance Soaps with SIMPLE, CLEAN scents?​

129281-jpg.1724446

opppps! i didn't read the fine prints.

"Can someone recommend some highest performance soaps (like from the manufacturers in the list of Maggards samples"

My bad!

I've been using Haslinger Sheep Milk, Cella Almond and Muhle (Sandlewood & Aloe Vera) exclusively since I started wet shaving ~6 months ago

I just ordered more Haslingers (all of which smell too cloying and/or synthetic) and like 20 samples of various DG, Noble Otter, BM, Zingari, AE, WK from Maggards, all just arrived today

... all of them smell way too fussy / complex / synthetic, like they're trying too hard or something. Of course each one listed like 10 scent ingredients so I guess now I know. I like simple and clean.

Can someone recommend some highest performance soaps (like from the manufacturers in the list of Maggards samples I just got) but in SIMPLE, monotonic, clean, natural scents? Like the ones I have with the Muhle's? Citrus, Herbal, etc. it's all good, even Sandalwood. I like the Muhle's except their performance I only rate as "above average" at best ... looking for the same goodness in "the best of the best" soaps. Cost isn't an object as long as I can at least buy them in America
I recommend Sv aromatic fern with a light scent and to be used all year round, or Meissner Tremonia "Pure", fantastic, I recommend hard soap no cream

Santa Maria Novella makes the finest traditional shaving soap I have ever used. Tobacco Toscano is the scent. SMN is an iconic fragrance company from Florence. I doubt you will find a finer soap. But here in the States it runs $70.

That said nothing performs better than Jack Black’s products or even Cremo’s products.

Using centuries old technology like plain old soap has its drawbacks and limitations.

I would highly recommend looking at Ethos Grooming Essentials. Ethos is focused on all natural scents. You might want to consider Sandalo Artistico (sandalwood) or Vetivert as a starting point for monotonic clean and light scents with a high performance base filled with skin beneficials. But you really can't go wrong with any of the Ethos offerings if the scent profile fits your interest.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Martin de Candre, Stirling citrus scents (clementine, west indies lime, grapefruit), Santa Maria Novella, Acqua di Parma, Pre de Provence Bergamot and Thyme, Klar, Golddachs (if you can find it), D. R. Harris Arlington, lavender, Atkinson’s For Gentlemen lavender cream ….

Generally if you want lighter, simpler scents you’ll have to steer away from the artisan products, though some do make lighter scents like MdC and some Stirling scents.

Top Bottom