What's new

Australian Private Reserve - A Guide to APR scents

Ozymandias (F2 base)

APR Description:
We are proud to release Ozymandias, a tour de force of vibrant dark woods teaming with creamy, refined Mysore Sandalwood finished impeccably with white musk and dark resinous vanilla.

Heart notes of generous Rosewood, beautiful floral Orris and the warmth of Cedar resting on the sweetness of Honey. The sum is greater than the whole accord.

The warming camaraderie of white rums suitably aged and rested, accented by intangible suggestions of Red Cherry and Blueberry as the fragrance opens.

To experience Ozymandias is to experience a deep fragrance of multiple accords, a narrative of agelessness, memory and time where the lone and level sands stretch far away.

Top Notes Include: White Rum, Red Cherry & Blueberry
Heart Notes Include: Rosewood, Orris, Cedarwood & Honey
Base Notes Include: Oudh, Mysore Sandalwood, White Musks, Vanilla & Ambergris.

User Description:
Like with all APR scents, this one doesn't really quite match the descriptors. First of all, this is STRONG. As in beast mode strong performance. I lathered this soap and left it with the lid open in the master bath and when I re-enter, the whole master suite smells like the soap after the shave. Beyond that, I find this scent VERY close to Floris Leather Oud. As in "almost a clone" close. So I don't really get the fruit notes at all...instead I am getting oud, leather, sandalwood, ylang ylang, honey, and an anise/licorice note. This is FIRMLY a winter scent and if you are buying some now, you can safely tuck it away until at least September in the Northern hemisphere. While most APR scents are crowd pleasers, I think, this one should be pretty polarizing because that anise/licorice drydown can veer into olive tapenade and I can see some folks not enjoying this. This scent is NOT for the faint of heart.

I’ve just ordered the splashes to go with Florian and Bombora. If they are half as good as fougere Trois they’ll be brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve just ordered the splashes to go with Florian and Bombora. If they are half as good as fougere Trois they’ll be brilliant.

Yeah. I ordered Bombora and Fresca splashes...these scents are just sooo good...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I just got the fougere trois soap. It’s fantastic. I can’t put my finger on it, but it smells exactly like some classic aftershave. Very close to a clubman type scent. Great shave.

All. I know there are some who will never buy these soaps due to a recent dustup between the owner and one of his best customers, but I continue to really enjoy these soaps for both their performance and scents. I won't deal with the performance here because I like both F1 and F2 tremendously much. But when it comes to scent, I want to see if we can help each other. In my experience (owning 6 APR soaps) the scents never really quite smell like you would expect them to off the descriptions. That is not to say they are not excellent scents...just that some of them smell unexpected.

But since I don't think the descriptors are particularly helpful, I want to start a resource for others to use to determine which scents to puchase.

So in the spirit of helping APR users out which soaps to choose (since I have never seen a sample offered), here are the first few entries based on the APR soaps I own and use. Please feel free to add your comments and I will work them into this OP.

Torchwood (F2 base)

APR Description:
Strongly masculine. We have curated the finest woods on offer and built with them something bold, smooth and luxuriant.

Torchwood opens with redolent notes of Black Plum and sun dried Apricot in accord with softly camphoraceous Texas Cedarwood, Rosewood, Teak and Mahogany. Sweet tobacco flower accompanies the gentle leathers to provide depth and richness to the selection of woods. At the base of the fragrance we have used Sandalwood and ethically sourced Civet in concert with Hyrax Absolute to form a radiant and honeyed musk base of refinement and difference.

Top Notes Include: Cedar Atlas, Dried Apricot & Black Plum
Heart Notes Include: Texas Cedarwood, Rosewood, Mahogany, Tobacco, Teak & Leather
Base Notes Include: Sandalwood, Civet, Hyrax, Patchouli & Animal Musk

User Description:
Strongly masculine and bold for sure. When I first smelled this, I thought it smelled similar to CRSW Bay/Bergamot and very similar to Noble Otter Flying Hide. But as I kept using this, I realized what I originally interpreted as leather and bergamot was actually the civet, hyrax and musk. In my opinion, that is what this scent is all about...a very animalic scent that is borderline addictive after multiple use. I wasn't sure about this in the beginning, but I really love it now. That said...probably more of a spring/summer scent IMO with a fall application as well. But it comes across much fresher than I would have expected based on the wood descriptors.

Fenchurch (F2 base)

APR Description:
Fenchurch is a skillfully textured, masculine composition built on an indulgent base that is encompassing, refined and luxurious.

A note of important documents, paper and vellum. Warm balsams meet sweet vanilla, while potent animal musk accents fragrant patchouli and opulent tuberose to establish a solid foundation. We don’t do compromise.

Beautiful leathers, both old and new sit atop the base notes defining layers of texture and experience, sweet tobacco flower is in accord with dark tobacco leaf. Fenchurch explores the many varieties of fine things.

Whiskey completes the proceedings with the narcotic notes of Heliotropin and nuances of sweet plum.

