What's new

Astra SP

An interesting finding:
When I first started wet shaving in April 2020, the first 100 pack of blades I bought was astra sp (green) they were horrible. I used it in a feather popular (my first de), gillette slim (first vintage), and everything else I got for a while. Then I gave up until recently when I got my henson. The astra sp did amazing in the Henson. I also heard they did great in the rex ambassador for several months but never tried it until recent.

It turns out the astra sp does amazing in the rex ambassador as well! So, lesson learned. Sometimes you should go back and try things that didn't work before.

Fayiz D.

I recently found out that most of the things that didn’t work out for me in the beginning were in fact caused by my use of Proraso preshave cream. Some of the blades that were horrible (probably they had a coating that doesn’t agree with the preshave cream) are now absolutely fantastic. So yeah, it pays off to revisit the “bad stuff” in different contexts, with a bunch of new parameters.

I recently found out that most of the things that didn’t work out for me in the beginning were in fact caused by my use of Proraso preshave cream. Some of the blades that were horrible (probably they had a coating that doesn’t agree with the preshave cream) are now absolutely fantastic. So yeah, it pays off to revisit the “bad stuff” in different contexts, with a bunch of new parameters.

+1! Good advice! Especially when dealing with kit that is generally well regarded on B&B! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

I've been reconsidering trying Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows. When I started I tried them and my notes indicated I didn't care much for them. Now that I'm all growed up and a big boy now with more experience I'm wondering if I should give them another go. Might have to hit up The Great Blade Exchange again to try them once more.

An interesting finding:
The astra sp did amazing in the Henson.
From the Henson FAQ page:
"We chose the ASTRA SP blades because they had the most consistent internal cut-out, which shows off the precision of the tabs that hold the blade. Our blades are not proprietary, you are welcome to use any standard DE safety razor blade in our Henson razors."

An interesting finding:
When I first started wet shaving in April 2020, the first 100 pack of blades I bought was astra sp (green) they were horrible. I used it in a feather popular (my first de), gillette slim (first vintage), and everything else I got for a while. Then I gave up until recently when I got my henson. The astra sp did amazing in the Henson. I also heard they did great in the rex ambassador for several months but never tried it until recent.

It turns out the astra sp does amazing in the rex ambassador as well! So, lesson learned. Sometimes you should go back and try things that didn't work before.

Fayiz D.
As your technique improves "all of a sudden" any (every?) blade becomes a great one 😀

I've been reconsidering trying Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows. When I started I tried them and my notes indicated I didn't care much for them. Now that I'm all growed up and a big boy now with more experience I'm wondering if I should give them another go. Might have to hit up The Great Blade Exchange again to try them once more.
I have found that they work grate in my r41. I do not care for them in milder razors for some reason.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I could be wrong but I remember charcoal goods including astra sp blades with a note actually recommending the blades.
I’ve always had good luck with sp not so much the ss blades.

Very similar to the Astra SP, which is pretty useless, for me anyways.

If you’re a mild razor / sharp blade kind of fella, and have any sort of tough stubble, I’d pass on the Yellow personally. I found the Russian Green to be way more effective, yet still not as good as a sharper blade like a Gillette Silver Blue, Permasharp, or Feather, etc.

Very similar to the Astra SP, which is pretty useless, for me anyways.

If you’re a mild razor / sharp blade kind of fella, and have any sort of tough stubble, I’d pass on the Yellow personally. I found the Russian Green to be way more effective, yet still not as good as a sharper blade like a Gillette Silver Blue, Permasharp, or Feather, etc.
I have Perma Sharps and like them; I have used GSBs and liked them as well. Feather for me was, as many people state, very sharp at first then two shaves later it was done. I haven't tried the greens yet, though. I do like Astra SPs, though.

I’m in the same boat. I have about 100 of them sitting in the linen closet. I didn’t hate them, but they weren’t my favourite. I should re-visit them.

I’m almost tempted to send an all out to trade my entire stock of blades for anyone that has Nacets or GSB’s. They’re my favourites.

Top Bottom