What's new

Astra SP Quality?

Also a correction to above, the Gillette Platinum I tested wasn't the dark blue ones, it was the newer light blue Platinum which I didn't find anything special about.

Today I shaved with a Nacet for the first time. Very sharp blade, probably sharper then the Astra but didn't cut any closer for me and wasn't as smooth as the Astra but it's in the top 4-5 I've tried so far.

For me first place is Astra SP, second place Gillette GSB, third place Astra SS.

To go back to the Astra SS, the first tuck I used were very sharp and felt similar to the Nacet but were a little smoother then the Nacet. A very nice blade. The second tuck I only used one blade and found it nowhere near as sharp and found it similar to the mediocre blades like the Personna reds. I have 2 new tucks from RazorBladesClub to test out and hope to find they are both good as well. If so, I will likely order a full 100 pack.

Honestly, at least with the various blades I've tried and currently use, I can hardly tell a difference between any of them save for Feathers. I have close to a couple hundred Astra SPs left, Gillette Blues, Kais, Personna Labs, Wilkenson, Derby, etc. The biggest difference seems to be how many shaves I get from a blade. To be fair, I don't have a heavy, coarse beard and I use pretty benign razors - Feather AS-D2, Gillette Techs, a couple of Super Speeds, an Aristocrat and a 195 Fatboy. So YMMV.

That's interesting. For me it is quite easy to feel the difference in the blades. But I have fairly coarse hair which may change things. My first razor was the Feather Popular so I am well acquainted with mild razors. And my everyday is usually an R89 or EJ89 type razor.

For me the Astra SP and Gillette GSB were very similar feeling but my Astra SP's felt more consistent. I haven't tried the Kais, Lab Blues, Wilkinson or Derby blades yet but they are on my short list. Next up is likely the German Wilkinson Swords. I have a tuck of each of these mentioned but it takes awhile to test these things out.

That's interesting. For me it is quite easy to feel the difference in the blades. But I have fairly coarse hair which may change things. My first razor was the Feather Popular so I am well acquainted with mild razors. And my everyday is usually an R89 or EJ89 type razor.

For me the Astra SP and Gillette GSB were very similar feeling but my Astra SP's felt more consistent. I haven't tried the Kais, Lab Blues, Wilkinson or Derby blades yet but they are on my short list. Next up is likely the German Wilkinson Swords. I have a tuck of each of these mentioned but it takes awhile to test these things out.

Great blade selection!! Enjoy the comparisons!

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I can honestly say this concerning my Astra SP blades. They fall off quick for me as a head and face shaver. One head shave, one face shave and done.

I can honestly say this concerning my Astra SP blades. They fall off quick for me as a head and face shaver. One head shave, one face shave and done.
Have you tested more then one batch? My latest batch is similar where 2-3 shaves and it really drops off but they are by far sharper then my other Astra SP blades. My prior favorite batch of Astra SP I could easily get 4-5 good shaves and those blades were still better then any others for me. At the current price I am very happy with 2-3 shaves per blade or 4-5 shaves.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Have you tested more then one batch? My latest batch is similar where 2-3 shaves and it really drops off but they are by far sharper then my other Astra SP blades. My prior favorite batch of Astra SP I could easily get 4-5 good shaves and those blades were still better then any others for me. At the current price I am very happy with 2-3 shaves per blade or 4-5 shaves.
I have about 40 or so from one batch and several more from a couple blade samplers I ordered. So far, they have all performed the same for me.

Gillette/Petersburg Products International produces a lot of different blades, but they are only one of many blade manufacturers around the world. Gillette also manufactures blades in India, China, and Brazil. There is another blade manufacturer in Russia. Mostochlegmash is located in Moscow and makes Voskhod and Rapira blades. Vidyut is another manufacturer in India. There are also manufacturers in Egypt, Greece, Turkey, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Korea, and Vietnam. There may be others as well. There is even one remaining manufacturer in the USA, Accutec Blades makes Personna lab blues and med preps as well as GEM and PAL single edge blades.

For many shavers, Astra SP blades are great. They not super sharp, so they are not particularly good for folks like me who have coarse beards, but they work well for those with less coarse beards. They are not particularly smooth, so my sensitive skin does not like them. I much prefer the Astra Superior Stainless blades over the Super Platinum. In fact, the Astra SP blades are one of the few platinum coated blades that do not work for me.

I am with you when it comes to not caring for Astra SP blades. Everyone interprets razor blade feel differently. I have made some comparisons of razor blades using my USB microscope and the Astra SP blade edge looks jagged at 200x to my eye. They feel jagged to me as well. If they feel smooth to you then by all means keep using them.

Astra SP 200x
Astra SP BG 200X.jpg

Personna Israeli Red 200x for comparison
A New 200x.jpg

This why I don't recommend Astra SP blades to new shavers. Some of us can feel that jagged edge and new shavers have enough problems avoiding shave irritation without putting a rough edge to their skin.

