What's new

Asylum RX razor

I know pics...... It is one BADASS looking razor!! Let me wipe my chin... drooling..
IMG_0223.JPG
IMG_0224.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG

lol---I used to hang at Buds Hut----moved to Tampa in 2002---I worked on Woodbridge Center Drive for 15 years,across the street from the mall in the 10 story building----don't know if its still there.

Still there..... big changes. You wouldn't recognize it now. Stores, restaurants, the whole shebang. Hopefully Tampa is treating you well. Pretty sure the weather is. Just want this cold weather to roll out of here. I moved to North Brunswick about 4 years ago, after my divorce. Bought a condo here, she has the house in Avenel. What are you going to do? Keep moving. That's how the world turns I guess..... It's a pleasure meeting a fellow Jersian......

Pleasure meeting you too and I look forward to your review of the RX
I look forward to my shave with it also. But, still have at least one more shave with the OB. Trying to see how far I can get with the Feather blade in it. Perhaps Sunday mornings shave will be it's maiden voyage. If I can show some restraint, that is.......:001_302:

For one more time, I have to say that I like this razor a lot. It's great and I use it very often. But. Someone who likes shaving with SE razors will appreciate it more than DE users. That's why many were sold after a few tries. If you haven't tried any SE before, then maybe go buy a Schick, see if you like the way it shaves and then buy an Asylum. If you like the Schick-way of shaving, you'll love the Asylum.

For one more time, I have to say that I like this razor a lot. It's great and I use it very often. But. Someone who likes shaving with SE razors will appreciate it more than DE users. That's why many were sold after a few tries. If you haven't tried any SE before, then maybe go buy a Schick, see if you like the way it shaves and then buy an Asylum. If you like the Schick-way of shaving, you'll love the Asylum.

This is interesting. I have read this on here before regarding the preference to the RX from Schick injector aficionados. I have not shaved with a Schick since a teenager in the early 70s. I have both the ATT SE2 and the Asylum RX. I have gotten better shaves from the SE2 than the RX. I typically shave with a straight razor, but I have far more DE experience than SE. I suspect my results are an artifact of me having the DE experience.

Having said this, I did shave with the RX this AM, and the resulting shave was pretty sweet. I just seem to be able to slightly better with the SE2. Minute differences in shaving angle I suspect is the culprit.

This is interesting. I have read this on here before regarding the preference to the RX from Schick injector aficionados.

That's because they shave similar, the shaving angle is almost identical. It surely differs than other modern SE razors that take Feather AC type blades, like Mongoose and Rocnel. I read somewhere that Phil( Bullgoose) tried to make a razor that is similar to Cobra Classic but of a different material. I haven't tried the Cobra, but as a SE user, I must admit that he made a truly great razor.

... I haven't tried the Cobra, but as a SE user, I must admit that he made a truly great razor.

I have not tried the Cobra either, but I totally agree with your sentiments here about it being a great razor. I am confident that the subtle difference in result that I am able to get from the SE2 compared to the RX is totally due to user error on the part of the RX shave. I sense that I am getting too acute in parts as my mind wanders during the shave.

That's because they shave similar, the shaving angle is almost identical. It surely differs than other modern SE razors that take Feather AC type blades, like Mongoose and Rocnel. I read somewhere that Phil( Bullgoose) tried to make a razor that is similar to Cobra Classic but of a different material. I haven't tried the Cobra, but as a SE user, I must admit that he made a truly great razor.

I have not tried the Cobra either, but I totally agree with your sentiments here about it being a great razor. I am confident that the subtle difference in result that I am able to get from the SE2 compared to the RX is totally due to user error on the part of the RX shave. I sense that I am getting too acute in parts as my mind wanders during the shave.
I HAVE been the owner of a Cobra Classic (which is now in the capable hands of spidey9 Bob!) and it is a beautiful beautiful shaver.
It's problems were poor build quality, inconvenient and fiddly blade loading, lack of solidity and tricky grip.

