What's new

Astra SP vs Gillette Silver Blue (GSB)?

hello guys,

how does Astra SP compare to GSB? which one is smoother/ sharper and offers a better shave?

interesting in hearing your opinions,

thanks

Both blades work very well for me. Astra SP's are my blade of choice and are very sharp AND comfortable. GSB's perform very similarly for me, but I'd say are a tad less comfortable (and probably a tad more sharp). With blades, it is very much YMMV. I'd suggest picking up a couple of each and give them both a try and see what works best for you.

When I first started DE shaving and I tried the Gillette Silver Blue, it became my favorite. Fast forward to now. I had a chance to try Astra Superior Platinum, which I had tried before but I just didn't like them all that well. I mean, they were ok, but not as good as the GSBs. So, when I re-tried the Astra SP blades, I experienced excellent shaves. I assume the reason for the difference in shaving experience with the Astra SP blade is due to increased experience in DE shaving. Right now, GSB and Astra SP blades are in my regular shaving rotation

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I like the Astra SP. I got 26 shaves from one, and it was a good balance of sharpness and comfort. In comparison, I barely scraped 10 shaves with a Silver Blue, and none of those shaves were as comfortable as the Astra.

I'd put Astra SP a touch higher than Silver Blue for both sharpness and smoothness. But Yellows are better than both, and Nacets are probably the sharpest I use, though less smooth than the Yellows which are my go-to.

How do you manage to get 26 shaves from an Astra SP blade? Does it have anything to do with the shaving soap you use?

In my personal ranking of blades, GSB is #5 overall and Astra SP is #9.
The way I look at them GSB is like show plane that going to look great and fly at a great speed, but for only so long before it can't perform at that high-level. Usually I get 6 DFS out of a blade.
Astra SP is a workhorse, more like a cargo plane. It will do what you need it to time & time again with a longer life. I have gotten 6 DFS, and can get a couple more decent shaves out of one blade.
Love them both, usually do a great job in any razor I use them in.
The one thing is that you can get the Astra cheaper then GSB. If I'm ordering on line, I'll always throw in a couple of tucks of the Astra to meet a minimum or just to have them.
Now that I read this, I might have to re-rank them.
The 4 blades ahead;

1 Zorrik Platinum
2 Rapira Platinum Lux
3 Feathers
4 Personna Platinum
Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I find GSB sharper, smoother and longer lasting than Astra sp; but that doesn't mean GSB is a better blade. The differences between the blades are minimal. Both blades are generally regarded as top tier blades and get a lot of likes from members with very few dislikes. You can't go wrong with either one. Buy a tuck of each and see which one best suits your face and technique. My guess is you will like both of them.

I think Astra SP is a much better workhorse blade than GSB and obviously has much better value at its price point; but GSBs really shine in smoother shaves, though the edge might not last as long. I prefer GSBs for that smoother shave, when I can have them.

I like both. Can't beat the price performance of the SPs. Slight edge to the GSBs for sharpness.

Astra SPs were by first beginner's 100 box purchase as as traditional wet shaving goes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
How do you manage to get 26 shaves from an Astra SP blade? Does it have anything to do with the shaving soap you use?

I get 10-14 shaves from most blades, but some go longer. Worst I've had is 6 shaves, not counting blades that were defective or Polsilver. Longest so far is 34 shaves, which was a Feather. No extra work or fancy technique, I just don't throw them away until they struggle to get me the shave I want in three passes, or they get uncomfortable to use. Nacet also gave me 10 shaves, and the Gillette Yellow did 32.

Top Bottom