I have tried Astra SP blades from various batches. I have purchased individual packs. I have gotten freed packs along with razors or soaps I have purchased. I even purchased a 100 blade bulk pack. I have tried hard to like Astra SP blades, but the best I can do it get a mediocre shave. I know that my old man, white beard is tougher than most. I know my skin is more sensitive than most, so I do not doubt that an average shaver can use the blades. They just do not work for me. Unlike some blades I have tried, I could shave with Astra SP if they were the only blades available, but I would not enjoy doing so. However, I am not fond of Gilletter Silver Blue or Gillette Platinum blades, either. The Astra SS blades are the least sharp Gillette blade I use, but I much prefer 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black), PermaSharp Super and Nacet.

Astra SP is the blade I started with and the one I use most of the time. I have had success with Astra SP, Feather, Kai, and PAA Platinum Strangelet. If I had to choose one it would be the Astra SP.

When it comes to blades and microscopes I trust a scanning electron microscope more than a USB one.

I would certainly recommend the Astra Superior Platinum to someone new to wet shaving. I would also recommend the Gillette 7O'Clock Super Stainless for the same reason, for consistently being the average blade when it come to sharpness.
Up until recently I was able to say, without any doubt, that Astra SP was the champion of consistency. I am more reserved these days.

When it comes to blades and microscopes I trust a scanning electron microscope more than a USB one.

I would certainly recommend the Astra Superior Platinum to someone new to wet shaving. I would also recommend the Gillette 7O'Clock Super Stainless for the same reason, for consistently being the average blade when it come to sharpness.
Up until recently I was able to say, without any doubt, that Astra SP was the champion of consistency. I am more reserved these days.

I too love the images generated by a scanning electron microscope. Our research lab had one where I worked and I sometimes needed to request SEM images. However, purchasing an SEM is not an option for the average shaver. Purchasing a decent USB microscope is an option. Just don't try to get away with one of the cheap 1-2 megapixel cameras. You need a minimum of 5 MP resolution. The resolution is more important than magnification.

Even though the Astra SP blades do not work for me, I do think they are a good choice for someone new to wet shaving as they are likely to work for most shavers. The 7 O'Clock Super Stainless greens are a good mid-sharp blade if the Astra SPs are not quite sharp enough. However, the Gillette Platinums and Gillette Silver Blue are in a similar sharpness range as the Super Stainless.

Honestly, at least with the various blades I've tried and currently use, I can hardly tell a difference between any of them save for Feathers. I have close to a couple hundred Astra SPs left, Gillette Blues, Kais, Personna Labs, Wilkenson, Derby, etc. The biggest difference seems to be how many shaves I get from a blade. To be fair, I don't have a heavy, coarse beard and I use pretty benign razors - Feather AS-D2, Gillette Techs, a couple of Super Speeds, an Aristocrat and a 195 Fatboy. So YMMV.
My experience is similar across the three brands I've focused on including Derby Extra, Astra SP and Dorco (both Prime and Stainless newer Vietnam production). Shaves are similar with Derby typically delivering 3 - 5 shaves and Dorco 10-12 with Astra in the middle. Technique makes a bigger difference with a recent shift to wetter/slicker lather significantly extending the above ranges.

These are pretty much all I ever use. I can throw one of those Sharks into my Star 100 and get a BBS with a couple of passes. It's a combination that works for me. The Astra SPs are my daily drivers, though, and have been for a long time. I use them in old Techs and get at least a comfortable and DFS. I've preferred them for a long time for my lifestyle needs.
IMG_0569.jpg

Blue Astras: Sharper, less smooth.
Green Astras: Smoother, less sharp.

Difference: negligible.

Truth: Great blade. Doesn't work well in every razor, but works brilliantly in the ones it does.

I am with you when it comes to not caring for Astra SP blades. Everyone interprets razor blade feel differently. I have made some comparisons of razor blades using my USB microscope and the Astra SP blade edge looks jagged at 200x to my eye. They feel jagged to me as well. If they feel smooth to you then by all means keep using them.

Astra SP 200x
View attachment 1499902

Personna Israeli Red 200x for comparison
View attachment 1499904

This why I don't recommend Astra SP blades to new shavers. Some of us can feel that jagged edge and new shavers have enough problems avoiding shave irritation without putting a rough edge to their skin.
I had the same experience, felt extremely jagged. Astra SP is by far the worst blade (for me) I’ve ever used and whatever comes in second is a very, very distant second. It was so jagged it seemed to avoid the beard and just go right for the skin. I’d have been better off shaving with a tiger shark tooth, or one of the traps from the Saw movie franchise. My face felt like it was covered in fire ants the rest of the day I never experienced anything like that before or since. Thankfully they were given to me and I didn’t have to pay for them.

I had the same experience, felt extremely jagged. Astra SP is by far the worst blade (for me) I’ve ever used and whatever comes in second is a very, very distant second. It was so jagged it seemed to avoid the beard and just go right for the skin. I’d have been better off shaving with a tiger shark tooth, or one of the traps from the Saw movie franchise. My face felt like it was covered in fire ants the rest of the day I never experienced anything like that before or since. Thankfully they were given to me and I didn’t have to pay for them.
Definitely same for me here too. I hadn’t used Astra blades for years, and got a few samples thrown in with my recent Rex Ambassador purchase. I figured it couldn’t hurt to give them a shot again, right?

Wrong. Coupled with the Ambassador’s relatively ‘blade forward’ design, it was terrible. It was the first time I swapped out a razor blade mid-shave!

Top Bottom