Top Notes Include: Whiskey, Heliotrope & Dark Plum
Heart Notes Include: Leathers, Suede, Tobacco Flower & Dark Tobacco Leaf
Base Notes Include: Papyrus, Benzoin, Labdanum, Vanilla, Animal Musk, Patchouli & Tuberose

User Description:
Unlike other F2 base scents, I find Fenchurch to be the most refined and elegant and even lightly scented soaps. The most noticeable elements are whiskey, tobacco flower and patchouli/papyrus which makes for a very warm and soft scent that is strangely reminiscent of the smell of play doh from my childhood. It is a soothing and comforting scent that I like to use on weekends or during periods of colder weather although it is perfectly suitable to be used during warmer weather, as well.

La Violetta (F2 base)

APR Description:
A celebration with a festival of lavenders, Egyptian and French Violet, Iris, Pink Pepper, Réunion Geranium, Tonka Bean, Patchouli, Oakmoss & Sandalwood set atop a tenacious and beautiful musk accord.

A classic fragrance opening of French Lemon Verbena & Calabrian Bergamot provide elegance before receding to the finest Lavenders, resting on the beauty of the base.

Top Notes Include: Lemon Verbena (France), Bergamot
Heart Notes Include: French, Spanish & Australian Lavenders, Réunion
Geranium, French Violet, Heliotrope, Accacia & Pink Pepper
Base Notes Include: Sandalwood Mysore, Egyptian Violet, Iris, Oakmoss,
Tonka & White Musk.

User Description:

Another powerhouse, strongly scented soap. This one is fairly straightforward with citrus lavender dominating the action with a base of iris. I really don't detect much woodiness or pepper. It is realistically a Fougere scent IMO and a very well done one at that.

Mycroft (F1 base)

APR Description:
Brother of Sherlock Holmes, resident of one 221B Baker St as penned by Conan Doyle in his seminal texts on the grand detective.

We have designed a stylish and exacting Autumnal scent with rich clear notes of Juniper resting
effortlessly on Bergamot and a dalliance of Jasmine Grandiflorium Absolute.

For the base we have engaged no less, the rich narcotic Labdanum Absolute as is truly fitting, a potent and raunchy Animal Musk and the sweet intoxicating coumarin drenched Tonka Absolute. A thoroughly intoxicating, sophisticated and effortlessly elegant fragrance for Autumn and Spring and one that is definitely higher minds.

Top Notes: Calabrian Bergamot, Jasmine Absolute
Heart Notes: Juniper
Base Notes: Labandum, Musk, Tonka, Vetiver

User Description:
Like most F1 base scents, this is a super complex scent that I would actually classify as a woodsy scent that is best paired with a sandalwood/cedar EdT before leaving the house (think Dyptique Tam Dao or Floris Santal). It reeks (figuratively speaking) of elegance and British understatement. When I smell this, the image of a library with really old books and leather chairs comes to mind (even though there is no leather in this scent). I certainly do not really perceive any Bergamot in this at all, so this is more of a fall and winter scent for most, I assume.

Winterfall (F1 base)

APR Description:
The traditional masculine Chypre (pronounced sheepr) embodies a sophisticated design of woody, vanilla notes evocative of an ages old forest in winter. Stated simply this fragrance embodies elegance and refinement while retaining a masculine presence and air.

APR have based their composition on a historical Chypre formulation, but in keeping with Australian Private Reserve’s intentions they have produced a contemporary fragrance design utilising Oudh and Sandalwood as an inspiration for something quite special.

On application an accord of Sicilian Bergamot and cypress presents, gently receding to warm intoxicating Labdanum and sweet Rosewood, shortly thereafter something very special emerges and endures for hours…

Top notes:Sicilian Bergamot, Cypress
Heart Notes: Labdanum, Rosewood
Base notes: Agarwood, Patchouli, Oakmoss, Musk

User Description:
Another very soft scent. Maybe the softest of the APR scents I have tried. The vibe here is really one of white rum, egg nogg and nutmeg. I can see where there is a woody influence, but it is an intensely creamy scent that will at first befuddle you before winning you over. One of my favorite cold weather soaps.

Alfredus Choice (F1 base)

APR Description:

A bold, rich elegant chypre with a heart of rich resinous cedar and damp, earthy spice. The product of a choice that relies on an intricate chemistry and execution of design.

It’s rich and woody, with notes of deep teak, rich teas scaffolded with deep white grapefruit. It speaks to a choice of sophistication, style and presence and wears particularly well in Autumn, enduring through the coldest winter.

Top Notes: White Grapefruit, Bergamot, Basil
Heart: Cedarwood, Ginger, Nutmeg, Violet, Lavender
Base Notes: Ambergris, Tonka, Oakmoss, Mysore Sandalwood

User Description:
The most powerful of the F1 scents I have tried to date. The grapefruit, woods and earthiness are what shine through in this unique scent. I really think earthiness and green/herbal notes make this so darn interesting and it reminds me ever so slightly of a similar level of complexity a Eufros Fougere even though this is definitely not a Fougere.

