What's new

Asylum RX razor

These responses are actually quite useful. I used a General on a loan from an incredibly generous member. It was a hair less close - maybe it was equal - to my iKon Tech (it was much more comfortable, however). I am used to aggressive razors, and am looking for something that can shave even closer than my iKon Tech. From speaking with @pbrmhl and borrowing his PAA DOC Evo, I know that there are razors out there that get my closer BBS than even my ikon tech. I am anxiously awaiting my turn with the Rx...

2011 R41 - The Quest Achieved!

Perhaps the above link would be useful to you...

Curious...Are trying to achieve BBS results or are you trying to get your BBS shaves to last longer?

That @pbrmhl is great... I am staying in the annual restraint by living vicariously through him. Given that my daily driver is an ikon tech, what's normal to most people is soft to me.

I have high hopes for the Rx with my feather pros...

I'm blushing...

Today I used my RX with a Kai Mild, and found it noticeably less aggressive than the Feather Pro, but almost as close. Part of the fun of the AC blade razors is that the shaves vary widely depending on the blade used. For me, shaves with DEs don't generally differ with the blade.

Part of the fun of the AC blade razors is that the shaves vary widely depending on the blade used. For me, shaves with DEs don't generally differ with the blade.

Pro super are wider than the pros. The pro super increases and has the most blade exposure. I believe the pros are wider than the Kai mild blades.

I believe all DE blade are the same size.

full

I'm blushing...

Today I used my RX with a Kai Mild, and found it noticeably less aggressive than the Feather Pro, but almost as close. Part of the fun of the AC blade razors is that the shaves vary widely depending on the blade used. For me, shaves with DEs don't generally differ with the blade.

+1. The FP worked ok for me with an RX but was a tad too aggressive. Using the FP caused me to consider selling the RX. Then I tried a Kai ProTouch and a Feather ProGuard. Both took the overly aggressive feel of the razor away but the shaves I was getting were just as close and efficient as the Feather Pro. It turned the RX into one of the best razors I've ever used.

I'm blushing...

+2 I concur with you on that Scott. I get extremely smooth shaves with any variant of Kai blades. But, the Feather Pro ramps it up just a notch. A good, sharp efficient notch that is.

i had loaned the RX to a fellow member and he returned it with a Kai, and I did notice a marked smoothness change, I still use the Feather pro, however since the RX only comes up in rotation about once a month, or when in a rush, since I use straights 90% of the time, the Kai's are definitely an option, super smooth. More and more the RX is a great option for someone who wants the shave as close to a straight as possible, with the convenience of a DE style. I may get shot for this, but i find the RX every bit as efficient as any of the Feather DX's I have. The only thing any of these sytems lack in the overall longevity of the shave feel, but not by a wide margin.

I've been using the Rx with the not-recommended Pro Supers and that's certainly a fierce shave...
...Then last night I switched down to a Kai Pink (8) and it was like a walk in the park - relaxed and pleasurable in every way.
IMG_7378.JPG

I am also pleased to discover that Kirko and Rx make beautiful music together :001_smile

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I'm blushing...

Pro super are wider than the pros. The pro super increases and has the most blade exposure. I believe the pros are wider than the Kai mild blades.

I believe all DE blade are the same size.

full

+1. The FP worked ok for me with an RX but was a tad too aggressive. Using the FP caused me to consider selling the RX. Then I tried a Kai ProTouch and a Feather ProGuard. Both took the overly aggressive feel of the razor away but the shaves I was getting were just as close and efficient as the Feather Pro. It turned the RX into one of the best razors I've ever used.

+2 I concur with you on that Scott. I get extremely smooth shaves with any variant of Kai blades. But, the Feather Pro ramps it up just a notch. A good, sharp efficient notch that is.

i had loaned the RX to a fellow member and he returned it with a Kai, and I did notice a marked smoothness change, I still use the Feather pro, however since the RX only comes up in rotation about once a month, or when in a rush, since I use straights 90% of the time, the Kai's are definitely an option, super smooth. More and more the RX is a great option for someone who wants the shave as close to a straight as possible, with the convenience of a DE style. I may get shot for this, but i find the RX every bit as efficient as any of the Feather DX's I have. The only thing any of these sytems lack in the overall longevity of the shave feel, but not by a wide margin.

I've been using the Rx with the not-recommended Pro Supers and that's certainly a fierce shave...
...Then last night I switched down to a Kai Pink (8) and it was like a walk in the park - relaxed and pleasurable in every way.
View attachment 783394
I am also pleased to discover that Kirko and Rx make beautiful music together :001_smile

+1, well put. I only find a very slight difference in longevity between the RX and my Straight. Very slight.
thanks guys. amazing that a different blade can be so transformative!

