What's new

Astra SP vs Gillette Silver Blue (GSB)?

I think Astra blades are a great value, but I never got as good of shave from them as a few others and never got more than 3 or 4 comfortable shaves. Silver Blues are the only blade I could ever get 7 reasonably comfortable consecutive shaves from. My other favorites are Feathers, Polsilver Iridiums, Yellows, Blacks, and a host of others, but GSBs and Feathers are tops for me.

In choosing a DE blade, you need to consider four things: how tough is your beard, how sensitive is your face, how aggressive is your razor, and how good is your technique. If your beard is tough, you need a very sharp blade. If your face is sensitive, you need a very smooth blade. If you are using a very aggressive razor, you might be able to get away was a somewhat less sharp blade. If your razor is mild, you might be able to use a sharper blade. If your technique is excellent, you can use a very sharp blade in an aggressive razor. If your technique is poor, that combination can be painful.

I have a tough beard, so I like very sharp blades. I have a sensitive face, so I like very smooth blades. I use razors all the way from a very mild VDH/Weishi TTO to the aggressive Muhle R41.

Personally, I find Astra SP blades are neither sharp nor smooth. I can use them in a EJ DE89, but I do not get a great shave. In a mild razor, they simply are not sharp enough. In the aggressive R41 with significant blade exposure, they would feel quite rough.

I find that the Astra Superior Stainless blades are better than the Superior Platinum.

For me, the Gillette Silver Blue blades are a slight step up in both sharpness and smoothness, form the SPs; but they are still not what I am looking for on either metric.

I find that the 7 O'Clock Sharpedge Yellow blades are similar in sharpness to the Silver Blues, but they may be just a little smoother. They work well for me in the aggressive Muhle R41, but not so much in milder razors.

The blades that I find to be very sharp AND very smooth are the BIC Chrome Platinum, Gillette Nacets, 7 O'Clock Blacks, Personna Israeli Reds, and German made Wilkinson Swords. Initial testing of Dorco Prime Platinum blades indicates that they may have the potential of joining my list of favorites, but I have only used one blade in one razor, so it is too early to make that call.

Although the blades listed work extremely well for me, they are so sharp that you either have to use them in a milder razor, or your technique has to be quite good. They will cut you if you are using an aggressive razor and get the least bit careless.

I am not concerned about longevity. I seldom get more than three shaves from any blade before they become either too dull for my beard or too rough for my face.

Great analysis!! After a fair amount of trial and error, I would answer your four questions:

1. How tough is your beard? Moderate/mid-range (likely as I am not a barber).
2. How sensitive is your face? Again, moderate.
3. How aggressive is your razor? Tried a bunch before concluding I prefer mild/moderate razors.
4. How good is your technique? Good! Took awhile to get there.

This helps explain why I can get good/great shaves with a wide range of blades. The best provide 7plus fine shaves for me!! :a21: :a21:

I know this is an older post, but it is relevant and so is the input from everyone.

As a disclaimer, I never use a blade more than three times, regardless of how far I either think, or know, that I can push it...To me, it's not about longevity or economy; it's all about performance and comfort...Yes, some blades become finer with time, but if it takes time to become better, there isn't much use in trying to fight to get over the hump.

Sometimes, I judge the blade based on how things went immediately after the shave...How does the skin feel? Is there any irritation immediately afterwards? Nicks, blood, blah, blah, blah? Did I (or the blade) do a good enough job at mowing after feeling and looking for remaining stubble? Other times, I judge the blade based on how the next day's grow-in is feeling...Sometimes, the grow-back after using a sharper blade feels rather "prickly" or the whiskers feel "sharp" to the touch.

Using the first set of criteria, I find that the GSB provides a more efficient initial shave, but gives more of a "prickly" grow-back...I assume that this is based solely on sharpness...Yes, the shave and the post-shave feel great, but I need to keep in mind that this blade can nick if it is not respected.

The Astra SP gives a good shave and a good post-shave feel, but not as much as the GSB...However, the grow-back feels a little more gentle than the GSB.

On a side note, the Gillette greens (Russian) are a good compromise between the GSBs and the Astra SPs...They give a decent shave, but have a "smoother grow-back"...These are blades that I reserve for shaving if I have shaved the previous day...GSBs are good if you haven't shaved in a couple of days...Astra SPs also fall into that category of "I just shaved yesterday or the day before".

I would put Gillette yellows on a similar, but not equal, position with GSBs...They are close, but the GSBs win overall by just a hair...NACETS fall into a similar category.

All of these blades fall into my "hundred pack" list of candidates, but I will not exclude Feathers from my top list...These require the upmost attention and respect, but are my go too if I have neglected things for more than just a few days...Yes the grow-back is slightly "prickly", but the post-shave is unmatched.

GSBs, Astra SPs and Gillette greens (Russian) have to be my top three...Gillette yellows, NACETS and feathers have to be my next in line...I have some "old school" Super Iridiums, but they are saved for special occasions.

On a final note, I have no idea where Gillette Platinums got a place in the market...To me, they seem to be what someone wanted GSBs to be (presumably because of the word platinum), but they are junk in my book.

Many of my top tier blades are from PPI. GSB is a good blade, certainly better then the majority of other manufacturer's blades. But with in the PPI family, it ranks about average for me. I like Astra SP, Sharp Edge yellow, Perma-Sharp (gold), Platinum, Nacet better than the GSB.

I found GSBs to be a bit too sharp or harsh for sensitive skin; and Astra SPs used to be the blade I used only because it was the least uncomfortable blade I had tried over many years. Astras would sometimes pull stubble or not shear stubble--but they seldom irritated my skin if I was careful.

Then (image of sun breaking over the horizon) I found Rapira Platinum Lux blades. For me, by far, the best DE blade I've ever used for my wire-like stubble and sensitive skin. Supporting cast includes a Merkur 34C HD razor (or two); and after years of shaving with mugs, brushes, and scores of soaps, I tried Barbasol Sensitive Skin--I can hear B&B audience going no and adorning strands of garlic--can shave cream. Overlooking a lack of residual slickness, the cream delivers the most comfortable lather I've ever had. I admit, I've not tried all the available mug soaps, but of all I tried, none gave me as good a shave as the above Barbasol.

Simple answer, between Astra SP and GSB, I prefer Astra SP.

I prefer astra sp. The silver blue feels sharper but the astra sp feels smoother and with minimum to no cuts/nicks, Astra win :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Both are excellent blades but I find the GSB on first shave are smoother because of coating they use and Gillette Astra SP are excellent after 2nd shave for myself. Astra SP has better longevity so that is a little better than a GSB.
I have both and still prefer GSB for the first 4 shaves over the Astra but the Astra I can get more comfortable shaves per blade.
Astra blades are usually less money per 100 pcs it seems when I'm looking to buy also.
Best to have both blades if possible and find out yourself which one you prefer because every one has different beard types and skin sensitivity.

I've shaved with both blades and prefer Astra SP to GSB blades. Reason is I find GSB to be a bit harsh for sensitive skin. The only negative I have about Astra SP blades is the first shave with a new blade; it's as if one has to hone a new blade whilst doing shave one; however, the subsequent shaves on the same blade are decent but aren't the best blade for handling wire-like stubble. I found Rapira Platinum Lux does both well: cleaves stubborn stubble and is compatible with sensitive skin--and it doesn't require first-shave honing.

Top Bottom