Terrific reviews!! Thanks! :a14::a14:

I just got the fougere trois soap. It’s fantastic. I can’t put my finger on it, but it smells exactly like some classic aftershave. Very close to a clubman type scent. Great shave.
I do not normally like Fougeres very much. The only EdT in that genre that I have enjoyed is Houbigant Fougere Royale, but even that is rarely the first thing I reach for. Too bad one can't buy sample of these...I am more tempted to buy Passione since it seems a little less green...

Just FYI @steffenapelz: Maggards' does carry samples of a few soaps. Don't know the formulae for any of them, but they currently list Bombora, Fenchurch, Fougere Trois, Lavioletta, Ozymandias, Passione, and Torchwood.

Just FYI @steffenapelz: Maggards' does carry samples of a few soaps. Don't know the formulae for any of them, but they currently list Bombora, Fenchurch, Fougere Trois, Lavioletta, Ozymandias, Passione, and Torchwood.
Is that new? I haven't looked in a long time thanks to GRUME in May, but I'll probably order FT and Passione samples...I suspect I will like both

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Passione (F2 base)

APR Description:
A bright, radiant Fougère of high projection – this composition is tradition turned on its head with a cavalier and very bold complexity.
Passione opens in dramatic style with an accord of tart Passion fruit, Apricot, Peach and Raspberry bursting forward in a mélange of citrus and tart fruit notes.

We follow through on the opening presence with deeper layers of complexity as we explore the depth of Passion fruit flesh, the intricacy of Lime leaves married to the sour citrus floral tones of Green Apple.

A traditional base anchors the composition ensuring longevity and a solid base, Elemi providing the necessary vertical accord for the explosive opening with the sweetness of Vanilla and Musk ensuring the balance of sharp citrus and sweet fruit.

Top Notes Include: Passion fruit, Apricot, Peach & Raspberry
Heart Notes Include: Passion fruit Flesh, Lime Leaves, Green Apple, Geranium & Lavender
Base Notes Include: Oakmoss, Tonka, Sandalwood, Elemi, Vanilla & Musk

User Description:
Unlike most APR scents, this one actually matched most descriptors. But I REALLY didn't like this. It is passion fruit, green apple and guava front and center. It is super fruity (even though I would not describe it as sweet) and it fully reminds me of a tropical drink or dessert. Very gourmand and ultimately a scent that, while well blended, is something that comes across as rather feminine that is more commonly found at stores like the Body Shop. I shaved with it only once and then threw away the rest of the sample because I frankly have so many amazing APR scents to choose from that I didn't see the need to shave with a very average one at best. Glad I only bought a sample of this and not a puck.

One quick note about the descriptors that APR provides. If you have only ever used the soaps, you may think (as I did) that the descriptors never really quite capture the soap scent. I recently started buying the splashes (fantastic products btw) and one thing became quickly apparent...namely that the descriptors that APR provide make far more sense and are more readily discernible in the splashes. As an example, Sandalwood and Vanilla are not perceptible in Ozymandia soap but really form the base of the AS splash.

It is therefore my opinion that Dan (the owner) writes up the notes based on the spashes/EdT/EdP and thne uses those descriptors for the soap...but the soaps simply smell slightly more complex and diluted due to the base.

One quick note about the descriptors that APR provides. If you have only ever used the soaps, you may think (as I did) that the descriptors never really quite capture the soap scent. I recently started buying the splashes (fantastic products btw) and one thing became quickly apparent...namely that the descriptors that APR provide make far more sense and are more readily discernible in the splashes. As an example, Sandalwood and Vanilla are not perceptible in Ozymandia soap but really form the base of the AS splash.

It is therefore my opinion that Dan (the owner) writes up the notes based on the spashes/EdT/EdP and thne uses those descriptors for the soap...but the soaps simply smell slightly more complex and diluted due to the base.

My understanding is that Dan definitely makes the splashes/EDT/P’s and while he lends his scents to the soap, a different soap maker makes those. So that might account for the slight difference?

Thanks for posting this guide! It's very helpful as they have a lot of scents that sound very interesting. I'm got samples of the Lavioletta, Torchwood and Fenchurch from Maggards. Have only tried the Lavioletta sofar, but love it. I like lavender, so really didn't want to stop shaving with this one. I bet the splash is great too. I used it with Fine Italian Citrus and they seemed to go well together.

Thanks for posting this guide! It's very helpful as they have a lot of scents that sound very interesting. I'm got samples of the Lavioletta, Torchwood and Fenchurch from Maggards. Have only tried the Lavioletta sofar, but love it. I like lavender, so really didn't want to stop shaving with this one. I bet the splash is great too. I used it with Fine Italian Citrus and they seemed to go well together.

Let us known what you think of Torchwood and Fenchurch. Those are two I've had my eye on.

Top Bottom