I received today full packages of Kai Captain Titan Milds, Kai Captains and Feather ProGuards. Before my RX, I only used Feather Pros and Super Pros in my Mongoose and Alumigoose, my other AC blade razors. The other AC blades were too mild. With the RX, every blade provides a different shave, all enjoyable. Counting my Kai Milds with Blade Guards, I now have a good supply of six different blades for my RX!

Been using my RX all week with a Kai guard. I continue getting SR quality shaves. I can even go against the grain on a patch on my neck that virtually no other razor except my SR has touched, with no irritation or ingrown.

This is a fantastic razor / blade combo for me. These AC shavette style blades are just wonderful. The RX is becoming my daily tool.

View attachment 783394
Part of the reason for "fierceness" may be that Pro Super , being 0.2 mm wider then Pro, doesn't fully sit behind the front tabs. It's possible to put Pro Super into RX but it would be leaning on tabs slightly so it's not completely flat asgainst the base and the angle is slightly different. I suiggest to take a look with magnifying glass. Also, it's possible that in later batches Phil did changes. I bought RX nearly immediately after it was available.

Part of the reason for "fierceness" may be that Pro Super , being 0.2 mm wider then Pro, doesn't fully sit behind the front tabs. It's possible to put Pro Super into RX but it would be leaning on tabs slightly so it's not completely flat asgainst the base and the angle is slightly different. I suiggest to take a look with magnifying glass. Also, it's possible that in later batches Phil did changes. I bought RX nearly immediately after it was available.
Yes - the Pro Supers fit ice cold behibd the tabs and do lay flat in my Rx.
And it is a wonderful shave!

Yes - the Pro Supers fit ice cold behibd the tabs and do lay flat in my Rx.
And it is a wonderful shave!

I'm confused...

Blade edge back, the Pro Super is wider than the Pro. In the General, the blade is held by pins that goes through the blade holes and the Pro Super offers more blade exposure than the Pro.

If I'm understanding things correctly, the RX has blade stops that control the blade exposure. If any blade sits up against the blade stops then the blade exposure is always the same with all blades.

My experience with the Pro and Pro Super is that one is not sharper than the other, the Super just offers more blade exposure in some razors.

So...Do you find the blade edge of the Pro Super to be sharper than the Pro?

Rabidus, I am going to put some photos when I am back home. Pro Super not only 0.2 wider then Pro ( the distance from cut outs to the back of the blade is the same , so this 0.2 addition is between cutouts to the edge / front of the blade) but it also sharper in a sense that edge angle is slightly smaller.

Regarding blade exposure ; these stops are touching very ends of the edge and these ends are not completely square but diagonal , like the very tip of the edge corner cut 45 degrees, so it's possible that exposure is bigger. I even wanted to file these front stops a little on my RX to ensure that Pro Super sits flat, but desided not to mess with 230$ piece of art.
I'll try to publish photos today.
If Phil slightly changed the front stops geometry in later batches, he didn't advertised it.
Also, may be the person who claims that hos Pro Super sits fluuly flat against the base, didn't pay attention that as as a results, cut outs on the back of the razor are not precisely in the back stops. It's impossible to see it when razor is assembled.

When I put standard Pros in my Rx, the blade edge does not quite contact with the stops.
When I put Pro Supers in then the edge does actually contact the stops and the blade still lays flat - honest!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Got the razor on Saturday, first shave Sunday. First shave was with Kai Pink blades, at a steep angle. DFS at best in three passes. Switched to Feather Pros on Monday and Tuesday. Great feedback, zero irritation, but still DFS/SAS at best. I could not figure out what was wrong. This morning, after two passes, I felt my face and there was tons of stubble. This is meant to be a great razor; why am I getting such lousy shaves?

So, I switched to a shallow angle, like I would use with a Feather AS-D2. Quick third pass. One of the smoothest shaves of my life. Zero irritation. Because I am used to an iKon Tech, shaving with this thing is a breeze. Not cut myself yet, and the razor is so forgiving I don’t really think I could. It got me, in one pass, as close as my iKon Tech, sans the redness and irritation that sometimes follow use of the Tech.

I really wish I wasn’t in an annual restraint!!

Just got shipping confirmation from Bullgoose......ahhhhhgggg the anticipation is killing me!!!!

Enviado desde mi moto g(6) plus mediante Tapatalk

Top Bottom