What's new

ASP - ATG SINGLE PASS

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Heading back to the fold by taking a few days off between shaves.

John, if you try ATG single pass with your straights, you might consider stropping your finished edges on balsa strops pasted with 0.5μ, 0.25μ, and 0.1μ diamond sprays. Or not. That’s what I got off the internet and not first hand.

Heading back to the fold by taking a few days off between shaves.

John, if you try ATG single pass with your straights, you might consider stropping your finished edges on balsa strops pasted with 0.5μ, 0.25μ, and 0.1μ diamond sprays. Or not. That’s what I got off the internet and not first hand.
Waiting on my Balsa. I will just be going with .5 micron. The 12k is equivalent to 1 micron. Want to keep it as simple as possible early going. I still haven’t accomplished a full shave yet. ATG is pencilled in on the fantasy card. I’m studying up on Slash Mcoy‘s site; How to Buy, Hone, Maintain, and Use a Straight Razor - http://www.growleymonster.com/index.html

thombrogan

ATG is pencilled in on the fantasy card.

Thanks for the link. Bookmarked.

Slash and camoloc are the folks I’ve read doing ATG first pass shaves with a straight razor. KrstGor does so with an Artist Club shavette. There must be more. I know one’s on his way.

thombrogan

Honing up the straight will have to wait. At least trying it.

Finally waited more than two days between shaves and everything became easier to do and easier on my skin.

I do ATG first (and only) pass on my neck, with straight razors. Well, my hair grows in all directions there so it is more a south-to-north pass. It's enough for me on the neck.

I shall start doing it also with DEs, but needs to be an efficient one like the Fatip

I do ATG first (and only) pass on my neck, with straight razors. Well, my hair grows in all directions there so it is more a south-to-north pass. It's enough for me on the neck.

I shall start doing it also with DEs, but needs to be an efficient one like the Fatip
I’m going onto my sixth Straight Razor shave, very much learning the basics. The Fatip Gold Grande+Feather is DE perfection for me. I was exclusively doing ATG Single Pass shaves with the Grande and Lo Storto. Grande provides slightly better skin comfort and a solid BBS. Lo Storto provides a closer BBS and a little less skin comfort. Grande is my favourite DE razor. I have used my Piccolo for one AGT single pass and got a nice BBS. I only single use the Feathers. Fatip Open Comb DE’s are the only DE’s I use.

9CB4E8CD-D3C9-4136-BAED-DBC37555484E.jpeg

Honing up the straight will have to wait. At least trying it.

Finally waited more than two days between shaves and everything became easier to do and easier on my skin.
I was trying out fourth day. For max comfort five day length works best for me. DE and SR. Sometimes it is not only the skin recovery time. Whisker length for cutting can add or subtract skin comfort for sensitive skin. You have to try the combos out always go after comfort. Comforts last stop for me has always been more efficiency.

thombrogan

It’s a balance between avoiding irritation from over shaving and from whiskers scratching against the skin. Towards the latter, I’m finding from improving my posture. For the former, there’s that waiting thing I keep seeing mentioned.

It’s a balance between avoiding irritation from over shaving and from whiskers scratching against the skin. Towards the latter, I’m finding from improving my posture. For the former, there’s that waiting thing I keep seeing mentioned.
Yes everybody’s balance is different and specific. Comfort based decisions always achieve good shaves.

thombrogan

Found my way back into this thanks to my MMOC.

Was trying to teach myself all the things that would safely let me transfer from safety razors to straights and shavettes, but the combs and caps on safety razors will let me get the shaves I want with much less fuss and ever so slightly less risk.

Found my way back into this thanks to my MMOC.

