What's new

Astra SP: I finally get the love!

Since giving up cartridges for DE blades (followed by SE and injectors) last year, there's one blade that I keep coming back to even though it keeps disappointing me: the Astra Superior Platinum. No matter the soap or cream, I could never get a decent shave from it in my Merkur 38c. Most other blades play fine with my Barberpole, but not these (nor Super Iridiums).

Today I decided to load an Astra SP into my Fatboy. The results of a WTG on 9, XTG on 5 shave with Proraso green tube cream and an EJ Pure Badger brush: SUPERWICKEDAWESOME!:w00t: The blade practically sang through my stubble. My Clubman splash was the cherry on top of this sundae - no burn, just an invigorating finish to a zero-irritation, nick-and-weeper-free BBS shave.

After a week of great shaves, and a couple of amazing firsts (first time using Tabac soap and a Pella SE), I was very happy that I finally got to feel first-hand why these blades are so highly praised among B&B members. Added bonus (and the other reason I kept giving Astra SPs a chance): these blades are crazy cheap here in the Czech Republic (100 cost around 18 USD). Now I'll just have to check for consistency. But at that price, I can afford to be impulsive.:biggrin1: I doubt I'll give the Super Iridiums the same chance, since they're so much more expensive.

And to think I was considering blowing 100 USD on half the quantity of Gillette Swedes... Silly rabbit...:tongue_sm

Last edited:
It's good to hear you found a good combination of razor and blade. Perhaps you can try once again to use the Astra in the 38C to see if your technique was adjusting.

it's fascinating to see how some razor/blade combinations can be so effective and wonderful while the same blade in a different razor can be so utterly disappointing. it must be the synergy (or lack of it) between guard angle, blade gap and edge hone.

whatever it is, those sympathetic combinations are delightful to find.

congrats!

I love Astra SP's they are pretty much my go to blade (I like the Superior Stainless ones also) But much like you I don't get any love from my Merkur 38 with them either. But in any of my other razors they are great, to include my 39C slant.

Shawn

The ASPs are great blades(they don't bite!) and result in wonderful shaves; the Swedes are just as smooth-if not smoother and will give many more shaves in comparison.

marty

It's good to hear you found a good combination of razor and blade. Perhaps you can try once again to use the Astra in the 38C to see if your technique was adjusting.

Did just that this morning and got another fine WTG+XTG shave from the same ASP! The results with the Fatboy were only marginally better.

I suppose that my technique has improved, but I think that using Pinaud aftershaves has helped as well - since I started using Clubman and Bay Rum, my shaves in general have improved dramatically. Not sure why, but I'm not about to question it.

Anyway, now to check for longevity and consistency before buying a big ol' stack of these babies.

At this point the Israeli Red Personnas work best for me, but I would not be a bit sad if the Astra Platinums were the only blade I could find. Honestly, the main difference between the two for me is that I need one or two more "beard reduction" passes with the Astras but I almost never scrape myself with them as I sometimes do when careless or overly aggressive with the Personnas. So, it isn't a matter of quality, but more a matter of a risk/return balance I find comfortable. I like the Iridiums, too, as long as I don't forget that's what's in the razor. If I forget, they bite me. Feathers are more of the same, but I get an incredible shave with them if I can stop .. my .. mind .. from .. wand'ring , where it will go ... oh oh ... where it will go, oh oh. I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in, and keeps my mind from OWWWW!, crap, wet the styptic and grab the Band-Aid box! Oh, I'd better rinse this towel in cold water before it dries ... :lol:

A couple of days ago I used one in my Aristocrat (not sure which number - it's gold plated and the handle is similar to the Fatboy's) and was rewarded with an even better shave than those that my FB and 38c gave me with it! :thumbup:

This morning I decided to use a Feather in my Aristocrat and ended up switching it out for the ASP for my final XTG pass - the Feather was (and always has been) too rough. I am totally stocking up on these!:biggrin1:

I have a lot of respect for Sharks, but my new standard is Astra SP. Right now I'm working through a pack of Astra SS but I think the SPs stay smoother for more shaves.

These are relatively inexpensive, much less per hundred than Gillette Yellows or Gillette Blacks. I will be comparing with Yellows and Blacks over the summer and see how they might differ. But for now does anyone following this thread have any comments on comparing Astra SPs with Yellows or Blacks?

Doug

I liked the sharks but I didn't find them as smooth as the Astra SP or the Iridium Super's (my 2 favorites). The yellow Gillette 7O'clocks I did not like at all, they tore up my face and seemed harsh / not smooth at all but some love them.

The Astra SPs are my go-to blade, very sharp yet still smooth. Also one of the cheaper blades out there, with no extra charge for glue spots.

The asta SP became one of my favorites after having my curiousity raised by reading several post on B&B. Then I lucked out and placed an $8 bid, (ebay) for 150 blades and won. Great price. Like it seems everybody else, Feather, 7 O Clock sharp, (yellow) and Iridium are still my current favorites due to getting only 2 good shaves from the Astra SPs

Top Bottom