What's new

Australian Private Reserve - A Guide to APR scents

I came back to this to see your thoughts again because I finally made moves to get some APR stuff. I have samples of Passione, Torchwood, and Lavioletta. So far I've only used the Passione and I think it's fantastic. It's very different from anything else I've used in a very good way. As of now it's almost a definite addition to the "to buy" list for a set.

Off the puck the Lavioletta doesn't wow, but I like it. I am not sure how I feel about the Torchwood. I'll see what they turn into when lathered.

I was also interested in trying out a sample of Bombora, but ended up snagging a full size Bombora soap and Fresca aftershave for a pretty good deal (each only used once by the original buyer). Haven't received those yet.

Let us known what you think of Torchwood and Fenchurch. Those are two I've had my eye on.

Just tried the Torchwood this morning. Really loved it. It doesn't smell like much out of the container, but opens up a bit when lathered. The lather was amazing btw. Haven't really smelled anything like it, but it smells very masculine and clean. The original post said it becomes addictive and I can absolutely see why. Will be buying this; I have a feeling the splash adds another dimension to this as well.

I ordered, and received, a sample of Bombora but have yet to try it. I pressed the sample out into a bowl and I’m wondering if the wrong soap was sent or if it’s possible the sample I have is bad. It has a real funky smell that is nothing to do with ocean or fresh breeze. It’s pretty bad to the point I’m afraid to try it. It’s hard to describe but I can detect a “stockyard scent”, those places where they keep lots of cattle penned up before being sent to slaughter.

I ordered, and received, a sample of Bombora but have yet to try it. I pressed the sample out into a bowl and I’m wondering if the wrong soap was sent or if it’s possible the sample I have is bad. It has a real funky smell that is nothing to do with ocean or fresh breeze. It’s pretty bad to the point I’m afraid to try it. It’s hard to describe but I can detect a “stockyard scent”, those places where they keep lots of cattle penned up before being sent to slaughter.

Interesting. I've seen reviews where people say off the puck they only smell a driftwood/algae sort of smell and it doesn't open up until lathered (which is the case with many soaps). I think you need to lather it and report back!

Yes, it was quite a surprise. I was excited to give it a try and when I took the lid off and took a big whiff, I was instantly reminded of a road trip many years ago where I was passing through the San Joaquin valley of California passing through an area full of dusty stockyards packed with thousands of cows baking in the hot summer sun. Not the best first impression.

I’ve been letting the sample air out for a couple weeks. I’ll try lathering it and see if it somehow magically transforms. I’m thinking I have a bad sample, but really how common is it for soaps to arrive bad?

I came back to this to see your thoughts again because I finally made moves to get some APR stuff. I have samples of Passione, Torchwood, and Lavioletta. So far I've only used the Passione and I think it's fantastic. It's very different from anything else I've used in a very good way. As of now it's almost a definite addition to the "to buy" list for a set.

Off the puck the Lavioletta doesn't wow, but I like it. I am not sure how I feel about the Torchwood. I'll see what they turn into when lathered.

I was also interested in trying out a sample of Bombora, but ended up snagging a full size Bombora soap and Fresca aftershave for a pretty good deal (each only used once by the original buyer). Haven't received those yet.
La Violetta is an interesting scent. I have been increasingly reminded of a scent I used to wear as a young man although I cannot quite remember what it was.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Just tried the Torchwood this morning. Really loved it. It doesn't smell like much out of the container, but opens up a bit when lathered. The lather was amazing btw. Haven't really smelled anything like it, but it smells very masculine and clean. The original post said it becomes addictive and I can absolutely see why. Will be buying this; I have a feeling the splash adds another dimension to this as well.
When you add the splash, you will smell the fragrance on you all day and into the next morning. The scent longevity is next level. For some, that may be too much.

In my opinion, this does not sound right. Maybe the sample has spoilt, but my Bombora smells pure and clean....If I were you, I would seek a replacement.

Yes, it was quite a surprise. I was excited to give it a try and when I took the lid off and took a big whiff, I was instantly reminded of a road trip many years ago where I was passing through the San Joaquin valley of California passing through an area full of dusty stockyards packed with thousands of cows baking in the hot summer sun. Not the best first impression.

I’ve been letting the sample air out for a couple weeks. I’ll try lathering it and see if it somehow magically transforms. I’m thinking I have a bad sample, but really how common is it for soaps to arrive bad?

I not sure how common can be for a soap to goes bad. It may happen with time?
I have (quick head count) roguhly 12 soaps, 11 Parfums, and 20 splashes from APR (including soap, splash and EdT Bombora) and never have such a experience. It may have to do with how each person perceives scents?. A friend of mine says that I smell super powdery when using lixiviant (the strongest scent from APR, IMO), but I do not detect the powdery when wearing it...