The Asylum Rx shaves like the Cobra or better and addresses all these issues.
The more I think about it, the more the Rx might be the perfect razor.

I cannot think of a single criticism of this razor.

It shaves wonderfully, is designed brilliantly and built superbly. It feels great in the hand and on the face.
And it looks like a dream...

...And like the Cobra it's definitely Injector-style, like a Schick E with superpowers :001_smile

I HAVE been the owner of a Cobra Classic (which is now in the capable hands of spidey9 Bob!) and it is a beautiful beautiful shaver.
It's problems were poor build quality, inconvenient and fiddly blade loading, lack of solidity and tricky grip.

:001_smile

Definitely good to know. I have the Rx and like it. Beforehand, I had been trying to get a Cobra...but bidding on Ebay got to be ridiculous. So, the Rx has cured me from scouring the 2ndary market for a Cobra for sure.

I cannot think of a single criticism of this razor.

It shaves wonderfully, is designed brilliantly and built superbly. It feels great in the hand and on the face.
And it looks like a dream...

...And like the Cobra it's definitely Injector-style, like a Schick E with superpowers :001_smile

I had the cobra and King cobra and totally agree with this---The shave from the RX is miles ahead of both--and of course looks and build quality

I had the cobra and King cobra and totally agree with this---The shave from the RX is miles ahead of both--and of course looks and build quality

As stated, I have no Cobra experience, and it has been multiple decades since I used a Schick injector. I initially purchased this razor mainly due to a review that a friend did (Dave, @skypsyd) regarding how it shaved for him, and the impeccable design, fit and finish of the razor. I actually got the ATT SE2 first, and I had a couple of shaves under my belt with it when the RX arrived. Although the SE2 is very well executed, the design, fit and finish of the RX is second to none. Stan did a great job with the SE2, and it has always worked exceedingly well for me. But the RX is just plain sexy. Both razors will last multiple generations, likely as long as blades are made to fit them. But the RX will do it in style and class.

I have Rad and own SSmongoose, ATT SE1, Alumnigoose, Cobra classic and King Cobra. I received my Rx last week and although I think the King is a little more maneuverable the Rx gave a 2 pass BBS with small touch up and I don't have to worry that it will fall apart if I use it everyday like I do with the King. Anyone have a suggestion on how to keep the screw tight in the King Cobra?

Hello. To me, from most efficient and aggressive to least: Asylum Rx > ATT SE1 > SS Mongoose B1 > RR Hawk. This is with either a Feather Pro or Kai Mild blade with the Pro being more aggressive. The closest shaves are definitely achieved with the Rx, but they come at a price, since it is a bit too aggressive for me, even with the Kai Mild blade. Since I am an ATG shaver, the ATT SE1 strikes the better balance of aggressiveness and efficiency for me with the SS Mongoose coming second.

Hello. To me, from most efficient and aggressive to least: Asylum Rx > ATT SE1 > SS Mongoose B1 > RR Hawk. This is with either a Feather Pro or Kai Mild blade with the Pro being more aggressive. The closest shaves are definitely achieved with the Rx, but they come at a price, since it is a bit too aggressive for me, even with the Kai Mild blade. Since I am an ATG shaver, the ATT SE1 strikes the better balance of aggressiveness and efficiency for me with the SS Mongoose coming second.

I would second your vote regarding the ATT with the caveat that I have the v1, SE2. Many had stated that this head combination was very similar to the SE1, making Stan re-design the SE2 to be slightly more aggressive. I found the v1 SE2 to be about a perfect combination of mild, yet effective, when loaded with the Pro blade. The same razor when loaded with a Pro Super is very close to the RX with respect to aggressiveness and blade feel on the face. I too shave ATG on the 2nd and any subsequent passes.

Pleasure meeting you too and I look forward to your review of the RX
Haven't had the chance to try the RX yet, because of the OB test run. But now that it's done, tonight is RX time.... Looking forward to using this brilliantly designed shaving tool.....:em2300:

Top Bottom