Was trying to teach myself all the things that would safely let me transfer from safety razors to straights and shavettes, but the combs and caps on safety razors will let me get the shaves I want with much less fuss and ever so slightly less risk.
Was trying to teach myself all the things that would safely let me transfer from safety razors to straights and shavettes,
Thom opinions given are with Nine SR Shaves. There is no safe transfer to straights. It’s a different game. My DE shaves All of Them at this point are BBS, no exceptions. The Quality of the BBS is all that I rate or grade In a shave. I Do Not have poor or mediocre DE shaves. I use the Same Sharpness Blade every time. No adjustment required. The same pre shave routine every time. The same lather ever time. I rotate seven familiar brushes no two the same. I use them exactly the same way in lather development and enjoy their subtleties. My lather is always Perfect every time. A lot of moving parts. I’ve worked out all those moving parts in My Shave to work in the most Excellent Fashion EVERY TIME.
Now the shave. DE, SE, Shavettes, Straights, other than a sharp blade not much in common. Shavettes and Straights Might Be first cousins. An edge without a guard. A shavettee is a razor that holds a manufactured disposable blade same as DE & SE. A straight you are holding The Blade. Hopefully you have scraped that blade over a rock and got the kind of edge You Want. That is a Monster difference. Not the same game. Unquestionably in my mind I am a Grande Jedi. If I were to use your MMOC it would be a mediocre shave at best first one. Within three shaves I’d have it figured out for touch and be getting consistent BBS shaves. I’m making that statement without ever having used a SE. A razor holding a manufactured disposable blade.
Yes a SR is a manufactured blade. You are responsible for the edge and you are holding onto the Blade. Soft touch for any and all of these are the same. You use a Soft Touch or you don’t. That and the edge on skin are the only similarities everything else is different. If being a good DE shaver somehow makes it easier or simpler to transfer to Straights I definitely missed that train.

the combs and caps on safety razors will let me get the shaves I want with much less fuss and ever so slightly less risk
Sharp blades. Soft touch. My mantra. Regardless of edge used. The only similarities I can find. Pick a game develop it to your satisfaction and than try another. I can assure you they are different. Everybody in the band are reading and using the same notes. Music.

Agreed. Shavettes are just safety razors with two caps. But they’re held similar and you don’t have to hone or strop.
Honing and stropping were very big draws for me with the SR Thom. I’ve only had nine shaves. Acquired 5 sharpening stones. I have a CNAT (Chinese Natural Stone) in the mail. 4 fabric strops. 1 Bovine 2 Equine strops and more on the way. I’ve curtailed my balsa strop to a .5 and will stay with that for the early going. My mind and heart draws me to the rock. JNAT and Nagura fantasies. A piece of steel in one hand a rock in the other. Full Primal. Ultimately the shave. Incidental. It’s always about the edge.

thombrogan

CNATs, JNATs, slate, jasper. You might even have sedimentary rock of equivalent or superior quality at your local landscape supply center just waiting to be sliced into a 210mm x 70mm x 20mm finisher non-pareil.

I’ll stick with the ATG Single Pass rabbit hole for now, but do very much enjoy reading of your voyage with open blades.

thombrogan

Today is the USA’s “Thanksgiving.”

Even in this dumpster fire of a year, Creation has given my family essential blessings for which I’m eternally grateful and spoiled beyond comprehension.

But for the sake of this thread, I’m thankful to have found the right angle for my Fatip Grande and hydration for my lather to improve the effectiveness and comfort of my ATG single pass shaves.

Even in this dumpster fire of a year, Creation has given my family essential blessings for which I’m eternally grateful and spoiled beyond comprehension.

But for the sake of this thread, I’m thankful to have found the right angle for my Fatip Grande and hydration for my lather to improve the effectiveness and comfort of my ATG single pass shaves.
Happy Thanksgiving USA. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones Thom.

I’m thankful to have found the right angle for my Fatip Grande
Exploring the steep and shallow angles of the Grande was the most exciting part of DE shaving for me.

thombrogan

Many thanks!

My favorite angle with the Fatip is steep because the comb feels so soothing, but my skin’s favorite angle is shallower than that, but not so shallow that rounding the chin bone is a challenge.

thombrogan

Got a little better at stretching the skin on my face and neck to get smoother/flatter shaving surfaces and just barely undid the amount of soap in my lather and my ATG single pass + pickup shave got more comfortable during and after.

thombrogan

Quantum leap forward on last shave thanks to @JoWolf ! It made so many lessons I failed at applying in the pass ”click” by being the lesson I needed to read and my frame of reference was such that it put so many other pieces in place.

Had one of my closest and least irritating shaves last night and it was ATG only. With the pickups needed, I can’t say it was a single pass, but the job of keeping blood on the inside of the skin was deliberately accomplished instead of being left to well-intentioned spirits.

Top Bottom