La Violetta is an interesting scent. I have been increasingly reminded of a scent I used to wear as a young man although I cannot quite remember what it was.

Yes it is, I shaved with it last night. Definitely can detect the lavender and lemon but its hard to distinguish individual parts beyond that. A fragrance with a lot of depth to it.

Spot on there. I tried the Torchwood sample and it went from a "meh" smell out of the container, to "this is pretty nice" when lathered.

I also received and tried the Bombora. I want to like it, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I primarily smell driftwood/algae with citrus in the background. It was only used once by the original buyer, so I'm going to leave it open for a few days to air out before trying it again.

The Fresca splash. Meh, I don't really like it. I might give it one more chance but that's probably one for the BST. Win some lose some!

One word about Fenchurch now that I have used it for quite some time...it was released in 2018, and in February 2019, Maison Margiela launched "Whispers at the Library" which smells like a CLONE of Fenchurch. I could not even believe it at first. A part of me is curious if APR was copied, but more importantly, if you enjoy Fenchurch, you now have a fragrance that will go with it beautifully.

One word about Fenchurch now that I have used it for quite some time...it was released in 2018, and in February 2019, Maison Margiela launched "Whispers at the Library" which smells like a CLONE of Fenchurch. I could not even believe it at first. A part of me is curious if APR was copied, but more importantly, if you enjoy Fenchurch, you now have a fragrance that will go with it beautifully.
If that scent is EdT, then the Fenchurch splash would last at least as much as an EdT, with the benefits of a skin nursing splash, being probably cheaper or at a similar cost (most of the > 15 splashes of APR I have will last at least as an EdT, and fenchurch for sure). Fenchurch EdP has a quite bite cost, but IMO, it is worth any cent it cost, snd it is parfum, not toilete, it really last loong time :)

If that scent is EdT, then the Fenchurch splash would last at least as much as an EdT, with the benefits of a skin nursing splash, being probably cheaper or at a similar cost (most of the > 15 splashes of APR I have will last at least as an EdT, and fenchurch for sure). Fenchurch EdP has a quite bite cost, but IMO, it is worth any cent it cost, snd it is parfum, not toilete, it really last loong time :)

Yes. Replica's frag is EdT, and I, too, find that Fenchurch splash lasts hours if not all day. And costs almost $100 less per bottle.

Yes. Replica's frag is EdT, and I, too, find that Fenchurch splash lasts hours if not all day. And costs almost $100 less per bottle.
Actually, long time ago chatting with Dan (APR) I ask him about the parfum concentration of his splashes, he didn't want to disclose, but I am sure the parfum concentration of his splashes has to be at minimum equal if not higher than the expected for a cologne. Sometimes, I reckon you actually mentioned earlier in this thread, people says that they don't get the expected scent from the soap, but also because it is used in a soap, not in a splash or fragance, and the scents needs time to evolve. Since a long time, I normally buy first the splash (where I can try and enjoy the real scent), and then, if I like a lot, then I go for the soap and the parfum. Still, I have never found a scent from APR that I dislike. Some may suit better, but to say, all are pleasant and very well designed. Some are not for every day use, like Idoru, even if is fantastic, while others, like fougere trois are a 4-wheel scents

Actually, long time ago chatting with Dan (APR) I ask him about the parfum concentration of his splashes, he didn't want to disclose, but I am sure the parfum concentration of his splashes has to be at minimum equal if not higher than the expected for a cologne. Sometimes, I reckon you actually mentioned earlier in this thread, people says that they don't get the expected scent from the soap, but also because it is used in a soap, not in a splash or fragance, and the scents needs time to evolve. Since a long time, I normally buy first the splash (where I can try and enjoy the real scent), and then, if I like a lot, then I go for the soap and the parfum. Still, I have never found a scent from APR that I dislike. Some may suit better, but to say, all are pleasant and very well designed. Some are not for every day use, like Idoru, even if is fantastic, while others, like fougere trois are a 4-wheel scents
What is a 4 wheel scent?

Outstanding series of reviews, @steffenapelz :a14:.

I very much enjoy APR soaps, and have (of your reviewed soaps) Fenchurch, Ozymandias, Mycroft and Winterfell.
My absolute favourite APR soap is Fougère Bourbon Rose - it is amazing.

Outstanding series of reviews, @steffenapelz :a14:.

I very much enjoy APR soaps, and have (of your reviewed soaps) Fenchurch, Ozymandias, Mycroft and Winterfell.
My absolute favourite APR soap is Fougère Bourbon Rose - it is amazing.
I have FBR too. Two tubs (one alost gone), 2 splashes and some EdP. It was my first artisanal product ever in wetshaving some years ago. I hope It will make a comeback.

Top Bottom